Best Science Fiction Movie - All Time

Tools    

I don't remember asking you a ******* thing!
Here are my best sci-fi films (in no real order)

Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
The Matrix
Blade Runner
Minority Report
2001: A Space Odyssey
A Clockwork Orange
Alien
Aliens
Terminator 2: Judgement Day
Wall-E
Total Recall
Serenity
The Fifth Element

Let's make a quick top 10:

1) Brazil

2) A Clockwork Orange

3) 2001: A Space Oddysey

4) Star Wars Trilogy (Empires Strikes Back is the best one)

5) Blade Runner

6) 12 Monkeys

7) The Matrix

8) Inception

9) Back To The Future

10) Artificial Intelligence

(There were many other candidates, but I just made some fast decisions)

From what I have seen.

The Best:

Brazil
A Clockwork Orange
Blade Runner
The Thing
WALL-E
Minority Report
Back to the Future
Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope
Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back

Good:

La Jetée*

Planet of the Apes

Inception

The Terminator

The Matrix
E. T. the Extra-Terrestrial
Star Trek
(2009)
Donnie Darko

The Iron Giant

Looper
Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Other decent films (or not films that I would class as strict sci-fi):

Solaris
(2002)**
The Host
Frankenweenie
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Mad Max / Mad Max 2***

-----

Probably missed a few, tried to use my top 150 and my IMDB list filtered by genre.* Not seen Twelve Monkeys
** Not seen original Solaris and need to re watch this one
*** Included because TokeZa included the first on his list

I am a huge fan of science fiction movies and indeed over 20 of my top 100 favorite movies are science fiction movies.

Notice also the high number of anime titles on my list (about 10). I have come to believe that most good science fiction exists in the form of anime: there are more good anime science fiction series and movies than good American science fiction series and movies, though I have just began to explore it. In five years expect my top 50 favorite science fiction movies list to be half anime.

Anime science fiction tends to be superior to hollywood science fiction because the tiny budget of anime films compared to live action science fiction movies allows the director much greater artistic freedom. Hollywood science fiction movies must have huge budgets to pay for the dozens of millions of dollars of special effects and thus need to be dumbed down to please a large public. The average anime film needs to sell only about 10,000 DVD/Blu ray units in Japan plus some time on TV and some box office to turn out a profit. So it needs to please only a small set of hardcore nerds with more sophisticated tastes.

My top 50 favorite science fiction movies list:

1 - Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

Easily the best science fiction movie I ever watched and I have watched tons of science fiction movies, nothing compares to it, even 2nd place is far inferior in my opinion.

2 - Castle in the Sky

I considered putting this one in 5th or 6th place, but I though to myself: which of the following five movies I would like to watch right now the most and I Castle in the Sky was the one.

3 - Stalker

Best live action science fiction movie ever made. I think I am the only one who would say that here.

4 - 2001: A Space Odyssey

Best Hollywood science fiction movie ever made.

5 - Star Wars & The Empire Strikes Back

7 - Blade Runner

8 - The Terminator

9 - Aliens

10 - Solaris

11 - La Jetee

12 - Evangelion 2.0 (watched it a few weeks ago)

13 - Back to the Future

14 - Alien

15 - A Clockwork Orange

16 - The Matrix

17 - The Thing

18 - A.I. Artificial Intelligence

19 - Planet of the Apes

20 - The Road Warrior

21 - Gattaca

22 - The Fly

23 - Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

24 - Paprika

25 - The Truman Show

26 - District 9

27 - 5 Centimeters per Second

28 - Children of Men

29 - Terminator 2

Continued, due to restriction on the number of images that can be posted in each post:

30 - Robocop

31 - E.T. The Extra Terrestrial

32 - Akira

Not the best animated science fiction movie ever made but still a dam good one.

33 - Twelve Monkeys

34 - Wall-E

The pinnacle of American animation and one of the best science fiction movies of the decade.

35 - Close Encounters of the Third Kind

36 - Ghost in the Shell

37 - Evangelion 1.0

38 - Moon

39 - Contact

40 - Sunshine

41 - Dark City

42 - The Place Promised in Our Early Days

43 - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

44 - Starship Troopers

My guilty pleasure of science fiction movies. Childhood favorite as well.

45 - Re-Animator

46 - Wings of Honneamise

47 - Inception

48 - The Girl Who Leap Through Time

49 - The Man From Earth

50 - Forbidden Planet

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
AI is criminally underrated. Not that sappy, optimistic picture some moronically claim.

I think Aliens is far better than Alien but Alien is a little more Sci-Fi since there's not guys with machine guns every scene blowing holes in creatures. Aliens is more action than Sci-Fi so it's not your typical Sci-Fi flick.

