Criterion Bootlegs...let's amass our knowledge...

Tools    

After finally signing up to ebay, and quickly typing a few titles from my "most wanted" dvd's in the search field (yes, I do have a Most Wanted excel spreadsheet ), I noticed something exciting yet peculiar, ALL the OOP (out of print) Criterion titles from my list were unbelievably available, and in large quantities, for great prices! It didn't take me more than 5 mins to find the long OOP Criterion Collection issue of Dead Ringers, "brand new, authentic, sticker sealed" for about $20 CDN! Pay pal here I come! Well, I should say, there I went!

I have bought CC titles before, from legitimate retailers, for the expensive retail price, but this deal was too good to give up (or was it?). It didn't take me long to become "a great ebayer A+++", and to become a little more knowledgeable. The seller I bought from had the SAME auction product, week after week...how could he/she have so many OOP CC dvds?I realized I MUST have been duped (ironically along with my OOP CC dvd).

I took my copy off of the shelf and examined it thoroughly..."looks pretty legit", I thought. I then began searching frantically on the net to find out how to authenticate these OOP CC dvds. With little luck. Criterion Collection forum http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/index.php was no help. The best I could find was from www.rareoopdvds.com but even this website was little to no help, except for their in depth review on Salo...

So with no luck, I come to you, the forum I've come to love, for help. Yes, obvious sound advice for avoiding this problem would be to only buy from legit retailers, but that would only apply if they have what you are looking for.

I am asking that we amass our knowledge on this topic to help authenticate Criterion Collection dvds (also Disney dvds, they are as big as CC fakes on ebay), and to help others avoid this unfortunate scheme.

Horrorphiliac

Well at one time I was in the same place at you but later on I just decided not buy the movie at all,because I though couldnt handle all the **** in it.

Anyway from what I read criterion has a ****ty release of Salo.The picture is off and its even missing a scene(which is only a few seconds)get more info here http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare/salo.htm

I hoped this helped, if not Im sorry for wasting your time.

When I worked at the video store we had numerous dealings with shady bootleggers. The owner was great at taking advice about potential purchases from knowledgeable employees and through the staff had amassed an almost complete CC catalog. We acquired Salo, for example, from Kino video a good and reputable DVD retailer and wholesaler. As he was ordering it, it went out of print.

That single copy is the prised possession of the store. We were one of the few brave enough to carry it and actually rent it.

Basically if you are looking for certain CC OOP DVD releases (geez thats a lot of acronyms) you will be paying through the nose for them, if they are cheap then caveat emptor, they are definitely boots. Especially Salo, I have seen copies go for just under a grand and they were through legit sellers.

Last I checked Silence Of the Lambs was about the cheapest OOP CC edition to be sold regularly, Robocop was a close second. I actually own both and save a major financial disaster, will hold on to them.

As to the quality of Salo, I can say this. The print they used was the best possible one available. I don't remember if there was damage to the original negs or if there was some intentional damage done to them, either could be possible. But the print itself is not up to the standards of CC but it is one of the best and possibly ONLY ones available.
"You have to believe in God before you can say there are things that man was not meant to know. I don't think there's anything man wasn't meant to know. There are just some stupid things that people shouldn't do." -David Cronenberg

thanks guys for contributing to the thread...but my question still stands...how can we authenticate them???

(I only mentioned Salo because it the only OOP CC DVD that I could find a detailed description on how to authenticate an original one)

Maybe the spine number? I dont really know.

Look for evidence of high quality photocopying, paper weight and such. I know this is impossible when making ebay purchases, but it really is one of the only ways to do it. Until they start placing Microsoft style reflective stickers on them. There is really no way to tell unless you can actually hold it, touch it and see it.

Not having Criterion over here i know them only by name really but i did get Seven Samurai on Criterion and was quite suprised at how shoddy the DVD package seemed. I think that a way to check any DVD for authentication is the centre ring of the disc (as in just outside the hole, should be see through). Something about that i think anyway.

JBriscoe...please tell me you didnt buy Salo on ebay cause I just read that it will be released by Criterion in 2007 and it will be in HD.

Originally Posted by floyd2006
JBriscoe...please tell me you didnt buy Salo on ebay cause I just read that it will be released by Criterion in 2007 and it will be in HD.
nope, never bought it...I argued over whether or not I should buy a bootleg copy...but never was close to actually doing it...

...and yep, youre right...I read on Criterion's website that they recently re-acquired their rights to distribute Salo (and also that it will be an HD version)

...I can only imagine how much HD Criterion's will cost $$$$$$$$$$...I have a feeling they will eventually re-vamp and re-issue their reg. DVD version, so I will probably hold out until then

Im wondering what kind of cover it will be?