The Karate Kid

Tools    

Supposedly, a Karate Kid remake is in the works, and Jaden Smith is rumored to be cast Danielsan. The movie is said to hit theaters 2009, but no release date has been announced. What are your thoughts on this?

Plus, over it all - The Karate Kid was a great movie, all of them but the last one. And I absolutely loved 3 Ninjas, and Surf Ninjas. So I really don't know what to think of a REMAKE to the film. Kind of makes me wonder whether it will be good or not. It's a possibility.

-_-

Thats all I can say bout that!!

My opinion: LEAVE THE CLASSICS ALONE!!!, even if the original wasn't that great.

LOL, next thing hollywood will want to remake 90's film "3 Ninjas" or "Surf Ninjas"

I find it sad when writers cannot come up with an original idea, especially with all who migrate to Hollywood to make a name for themselves.

-_-

Thats all I can say bout that!!

My opinion: LEAVE THE CLASSICS ALONE!!!, even if the original wasn't that great.

LOL, next thing hollywood will want to remake 90's film "3 Ninjas" or "Surf Ninjas"

I find it sad when writers cannot come up with an original idea, especially with all who migrate to Hollywood to make a name for themselves.
That film is not even that old. Why remake it? I can see why it would be alluring, but how can a modern version improve upon the original?

A system of cells interlinked
Terrible idea. I shall never see it if it gets remade...

mr. miagi turns out to be from another planet?
Why the hell not...if Daniel-San is now magically black...why can't Miagi magically turn green!?!

This is a terrible idea...smith should do the right thing and not force his spawn on us...nepatism is ugly...

Just to throw this out here, but there hasn't been a martial arts movie where the lead role is done by an African American since Berry Gordy's 1985 film "The Last Dragon"

Other than that, another Karate Kid movie makes as much sense as Chewbacca (an 8ft hairy beast) living on the planet Endor with Ewoks (3ft teddy bears). In other words, not much sense at all.

Originally Posted by Jrs' Sequel Buzz Thread

Jackie Chan's Karate Kid Remake to be Called Kung Fu Kid

Last year it was announced that Columbia Pictures was remaking the 1984 classic Karate Kid with Jaden Smith set to star. Then in January, FirstShowing announced that Jackie Chan had been cast as the lovable Mr. Miyagi, stepping in for Pat Morita. Not a single person was excited by any of this news, but of course Sony is pushing forward with the production in hopes of convincing audiences later with marketing. In a recent interview with Jackie Chan, he let slip that this remake is actually going to be called Kung Fu Kid, not Karate Kid.

"They don't want to call it Karate Kid any more," Chan said. "They want to call it The Kung Fu Kid." He quickly changed topics and unfortunately didn't add any more about as to why this change was being made. Our guess is that since this remake is a Chinese co-production and being shot in Beijing, it's much more relevant today to use kung fu as opposed to karate (which isn't as popular as it was back in the 80's) and also more appropriate considering karate actually has its historical roots in kung fu. As in, story updates and Chinese influence caused them to change the title to be more culturally relevant and accurate.

If you're actually big Jackie Chan fan, a great interview can be seen over on 3news.co.nz. He talks about how he's trying to change his image and become more of an "actor who can fight" not a "fighter who can act." It's actually a really heartfelt interview and it reminds me why I love him so much. Hopefully this news about the title actually sheds some positive light on the production, although I doubt it will.

Source: FirstShowing.net

Originally Posted by Jrs' Sequel Buzz Thread

The Karate Kid Remake Art and Title

From Sony’s website, here is official art from the Will Smith-produced remake/re-imagining of The Karate Kid, officially retitled The Kung-Fu Kid which still features the old title.

Here's the synopsis:

Directed by Harald Zwart (The Pink Panther 2) and written by Chris Murphy and Steven Conrad (The Pursuit of Happyness). Filming on the remake has begun in Beijing, and is expected to last until mid-October.

Source: /Film

I actually saw a trailer for it recently. and i absolutely hate it. I really gave the movie a chance from the day it was first announced they were remaking it-and my biggest fears of the remake came true! its scary.
i knew it would be splattered with "black" pop culture(the shady hip hop music), the way Will Smith's son wears his hear- the way will smith's son moves his hands all ghetto when he talks.
and I had faith in Jackie Chan. but nothing about what i saw in the trailer of him looked even DECENT. he didnt emote Miyagi at all. i knew surpassing Pat Morita was never gonna happen, but at last come close- jackie doesn't even pass the best morita imitators. Yikes. and for the longest time they said they were changing the title to "Kung Fu Kid" from "Karate" but now it looks like they're sticking with karate kid. you woulda thought the filmmakers could've at least came up with an original name, change the original characters' names, just so the story could be not from the karate kid universe. but no. they did exactly what we all feared. sh*t.

Well...at least Steve Alten isn't writing the script.

Ah, ha, ha! O.K. Well, if it sucks, it sucks. Outside of period films, seeing Chan play a serious role can be seriously difficult to accept. The Myth was a good film, but it relied on period story elements to create the drama needed to make Chan's character work. Seeing him in a modern story as a serious character--not one that is comic relief--is tough to do. Even in the so-called Super Cop 4, his character is not as believable in terms of "feeling" for him. There is no way to surpass Morita's Miyagi, and Chan can only be himself.

I want to see this. When I first saw Karate Kid I wanted to be a competition fighter! The Original "keehaps" by Daniel Sun were just incredible... So much passion. Its a pity they got Will Smiths son to play the lead role because a white guy in America learning Karate at that time was a killer cultural recipe... Black guy in China... I don't know...

I saw the trailer and i really dont like it,
i think it will be entertaining, but it is more
like a joke remake of the original karate kid.

Ray

After seeing the trailer it isn't as bad as i taught, i still think they should have called it "Kung Fu Kid" but ill watch it (rent it) but maybe its because i have never been a huge fan of the original.

ahh, I think he's cute...and to the other poster who said he was 'ghetto'...your out of your mind...there's nothing 'ghetto' about how the kid is acting...nothing at all...there are 'white' kids that act more 'ghetto' than that today...

I read the reviews of others, than saw this trailer...and after watching this trailer...I think the movie will work...for the younger generation anyways...and again...I think the kid is cute...and will do just fine...

A system of cells interlinked
@Starlite - Why the negative rep? Just because I said this is a bad idea?

Here's some advice - How about you actually learn how the site and rep work before randomly handing out negative rep to people just because they don't like a film.

I see you neg rapped a few users simply for posting that this remake is a bad idea. Neg repping people for simple disagreement is a fast path to the bad side of the tracks on the site.

@Starlite - Why the negative rep? Just because I said this is a bad idea?

Here's some advice - How about you actually learn how the site and rep work before randomly handing out negative rep to people just because they don't like a film.

I see you neg rapped a few users simply for posting that this remake is a bad idea. Neg repping people for simple disagreement is a fast path to the bad side of the tracks on the site.
All I can do is apologize....

It's just I guess I felt everyone was ganging up on the kid without giving him a chance...one guy said he was 'ghetto'...The kid was raised as a millionare far from the ghetto....which told me he was being judged solely on his looks...(personally I think he's a cute darling) but that aside...

I guess I just felt bad for the guy or kid...and reminded me of real life...in how we sometimes shut people down or off without ever giving them a chance...

So I reacted...I personalized it, as if I was protecting a young innocent kid from the harsh realities of life....

I do apologize to you...I just got caught up in the moment...
(I just went back and read your post, and saw where you refered to his kid as a (spawn)....
I don't find that objective crotiquing at all...) So maybe my intial reaction was correct...I don't know...