Is YOUR favorite movie an Oscar winner?

Tools    

Yes, this is stolen from today's poll on IMDb, but I thought it would be a fun discussion for here on MoFo.

Is yours a winner, and if not, which do you think was the most surprising snub? Did it win one, but feel it deserved something else?

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind won for Best Original Screenplay and was nominated for Best Actress in a Leading Role, for Kate Winslet. Still convinced Jim Carrey should have won Best Actor.

No, Vertigo was only nominated for Best Art Direction and Best Sound. Where do I begin with the snubs??? Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actress, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Original Score... the list goes on and on.

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
Hell to the yes!*

Best Cinematography
Best Visual Effects
Best Makeup
Best Original Score

*Ian McKellan should have won Best Supporting Actor, damn it!

A system of cells interlinked
Negative.

No staues for Blade Runner.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Jaws won Best Musical Score, Editing and Sound. It was nominated Best Picture, but it got snubbed for Director, Screenplay, Actor, Cinematography, etc.

Nope. It's a Wonderful Life was nominated for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Film Editing and Best Sound-Recording, but didn't win any. Capra did get a Golden Globe for Best Director and Spain's Cinema Writer's Circle Awards gave it Best Foreign Film, if that means anything.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Well I went with the whole Lord of the Rings trilogy and in total it won 17 Oscars.

Best Picture (should have won for all three films!!! )
Best Achievement in Sound Mixing
Best Art Direction-Set Decoration
Best Costume Design
Best Director
Best Editing
Best Makeup x2
Best Music, Original Score x2
Best Music, Original Song
Best Visual Effects x3
Best Sound Editing
Best Writing, Adapted Screenplay
Best Cinematography

decided to extend and do my whole top 10

Back to the Future - 1 (Best Effects, Sound Effects Editing)
Truman Show - 0
Die Hard - 0
Rocky - 3 (Best Picture/ Best Director/ Best Film Editing)
Raiders of the Lost Ark - 4 (Best Art Direction-Set Decoration/ Best Effects, Visual Effects/ Best Film Editing/ Best Sound)
WALL-E - 1 (Best Animated Feature Film of the Year)
Princess Bride - 0
Donnie Darko - 0
Hero - 0

So of my 10 favourite films ever, 5 won absolutely no Oscars at all! And only 2 won Best Picture.

No.

Quills received nominations for Best Actor in a Leading Role (Geoffrey Rush), Best Art Direction - Set Direction, and Best Costume Design.

Best Actor went to Russell Crowe for Gladiator, Best Art Direction - Set Direction went to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Best Costume Design went to Gladiator.

Chinatown

Polanski's Chinatown (1974) was nominated for eleven Oscars, so one could hardly call it "snubbed". It did have the dumbluck misfortune of being released the same year as The Godfather Part II, which won six Oscars, including Best Picture and Best Director. The one Oscar Chinatown did win, appropriately enough, was Robert Towne's script for Original Screenplay (Godfather II won for Adapted).

Other than Screenplay, Chinatown was nominated for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Cinematography, Best Score, Best Costume Design, Best Art Direction, Best Editing, and Best Sound. The one of those losses that really burns me (pun intended) is John Alonzo's Cinematography, where The Towering Inferno somehow won. I think it was probably getting extra points for its special effects, that didn't have a separate category at that time. The Great Gatsby won for Costume Design, which looking back doesn't make much sense. Art Carney was the sentimental winner as Best Actor that year, for the sweet but inconsequential Harry & Tonto, beating out not only Nicholson's performance but also Pacino in Godfather II, Dustin Hoffman as Lenny, and Albert Finney in Murder On the Orient Express. Carney seems like a very nice man, but I don't know how you defend that as anything other than career-achievement-overcorrection, as I think most would agree it is the weakest of the five nominees.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chinatown Car.jpg
Views:	1067
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	7486  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Red River - not sure. I really have not taken the time to look it up. I would think Clift would have been nominated for best supporting actor, but I can't say for certain. I realize a simple trip to IMDB would solve this.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

There are those who call me...Tim.
Yup, Good Will Hunting won Best Supporting Actor (Robin Williams) and Best Original Screenplay (Matt Damon and Ben Affleck).

Woop!

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Nothing for Man on Fire, of course my list would go on and on, but I won't do that.

I do have 3 that won best picture in my top 10 though: Million Dollar Baby, A Beautiful Mind, and Unforgiven

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I can never decide what my favorite movie is, but more often than not, I go with The Big Lebowski, and no, that never won an Oscar. A lot of the people IN it have, just not for that particular film.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

HEAT is my favorite movie probably. i dont put much stock in oscars, b/c they rarely give them to the most deserving film. its all agenda anymore. that being said, im not quite sure if heat won any, but it definitely shouldve gotten best picture and best director(michael mann)at least. it has, by far, one of the coolest scenes, where pacino and de niro sit down and have coffee together. the cop and thief giving respect to each other. awesome film.

Yes! Titanic won 11 Oscars, including Best Picture and Best Director. Favorite movie of all time! Kate Winslet and Leonardo Dicaprio did an amazing job portraying their respective characters!