I am the Watcher in the Night
Ok, you guys got me in the mood for making my own list, as I'm a massive sci-fi fan, I'm going to have to make a top 20 (could easily stretch to 50 but I don't want to put you guys through that lol).

So here goes:

1. Terminator 2: Easily the best combination of sci-fi, action and story ever put into a major blockbuster. Everything about this movie screams of "yes, I want more". I'm constantly blown away with the execution and scale of this summer blockbuster which is more than just that, it's a great science fiction story and like the best in the genre, it never fails to miss the mark.

2. Star Wars Ep V: The Empire Strikes Back: The pinnacle of Lucas' saga is darker and grittier than the original and a better movie overall. From all the great one liners to the great action set pieces and the terrific story arcs of it's characters, this delivers in almost every department.

3. The Matrix: It didn't quite become our generations Star Wars as some expected but the original is easily one of the most influential science fiction movies of the modern era. The techniques used in filming it went on to define almost every other action movie trying to strike it big for almost a decade. The story is typical sci-fi fare, of humanity getting to big for it's boots and paying the price but the execution is wholly unique. The dialogue is terrific, the philosophy sometimes pretentious but none the less interesting and the characters live with you forever.

4. 2001: A Space Odyssey: Al, the computer is often imitated, from the Simpsons to the recent Oblivion and you know what they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Some of tropes used in this movie have been copied by film makers in the decades that have followed and few films are as influential. It's also a poignant message of our own failing humanity, more relevant now than it ever has been in the past.

5. Inception: Some of Nolan's finest work and a true modern classic, these weaves all the complexity of previous 20th century sci-fi blockbusters such as The Matrix and the smart action of T2 and the Bond franchise. In doing so, it crafts something new and at times better. Nolan is the master of creating intelligent blockbusters and does it here with an ease and flair that I didn't think possible after The Dark Knight, his pièce de résistance.

6. Laputa: Castle in the Sky: Studio Ghibli doesn't get much better than this sci-fi epic for all the family. There are the typical themes of technology versus nature and the thrill of air travel but all of this is woven between a very beautiful relationship between the two main protagonists, a princess and a mine worker. The simplicity of it's characters love and care for each other elevates it above other, similar sci-fi adventures with the familiar cliched lost cities, pirates and evil government officials.

7. Aliens: Not exactly superior to the original but just something which I enjoyed watching more on repeat viewings. If I was given the choice of choosing one or the other to watch forever on a desert island, I'd pick the Cameron actioner everyday.

8. Children of Men: As sombre and sad as science fiction can be, this movie depicts a depressing world where mankind can not reproduce...except one last pregnant woman. A young girl in fact, the Mary of this movie, who must be protected by Clive Owen in his best performance to date. In fact, the whole cast provides us with some of the best on screen performances seen in a long time. A beautiful, sad and at times up lifting movie which typifies the genre at it's best.

9. Brazil: My introduction the the wild and wacky world of Terry Gilliam took me totally by surprise. This is an absurd movie set in an absurd world with absurd characters and yet it somehow works and works very well. Gilliam is a terrific worked of illusions, creating a dreamy, dystopian future of bureaucracy, formal suits and flying men. A must watch.

10. Alien: A great sci-fi/horror combination which gave us the Xenomorphs and they have never been as deadly and as terrifying as they were in the original. This was science fiction which seemed to be a complete opposite of the likes of Flash Gordon and Star Wars. There were no great empires and no great heroes, just a terrified crew of miners on an intergalactic mining ship and a cat.

11. Blade Runner: A cult hit which flopped on original release, this movie has gained in stature of the years. There are a lot of versions but no matter which one you watch, they all give you something to really sink your teeth into. This is a thinking man's sci-fi.

12. The Terminator: Wasn't sure where I was going to place this, it could easily have been a top 10 but I think Alien and Blade Runner bring a bit more to the table. It is however, one of the best suspense thrillers ever made and the sci-fi seems like a backdrop to the horror that this young woman must face, as she tries and escape the unstoppable killer.

13. Jurassic Park: Wasn't sure if I should rank this as sci-fi but then I thought, making dinosaurs on a planet as part of a theme park attraction, that's about as sci-fi as things get. From the moment the dinosaurs are revealed to the famed car and T-Rex scene, this movie had me gripped. Steven Spielberg created a sci-fi masterpiece

14. Independence Day: This gets way too much abuse. ID4 is easily the best straight up alien invasion movie ever made...by a country mile.

15. E.T.: Didn't quite like it when I first saw it, maybe it's because I had my older brother constantly nattering away but on watching it again for the second time, I was probably 12 or 13 at the time, I fell in love. The characters, the story, the struggle...I almost welled up when the bikes started flying. This is how children's sci-fi should be done.

