Raul's Film Thoughts

→ in
Tools    

Their culture really amazes me now, I'm looking into the history of it as we speak.

It was a good film. Although I have to tell this.. I lived in Alaska off and on in the 80's and there were lots of drunk natives in Fairbanks on the street. The local Fairbanksens, always referred to them as "Nanook of the North". I don't think any of them ever saw the film. I hope it is better now.

So, oddly, in Alaska in the 80s it was very much a derogatory term. Go figure..

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Allied

Pretty Good. When I first heard of the movie, it seemed like something that would be great. Zemeckis is a talented director. There are times where I felt the story lulled, and that is my biggest criticism. Pitt was decent and I really liked Cotillard. I did not see the ending coming, yet I had certainly wished for something a little better than that. Almost as if it took the easy way out, so to say. The dialogue sometimes felt a bit twisted in that maybe their was too many subtitles but I suppose it laid the groundworks for the story. In conclusion, somewhere in the middle is where I would place this.

+

I have to return some videotapes.
I enjoyed Allied. I didn't expect it to be amazing because Zemeckis and Pitt have been lackluster lately but I was genuinely impressed. It was a good popcorn flick and the ending was really well done.

Inside Man

Considering how many Denzel Washington movies I like, this one is pretty far up there for me. The storytelling is very tense, the acting is great throughout. I thought Washington was the best but Clive Owen and Jodie Foster were excellent as well. Also the supporting roles from Christopher Plummer and Ejiofor were really good too. This is an easy movie to put in in the background at my house but I always get suckered in and watch it like a hawk. I got to recommend this to those who haven't seen it. It's easily Spikes best movie for me.

+

Haven't seen Inside Man since the theater. Haven't seen any Lee in quite a few years. I need to get to his stuff again. Malcolm X is the only one I really care for out of the half a dozen I have seen.

Did you like Inside Man Sean?
I remember thinking it was decent. That ending is real good. Like you I always love Denzel. That doesn't always translate to loving his movies though.

Palm Beach Story

I'm pretty sure this was my first Sturges film, and I blind bought it after looking into other Claudette Colbert films. She was excellent in It Happened One Night. I thought she was really good in this and I liked McCrea's performance as well. However, the character who played Hackensacker really really bugged me. To the point that he is solely responsible for losing a few stars for this film. When I read into the film, it seems as if many think he is the highlight, but I felt his acting to be rather bland and he wasn't that funny at all. I also didn't care for Toto but luckily he was not in the film very much. This is a screwball comedy as well and it had me chuckle at a few parts. The premise of the film I was OK with and it was executed pretty decent but the aforementioned issues with acting leave this as average for me based off of a first watch.

Manchester by the Sea SPOILERS!

An extremely heavy film. I had very high expectations going in and it managed to even surpass those expectations. I am absolutely grateful that I got to see this and experience it in the cinema. I meant to see it yesterday but I was suffering from a miniature anxiety attack, which because of what happens in this film, seemed to make it even more relatable to me. I think I connected very well with these characters. Casey Affleck gives a performance of a lifetime. I've heard negative things of what is going on in his real personal life but I have strayed away in reading it because I didn't want it to effect how I felt about this film. I say we give him the Oscar now. Michelle Williams, although not on the screen for long, was absolute brilliant in her scenes. There really isn't one scene of hers that didn't seem to move me. Lucas Hedges gave a performance comparable to the male version of Shailene Woodley in The Descendants. His acting felt so real to the situation to me, trying to divert his life catastrophes as much as possible by surrounding himself with his friends, his hands, and his girlfriends. I absolutely liked the rest of the supporting cast as well. It was especially good to see Kara Hayward in a movie again, I think she's real talented. Or she was in Moonrise Kingdom anyways.

There's a certain something about films centered around tragic deaths that I can relate to. I love how Lonnergan doesn't hold anything back. He shows us the brutal reality of the tragedy that life can be. I give him a lot of credit for that. Some of these scenes are so heartbreaking. When Lee sees his brother after he arrives there and equally as heartbreaking is when Patrick sees him. But the most heartbreaking scene is without a doubt the flashback fire scene. Perhaps one of the most tear-jerking scenes I've ever seen. It got me. It also got me at the end when Lee said he can't beat it. He really wants to be there and be Patrick's caretaker, but he can't bring himself to do it. Also heartbreaking, the scene where Lee runs into Randi in Manchester and she asks him to go for lunch. He is so haunted by his past that he is afraid to have anything to do with things which were a part of it.

In the end, a lot is left on the table and up for interpretation. I like that. This is probably my favorite film of this decade, and if it isnt, it sure comes close. It gets the perfect rating from me. I feel like I'm doing the film injustice by not talking about it enough, but it was a lot to take in at one time but I will surely revisit it again. It's impact has it on the precipice of being one my top 10 after only one watch.

Awesome flick Raul. That Williams scene where she asks him to lunch will probably be my scene of the year. Really tremendous film.

Hated this movie...for my money, Denzel's worst performance...to me, this was a hostage drama where no one seemed to care about the hostages, everyone involved just seemed knee deep in their own issues and it was never really made clear who Jodie Foster's character was working for.

Awesome flick Raul. That Williams scene where she asks him to lunch will probably be my scene of the year. Really tremendous film.
Yeah I keep thinking about so many scenes. That one may very well end up being my favorite as well. But that flashback scene and then I can't break it scene are two other contenders.

Yeah I keep thinking about so many scenes. That one may very well end up being my favorite as well. But that flashback scene and then I can't break it scene are two other contenders.
Beginning a sentence with a conjunction.

Here is an alternative sentence:

Yeah I keep thinking about so many scenes. That one may very well end up being my favorite as well. Flashback scene was yes indeed very good and the I cant break it scene was also very good yes.

Your Welcome,
Typo_Bot

Beginning a sentence with a conjunction.

Yeah I keep thinking about so many scenes. That one may very well end up being my favorite as well. Flashback scene was yes indeed very good and the I cant break it scene was also very good yes.
This guy is going to love my posts. Here's hoping he sticks around.

This guy is going to love my posts. Here's hoping he sticks around.
Not establishing a subject

The incredibly handsome and attractive Typo_Bot is going to despise my typo ridden posts. Heres hoping he stays on the site for a long long time.

Your Welcome,
Typo_Bot