→ in
Tools    

I must admit after seeing how fantasy, effects, and history could be blended into a rich experience in Pan's Labyrinth, I had high hopes for 300 going into it.

On the positive side, like many others, I thought the Maxfield-Parrish-like cinematography throughout the film was intriguing. That being said, the haunting potential of the effect was unfortunately tortured by an inept dialogue and historical gloss which one might expect a video game geek to ejaculate, and splashed on the screen with all the inspiration and nuance of a hack comic book. The battlefield cliches spouted as gratuitously as the blood, and after the first 5 minutes of battle, with equal lack of meaning. This film seeks to emmulate the look and sound of a video game, and as a result, any potential for depth or intelligence is buried under a compulsive, repetitive drone of the obvious and an unbearable simple-minded parade of the cliched symbols of good vs. evil.

I seem to recall even the cinematographic effect was employed more effectively, although more briefly, in the near-death scenes in Gladiator. And I thought Gladiator was a bit over-the-top with the obvious melodrama. But then came Alexander and I relized how much further low could go. I stand corrected. 300 clearly now has overtaken its predecessors for self-evident and unnecessary narration heaped over an already over-simplified historical cartoon. It seems as time and visual grace progress, sword and sandal flicks regress with a narrative and conceptual ineptness that makes, by comparison, even TV series like Rome seem like Masterpiece Theater.

What I don't understand is, if you make a film look and sound like a video game, then by definition it is going to be worse than a video game since there is no interactive gameplay, unless you consider getting up to get popcorn gameplay. Of course, *smacks head*, this film is undoubtedly just an advertisement for a video game, a commercial for which the film-makers just got you to pay $8.
Now that is brilliant.

Of course, *smacks head*, this film is undoubtedly just an advertisement for a video game, a commercial for which the film-makers just got you to pay $8. Now that is brilliant.
That or based on a Graphic Novel

Oh yeah, and the deeply voice-altered-effeminate-oversized-godego Xerxes had me groaning with its obvious Stargate-Goa'uld allusion. Why did they do it? Because it is a popular show with the same teen scifi-fantasy demographic, I suppose. And why wouldn't they? A small band of intreped warriors who single-handedly bitch-slap a self-proclaimed god and his immortals, maybe even saving the world. After Xerxes, I kept expecting other Stargate motifs to start appearing, maybe even hoping, so that that the movie's steep descent to hell could be simply excused as a misguided homage to the recently departed TV series.

fbi
i did enjoy the movie but also had the benefit of the history behind it, history is interesting. But 300 is misleading as there were actually around 7000, just they all weren't spartans, the life of a spartan was very tough to say the least, has anyone else seen the documentary on it. Worth a look, over all its not worth what the box office scores are recording. But to be a spartan... heck yea

are u talking about the documentary with that lady (i forgot her name) as host?
I got it on dvd and it is great.

i thoguht 300 was brilliant. One of the best films i seen this year.
saw it on pirate dvd a million times. Ok there was hardly any script but with these battle scenes and such energy, who cares?

whats ur fav movie this year? haaawoohhh haaawoooohhh!

yeah, in real history the spartans were actually backed up with several thousand greek allies. The spartans just done most of the fighting and stayed behind till the last man whilst the others left when they were outflanked.

I read Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield after watching 300 the first time and that made a lot of the of the things in the movie make sense when I went back to see it a second time.

