Which movies do you think excelled in all areas?

Tools    

I'd suggest American Beauty

Another Year

The more I watch Mike Leigh's films, the more I love his work. He is an absolute genius behind the camera. The first film I saw of his was Happy-Go-Lucky, another comedy, which I thought was brilliant. This film is a little more subtle in its brand of humor, but I thought that's what made it so great. Leigh has a way of making an otherwise mundane situation seem very interesting (if that makes sense). The character interaction is so interesting to watch. And further, each character has great depth. The viewer is able to infer a great deal about each character without explicitly being told his or her history. It's no wonder Leigh's script got an oscar nod (nomination).

Awesome film! I highly recommend.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Toy Story, The Dark Knight, Cape Fear, Zodiac, Boogie Nights.

Godfather 1 & 2
Memento
Inception
Let The Right One In

there's a lot actually

This question begins and ends with...

Oscar-nominated for:

Picture
Actor
Adapted Screenplay
Editing
Cinematography
Original Score
Sound

Kudos also needs to be given to:

Oscar-nominated for:

Picture
Actress
Supporting Actress x2
Adapted Screenplay
Cinematography
Art/Set Direction
Original Score
Original Song
Costume
Make Up

I'm going to be the brave one here and mention films since 2000 that do all of that:

1. W.
2. The Machinist
3. Wall-E
4. American Psycho
5. Hero
6. Memento
7. The Piano Teacher
8. Y Tu Mama Tambien
9. Cache
10. Dogville

There are more but I'll start y'all off with these

I can't belive this is a thread ... and I'm posting in it.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Saving Private Ryan

I am the biggest fan of Saving Private Ryan, but there's one thing that always bothers me about the film, it's minor, but it's still there.

So the film is set up as a flashback, the old man visits the cemetery and thinks back to his unit storming the beach at Normandy...

There is one HUGE problem with this set up...and lets go to the spoiler tag...

WARNING: "Spoilers for the end of Saving Private Ryan" spoilers below
...It's revealed at the end that the old man was Ryan, and he's visiting the grave of Tom Hanks. He CAN'T have this flashback, because Ryan was not there for 90% of the story. He didn't storm the beach, he wouldn't have met any of the guys who died, nor would he have been privy to ANY of their exploits until he's introduced. The old man, it seems, should have been Edward Burns' character, who is the lone survivor of Tom Hanks' unit. Even if her were told the story later, presumably BY Edward Burns, he wouldn't remember it with such clarity, including scenes that NONE of the characters were there for, like the people typing up the death letters...

This is my one problem with the film. It's still one of my favorite movies, but the basic set up as it being a flashback seems like a last minute addition, and a premise that the film constantly violates.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
That's true, but I think the film is trying to mislead you about who the old man's character really is at the beginning. It may violate logic if you believe he is the one "remembering" but he's basically being used as an inspiration for the tale to be told in the first place. I like the bookends the least of any part of the flick but other films have used similar storytelling "gimmicks".

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
I watched this movie in the theater and hated it, I was much younger then and was expecting some kind of non stop violence through the movie which isn't the case. I just watched the movie after all these years and I loved it and I think it excels in everything, I can't believe I hated the movie the first time I saw it.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
I just finished the Red Riding Trilogy, and I have to say that it excels at almost everything, enough to fit into this category.

You get a new respect for Mark Addy and Sean Bean is always great.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring excels in every area. Performances, writing, direction, visuals, music, emotion, mood, atmosphere; Peter Jackson really got everything right.