What was the last DVD you bought and why?

Tools    

Barton Fink
The Bicycle Thief (criterion)
The Conversation
Jean de Florette/Manon des Sources
McCabe & Mrs Miller
This is Spinal Tap
Umberto D (criterion)
Z

I got all of these for 60$

That's a downside of steelbooks unfortunately, the amount of times I've had to send back steelbooks because of scratches and worse dents!

As for putting it on the shelves and getting scratched, I put my steelbooks into plastic sleeves for that reason alone. I've got obsessive compulsive disorder and I have to put a film box/steelbook on and off the shelf a certain number of times, and with steelbooks that will be a problem for damage because of the sliding up against other steelbooks, so I put them into plastic sleeves so that will not happen...

Sorry to see your lovely Rambo steelbook got scratched!
I couldn't believe it. I thought steelbooks might not have such problems because my other two steelbooks never got scratched. BUT THIS ONE!

It's probably somewhat my own fault because I had the movies tightly squeezed in a row and First Blood shouldn't have fit in there. Now I've changed it around and made them lay in a looser row. The scratches are small and on the edges. I'm not planning on being a collector so I guess I'll just have to live with it.

Mary and Max

Watched it on Amazon streaming last night and absolutely adored it, so I figured I ought to make it part of my collection.

I've seen part of Mary and Max. It looked to be a fairly decent movie. I need to try watching it again without people in the background complaining that it's on.
"Fairly decent"?

I found it to be a wonderfully funny and very touching film. It touches on some very heavy and serious adult matters - depression, loneliness, suicide, Aspergers and alcoholism - with a great deal of humor and sensitivity. I was moved to tears by the ending.

But then again we've already established that what I find wonderful, you... might not.

I got these for 90$

Criterion: The Wages of Fear, Le Samurai, Ikiru and Le Trou (Le Trou is out of print)

Le Diner de Cons which is the funniest movie I've ever seen and 2 movies that interests me a lot. A Herzog documentary Grizzly Man and a Wilder classic Stalag 17

That's not a bad haul, PG. Nothing that I love, but Wages Of Fear and Grizzly Man are good, though I spent much of the time wanting to slap Timothy silly.

Last BluRay/DVD I bought was the Tarantino XX: 8 Movie Collection along with Django Unchained last spring.

Well worth the money!
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I was in town yesterday and came away with a massive haul. Picked up a few bargains in Fopp and a bundle from CEX. Will list them all at a later date in my own DVD collection. However I'll highlight this one as it was quite the bargain and I know a lot of people on here will approve

Werner Herzog/Klaus Kinski box set (Aguirre, The Wrath of God; Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht; Woyzeck; Fitzcarraldo; Cobra Verde: My Best Friend)

Picked this up for just £5! Cheapest online is about £17/18 so very pleased with that. Not actually seen any of those but have been interested for a long while.

Picked up The Libertine for $5 at Best Buy a couple of months ago. I rarely buy movies these days (I usually rent/stream them). But I couldn't pass this one up.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Picked this up for just £5! Cheapest online is about £17/18 so very pleased with that. Not actually seen any of those but have been interested for a long while.
I think that set was over £30 when I bought it and I thought it was decent value. Total steal at a fiver.

Me?

Because: Uptight Ewa Woowaa, nuddy Britt Ekland, Christopher Lee in a wig and plimsolls etc etc etc Greatest British horror film yadda yadda yadda.

It's The Wicker Man (in triplicate) on Blu Ray, basically.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Just a little heads-up for any UK posters who happen to have a Tesco Direct close to them might be worth a quick pop in. They're having a massive clearout sale with some amazing bargains. They're selling out quick though, at some stores it's apparently a mad frenzy. And it doesn't help there are people buying hundreds of items to then sell them to CEX for a profit. Greedy b*stards!!!

I managed to get a few DVDs very cheap - Boardwalk Empire season 1 (£1.75), 2 Broke Girls season 1 (£2), An Idiot Aborad series 3 (£1), The Master (£1.25), The Hunt (£1.50), How I Spent My Summer Vacation (£1)

Where I could really have cleaned up though was with blu rays if I collected them. Saw loads of amazing deals including Wreck-it-Ralph (£2.50), complete Lord of the Rings trilogy (£2.50), Die Hard quadrilogy (£2.50), Alien anthology (£2.50), Amazing Spider-Man 3D (£2.50), The Artist (£1), Point Break (£1.50), The Avengers (£2), Silver Lingins Playbook (£1.50) etc

Other people have managed to get Game of Thrones season 2 blu ray (£3.75), Frozen Planet blu ray (£1.75)

If you want to see what others got and perhaps learn whether it's worth taking a trip to your local store have a look here - Tesco Clearance Sale

Great though the reductions are, I fear it's because Tesco are thinning their general DVD/BD stock. My local's has dwindled a lot in the past 6 months, as has the local Asda's.

Great though the reductions are, I fear it's because Tesco are thinning their general DVD/BD stock. My local's has dwindled a lot in the past 6 months, as has the local Asda's.
Yes, I suspect this is the popularity of streaming starting to take effect.

The supermarkets' only real competition in that regard, HMV, is now gone so they don't have to compete for physical sales now either.

It's a shame. I liked browsing in a shop - Clicking through Amazon just isn't the same.

^ Has HMV gone in Ireland then because they are still around most places here in England, the one near me for example is huge, two floors worth.