I think most will agree that the movie 300 is a spectacular aggrandizement of archetypal Masculine Beauty. The cinematography is seductively beautiful and uses sweeping landscape vistas to offset a heroic story. They also used a neat trick with the chromatics, which seem to have a strong sepia undertone with rich jewel-like colors superimposed that does wonderful things for glowing bronzed warrior-skin, and gives this movie its surreal look.
A mythological tale all dressed up and ready for GQ magazine…
But this movie is targeted at young men, and will probably serve as inspiration when next working out at the gym. But I find it somewhat curious that Hollywood chooses this particular story for glamorization in this particular way, at this particular time, because the underlying politics are rather dodgey.
Aside from its dazzling packaging, the movie is essentially a portrayal of the noble warrior and his willingness to sacrifice everything for a worthy cause (War). It very seductively asks the viewer to reconsider this idea, and we observe those who once made this choice as men positively BRRRRRistling with testosterone, rippling with six-packs, their bodies having turned into living sculpture. It is good to go to war, no?
We also view the naked king Leonidas (an awesome sight), whose virility is temporarily thwarted until he finally makes that decision: to go to war…
Then having got that out the way, he can once again enjoy ecstatic sex before going off to make war with the Persians. His beautiful Queen provides some validation by recognizing that she breeds sons for that very reason: that they should also one day find honor in going to war (just a small romantic accessory, but its there).
And in order to go to war, Leonidas must dissimulate and ‘break the law’. But that’s OK because we know he was on a mission to defeat a great big weapon of mass destruction: The turban-wearing Persian Army (who we know are all bad by virtue of their inferior physiognomy, bad skin and teeth). Just a fairy-tale, but its there.
And it’s not often we see carnage performed with such choreographic style and beauty. Rudolf Nureyrev would have been impressed! I thought the costumes in Troy did a lot to enhance the male physique, but these costumes are fabulous!
A neat trick (borrowed from classical marble sculpture) was to use those leather straps (attaching the crimson capes) across the chests of the warriors which dig into their muscular shapes and make them look like Gods emerging from their very clothes! Check out some classical sculpture and you’ll see the same thing. It makes the body look heroic.
Also fabulous to behold was the Persian God-King Xerxes, who sports the same awesome body that signifies his superiority over mere mortals, but unlike his macho Spartan rivals, he gets to wear gold eye shadow with painted eyebrows that would rival Marlena Dietrich. His wonderful (camp) performance got a whoop of laughter out of me when Leonidas refuses to bow to him. This pisses him off to such an extent, and the camera pulls in to show us, that all his nose and cheek rings with little adjoining bracelets, are set aquiver with nostrils flaring, lips pouting, and behaving not entirely unlike a magnificent drag-queen having a temper tantrum.
This rather camp portrayal of Xerxes is reinforced when Leonidas’s spear glances his cheek of at the end of the movie. And as he reconsiders his mortality the camera once again pulls in so that we witness Xerxes (lips and facial jewelry aquiver) looking like he is about ready to blub! (Which got another whoop of laughter out of me).
But joking aside, one needs to remember that the Persian leader is portrayed as little more than a decadent poser (with homosexuality implied), and is unfavorably contrasted with our hero whose law-breaking-war is therefore completely justified. Just a pretty fairy-tale, but with some interesting parallels don’t you think?

I like the graphic novels but the movie left the ending open

I like the way the movie was made. The sound is pretty cool. Also cinematography is great. What I did not like is the storyline.

I give this movie a rating of Negative A!

Lost in never never land
This is a movie that I only found average. I give it a 10/10 visually, but everything else was cliche and obvious. This movie was worth seeing once for the visuals, but I don't know if it is a film that I will ever watch again because there wasn't much special besides the visuals.
I wish, I wish he'd go away."
-From Identity

I think the cinematography was really great. Listening to the soundtrack, I knew the movie would be real great.. Even not watching it before!

Just a girl who loves movies
The movie was OK for me. Not great, not something I'd rewatch ...

What I liked? The almost naked men (well, I am a woman, love some good abs), overall it was pleasant and interesting.

What I found to be out of place?

1. the "fake" mountains and the scenery in itself. I thought they made the boulders on the seashore screen from cardboard or something. God the looked fake.

2. the too light/contrasting images .. in photoshop I use this thing called levels. Now this movie was using TOO much of this "trick". it had too many "glossy" things, not at all natural. I know it's an epic movie, but it was too much for my old eyes.

3. ROCK MUSIC on an ancient "history" movie? Come on. Why didn't they use something like in Gladiator (Lisa Gerard from Dead Can Dance and Hans Zimmer did an aweosome job. Don't know about her, but the guy is quite "strong" in the area. Something like that should have been made)

4. Matrix like fighting. First of all I despised Matrix for those slow motion, 360 degrees camera, over artifficiallised movements. I practice MA so I just get headaches when seeing too much "fakes". And the entire movie was in "slow motion now normal, now back to slow". It was cool for 3 minutes, after 10 I felt like killing someone.

Maybe I am not the desired demographics .. who knows. I am a woman, 28 .. I don't like action movies and it didn't "speak" too me.

I watched it. Not the worst, but I wouldn't waste my time on it again..

Now please feel free to shoot me

Great Fight Scenes just great..I loved it!!...

Do you wanna party? Its party time!
To me, this film was beefcake on an insane scale, fullfilling its violent, gory, action packed extreme comic book vision. Its gloriously hardcore R rated swords and sandels epic style film making, glorious and over the top to the point where it straddles the fine line between silly and emotionally meaningful. I count this as one of my favorites of the year, if only because it is quite possibly one of the few most successful conservative, pro-war films made in years. That and I'm a sucker for action flicks.

Latest Movie Viewing: Wings (1927)
Latest Album Listened To: Honky Château, Elton John (1972)
Latest TV Show Viewed: Doctor Who

great film 9\10

I watched the movie, and will say that it was ok.
It didn't grip me like other movies have.
As far as sexual undertones are concerned, Spartacus put that stuff in my mind more than this film.
The movie was too dark, and I never forgot it was a movie.