16. District 9: The Office meets ID4...I kid, this is far more than that. Not just a simple science fiction action movie, this is a study of human nature, our acceptance/hatred towards those who are different. Not exactly original themes but execution was unique, as was the setting and the truly heart breaking story which encompassed it all. Add to that some very cool weapons!

17. A Clockwork Orange: not an ordinary sci-fi and definitely not an ordinary movie. It's difficult for me to tell you how this made me feel, after the first viewing I wasn't even sure if I liked it. Could I root for the characters? Was it right for me to do so? Then again, aren't the best movies the ones that make you feel, whether it be tension or apprehension or repulsion.

18. Minority Report: It's that darn Spielberg again, in possibly his most adult and unforgiving science fiction adventure yet. can humanity predict the future and if it could...how accurate could it be? That's a question that is never fully answered in this movie but it doesn't have to be. This is more about the journey than the destination.

19. Starship Troopers: Big, loud, funny and at times thoughtful, this deserved a full blown, big budget sequel. This is typical Paul Verhoeven and I love it.

20. Wall-E: Beautiful, tender and a stark warning to us all, this is a family film with a deeper message. And even when the beauty of the robotic characters is interrupted by the some what annoying humans, I just can't help but smile at the most unlikely of romances...oh and did I mention it has space travel, robots, a destroyed earth and a futuristic space colony of humans? It is sci-fi after all.

A system of cells interlinked
AI is criminally underrated. Not that sappy, optimistic picture some moronically claim.
An odd duck, AI. The issue is the final scene that cranks the (poor) sentimentality up to 11. You know what makes this film 100 times better? Turn it off before the final scene. Pretend that sentimental misstep never occurred, and it's a pretty compelling science fiction film. That final scene is a cheap shot, period.

Also, just quickly. The Matrix, which is an amalgam of better science fiction released before it was made, doesn't belong on any top list of anything. I mean, come on...placing The Matrix before Blade Runner? Ridiculous.

The Matrix is a rip off, period. Not a cool, hey look what we did with previous conventions rip-off. I mean a blatant and obvious rip-off.

Say, that guy from Grant Morrison's comic series The Invisibles (circa 1994) sure looks a whole lot like Morpheus. He wears round glasses, knows Kung Fu, and helps the new messiah character train by having him jump off a tall building. Once trained, the messiah figures out that all reality is an illusion and that he has the ability to "warp" in and out of the real world, while using his special messiah powers to battle the killer robots that look like insects. How about the agents? Same EXACT concept in The Invisibles, down to the suit and ties...

Nah, that's not like the Matrix at all.

The look of the Matrix? a complete aping of Blade Runner, and all the other dark sci-fi that already lifted their look from Blade Runner (Dark City, Akira et al). I guess if you add a silly bald kid prattling on about nonsensical, sophomoric, half-baked philosophy, it's deep. So is Michael Moore's butt crack. Pop in the sequels for some real torture. Completely unwatchable. The acting is completely atrocious in these films, as well.

Planet of the Apes and its recent prequel.
Some runner-ups for me would be Predator, The Avengers, and both versions of The Fly.

I like Forbidden Planet.

Although I rate Alien higher I appreciate the old school science fiction of Forbidden Planet. There's actually a horror component in both films but I think in Alien it's a much more important feature and makes it at least 50% a horror film, so I struggle to see it as existing fully in one genre.

Here are my best sci-fi films (in no real order)

Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
The Matrix
Blade Runner
Minority Report
A Clockwork Orange
Alien
Aliens
Wall-E
Total Recall
Serenity
The Fifth Element
it s really odd that you haven 't mentioned interstellar and sunshine, gravity is a great film aswell

My Top 100

100. Never Let Me Go (2010)

99. Alphaville (1965)

98. Body Snatchers (1993)

97. Event Horizon(1997)

96. Invaders from Mars (1953)

95.Space Cop (2017)

94.Total Recall (1990)

93.The Stand (1974)

92.The Quiet Earth (1985)

91. Outland (1981)

I like Forbidden Planet...I appreciate the old school science fiction of Forbidden Planet...
Love that film! It was a Movie of the Month here at MoFo some time ago.

I like a lot of your choices, we should do a sci fi Hof some time?

100. Never Let Me Go (2010) I love this one and it was my nomination in the 12th Hof. It came in 5th.

98. Body Snatchers (1993) Wasn't this also remade with Nicole Kidman? I like the 50s and the 70s version much better. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1973) was one of the noms in the SciFi/Horror Hof and so was Event Horizon(1997)

96. Invaders from Mars (1953) Love that film. I really like the Tim Burton remake too.

94.Total Recall (1990) High energy, great flick. Not seen the reboot, and not real interested in it, but the original!

92.The Quiet Earth (1985) It didn't go over very well as a nom in the 13th Hof

91. Outland (1981) Very cool and little known sci fi, I seen it recently and it holds up well.

You have good taste in sci fi!