Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

→ in
Tools    

Humm, I didn't have a problem with bad lighting, nothing looked too dark like they were trying to hide things and so on.
Ok. Maybe "dark" was wrong word considering what I meant. For example if you look the IMDB photos of the movie (photo # 60 - 110) you can see that in several of them the surroundings are dark (or blurred) and details are hidden. The photo with the automobile kind of plows the whistle. The quality of the computer effects is not so good... So no wonder details are kept hidden.

I'm genuinely surprised at how bored I was watching this. I kinda liked the first one, and I like all sorts of takes on Holmes (even though this one is particularly far from the original), but...meh.

Part of it is expectation. The introduction of Moriarty, and the constant reference to games both in the title and early in the film, suggests some kind of battle of wits. And I love movies like that. But there really isn't any to be found. There's a lot of moving from one set piece to the next without a lot of context (though each set piece is lovely), and not really much in the way of mind games between the two.

And while I get that you can have a different kind of Holmes now and again, the one you can't ever ditch are the deductions. And superficially, they're here...but they're more like conjecture. The brilliance of Holmes' is supposed to be that they're based on probabilities and sort of make sense when you look back at them. But if, even after his explanation, it's not really clear how he got from Point A to Point B, the whole effect is lost. Like any good riddle, part of you should wonder why you didn't see it after it's explained to you.

Lots of little things, too; the dialogue isn't as crisp as it was last time. Some of it's just sloppy. When Watson tells Holmes he's "lost a few pounds," Holmes responds that "you've picked them up." Which would be a fine, witty parry if Watson had said he'd dropped a few pounds. Otherwise, the in-kind response is "and you appear to have found them," or somesuch. All these exchanges had the cadence of witty banter, but not the wit.

The scene at the end juxtaposed with the game was good. It didn't feel very Holmes-ian, but it was very well staged and even fairly dramatic. I wish the whole film had been more like that.

Lovely to look at, though, I'll give it that.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Not as good as the 1st, but then again not terrible either. To me Downey can move every movie up a couple of notches by presence alone. Same with McAdams, though she's not in this much.

Agree it isn't a great movi but I liked it just for being a fun movie

I liked it too. I've read all of Doyle's Sherlock Holmes and I think it did the books justice.

I preferred the first one much much more!
I found this one abit boring...