Time-sensitive: recommend me some comics/graphic novels!

Tools    

John Lewis' March.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	lewis.jpg
Views:	2011
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	26809  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

savita bhabhi---adventures of horny indian married woman with men other than her husband

https://www.kirtu.com/tag/free-savita-bhabhi/

This thread reminds me I need to seek out more graphic novels/manga. My friend lent me Ghost in the Shell, which I need to start.

Have you read Black Hole by Charles Burns? That's a good one if you like weird horror type stuff. My favorite of all-time though is Junji Ito's Uzumaki, a three-part weird horror manga series about spirals! Anyway, sounds like you got some stuff and not sure if you'd like those, but Uzumaki is always what I recommend to people in these cases because I had a lot of fun reading it. And, other than that, I haven't read a whole lot.

Look forward to reading what you thought of the ones you end up reading. If you like them, maybe I will give 'em a shot.

On my mission to read more graphic novels I went ahead and bought Swallow Me Whole by Nate Powell. I wanted something about real stuff, something I could relate to, and also I'm curious to see how the graphic novel medium tackles mental illness because it seems like a good way to capture how it feels. This seems to be a pretty well-acclaimed story about schizophrenia. I hope it's good.

I have this, Ghost in the Shell, and Preacher vol. 1 to read. So a good variety of stuff!

It doesn't appear to be on comiXology, but Seconds by Bryan Lee O'Malley is a quick, easy read. Maybe you can find it somewhere else?

It's about a chef in the process of opening her own restaurant who realizes that she has the opportunity to fix her past mistakes by taking advantage of these magic mushrooms growing under the restaurant she currently works at/rents a room over.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I'm not a comic expert, but I read Nimona by Noelle Stevenson earlier this year and it was a whole lot of fun. Standalone and you could easily read the whole thing in a flight.

Some of my recs. I'm not super familiar with comics so -

The Scrooge McDuck Comics of Carl Barks and Don Rosa (Reading these with my Grandma in elementary school, along with Paper Mario TTYD and Spongebob WERE my childhood. Oh and Rugrats.)
V for Vendetta (Since you read Watchmen)
The Hawkeye Comics of Matt Fraction (Slice of life Superhero)
The Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind Manga (Miyazaki only adapted the first two volumes for his film.)
If you are familiar with A:TLA, you can read the comics
Sonic Archie (I only read a little bit, but I am really interested in reading more. You can read them here. Sorry if its an illegal link.

I'm also reading the Akira Magna and an obscure one named Psyren currently. Both are cool so far.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
I don't know if I'd call it high-concept and it's probably to late anyways, but Mark Millar's 'Wanted'. The basic idea is simply this: What would the world look like if one day the superheroes of the world vanished and the supervillains ruled the world from behind the scene?

The Scrooge McDuck Comics of Carl Barks and Don Rosa
Still good as f***!

The Scrooge McDuck Comics of Carl Barks
I have a buddy that collected Golden Age comics, and specifically focused on Barks Donald Duck. It truly is beautiful stuff, I love Donald Duck

I have been rereading alot of those Duck Comics recent and I just couldn't believe how wonderful they are. My memories were true!
My brother and I are huge don rosa fans. Whenever a new rosa story would appear in the comics it would be a brawl for the right to read it first.

Now I'm in the middle of collecting all the barks/rosa comics in a hardback suite that Fantagraphic books are releasing as we speak.

Tales Designed to Thrizzle by Michael Kupperman - there are two collected volumes, but they're each self-contained (consisting of short humor pieces.) The first volume is the better of the two.

Battle Lines: A Graphic History of the Civil War by Ari Kelman and Jonathan Fetter-Vorm - Short stories about different aspects of the civil war, with chapters structured around different objects (a bullet, a mosquito, a pair of opera-glasses... there's a particularly great chapter about staging a post-battle photograph). The author is an academic historian but this clearly has a general audience in mind.

Uncle Scrooge: Only a Poor Old Man by Carl Barks

Really any volume of the Carl Barks (Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge) Library will do - they all have multiple self-contained stories - but this one is my favorite. Ducktales captures the boys-adventure feel of these but doesn't really do justice to the social/political commentary/satire (and I mean satire in "your" sense).

I Killed Adolph Hitler, by Jason. An original take on the time-travel genre with some surprisingly poignant twists and anthropomorphized animals. This fits your criteria of self-contained in one volume, high-concept cleverness, and relative lightness.

Uzumaki - Weird horror with an absurd sense of humor, good draughtsmanship, and there's a recent one-volume collection. Has some gore and might have some nudity.

Elektra: Assassin by Frank Miller and Bill Scienkiewicz - Not sure how widely available this is but it's my favorite Frank Miller comic. Definitely up there with Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns for 80s superhero stuff.

Nausicaa is great but I don't think there's a single volume edition and it's pretty long (I think around a thousand pages).

Great stuff, thanks guys.

Sadly some of the most intriguing ones don't seem to be on comiXology, and I don't have much more time to go looking around elsewhere, but I'll see if I can find a couple of them (I Shot Adolph Hitler looks like a good fit, in particular).