Movies That Try To Cash In On Trends/Fads/Crazes

Tools    

Well, even in The Net, I think they used 3.5" floppy disks. Today you'd see USB flash drives, and in a few years from now, what other portable devices would we be using?
lol very true. I just watched that for the first time a couple weeks ago and the way they were using floppy's I'm not sure they were even capable of holding that much info in the first place. But I was more thinking of 'the world wide web' as opposed to the technology they were using to get on it. I believe that will be around for a very long long time.

Originally Posted by Austruck
I realize every movie dates itself, though. Hard not to. Especially with technology. I was flipping channels semi-recently and saw some movie with a character using one of those gargantuan "portable phones" from the '80s that was the size of a large brick. Hilarious to look at now.
Ha Ha that is funny. I remember my friend in the early 90's was bragging about his new cell and I'm like "sweeeet". Now when I think back it looked like one of those army walkie talkies heheh. Weird how like 3 years later the cells went down to the size of my hand. Now they are changing so rapidly that almost every year you can date a movie alone just by viewing the cell phones they use.

Any Comic Book Film Made After Spiderman
Any comic book film, period--Casper, Popeye, Dick Tracy, Superman, Batman, Spidey, Ghost Rider, you name it. I'm just not interested. (One exception--the first Batman but only because of Nicholson's over-the-top rendition of The Joker. Now that was something!)

I hear "Larry the Cable Guy" has made a movie, obviously cashing in on Redneck humor that seems to be selling now, as "Kings of Comedy" did with black comedians.

Reminds me of all the old "Ernest goes to Camp," "Ernest Saves Christmas" that cashed in on a character created for a TV commercial (I think here in Houston). Who'd have thought that would go anywhere, know what I mean, Vern?

I have to return some videotapes.
For some reason Pirates of Silicon Valley comes to mind.

Put me in your pocket...

Perfect (1985)....Starring John Travolta and Jamie Lee Curtis. Cashing in on the aerobics craze of the '80's. Oh...how I remember those days.

And, I'm not sure if this really qualifies...but my dad was recently talking about when he looked to buy a home in the 1950's and saw homes with fall out shelters built underneath the driveways...and it made me think of...

...Blast From the Past (1999).

Never Back Down (2008)

Definately trying to cash in on the popularity of mixed martial arts.

Horrorphiliac

For some reason Pirates of Silicon Valley comes to mind.
Ohh yeah. Mos def.

Parkour
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0968767/

really?
yes really

The new James Bond cashed in first with the openning chase scene

What's Parkour?

You're a Genius all the time
The Real Cancun comes to mind; it seemed to be a poor attempt at cashing in on both the surge in reality television and, sorta/kinda, spring break.

That said, there are two truly blatant examples of this. One is Y2K, a TV movie which came out in (duh) 1999, and depicted a nuclear meltdown (or something) amidst panic and chaos around the turn of the millennium.

The other is From Justin to Kelly, which tried to shamelessly ride the American Idol crest.

Of course, it didn't work; it didn't even manage to recoup half of its modest $12 million budget at the domestic box office.
I thank Jesus every night From Justin to Kelly and The Real Cancun flopped as miserably as they did. Can you possibly comprehend what would have happened had those films become runaway success stories? We'd have to endure a new Big Brother or Kid Nation flick every month. If the studios thought these films would bring back any kind of significant return, they'd be pumping them out like gangbusters. "Reality" TV movies are dirt cheap to make; you've got a cast of unknowns, amateurish crews and something that in only the broadest terms can be called a script. It's every producer's wet dream. "Reality" television has considerably dumbed down an already dumb medium. If it were to infect cinema in the same way it has television, I just don't know what I'd do.

So, you know... Thanks again, Jesus!

Welcome to the human race...
What about movies that try to cash in on videogames in general?

eXistenZ, Grandma's Boy, Stay Alive...those are a few off the top of my head.