Spirited Away

Tools    

Anyone seen this ?
Is it worth the watch
Has quite good reviews on imdb thinking of giving it a watch but would like your views.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Wait for Guaporense. He's the biggest Miyazaki fan (zealot?) in here. I might've become one of them, had I seen more Miyazaki films. Spirited Away I loved.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Been looking up some of Miyazakis filmography, amazing what you can come across if you look around, definitely gona give it a watch now.

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
It's been a while since I've seen it, but I recall it being a visually inventive, highly mystical, and very evocative experience, and a true teastment of Miyazaki's creative vision as a filmmaker.

Having seen every movie Studio Ghibli has done all the way to the soon to come to the states, "The Wind Rises" I can honestly say I think Spirited Away falls somewhere in the middle. It's a good watch and worth the time if you are a fan of animation and it's all the more interesting if you know the history of what makes the characters and spirits, but I don't think it's the best movie made by Ghibli or Miyazaki.

Finished here. It's been fun.
I really need to rewatch this movie. I remember viewing it when I was younger and falling in love with it, it really draws you in into this fantastical world. One of the most immersive movies ever. I couldn't really get into My Neighbor Totoro though sadly.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I really need to rewatch this movie. I remember viewing it when I was younger and falling in love with it, it really draws you in into this fantastical world. One of the most immersive movies ever. I couldn't really get into My Neighbor Totoro though sadly.
I don't know where I'd rank it as far as all of his work goes, I liked it more than Ponyo, The Secret Life of Arrietty, but I'm not sure if I liked it more than Howl's Moving Castle or Castle in the Sky. What did you think of those ones?

I need to watch Princess Mononoke and Kiki's Delivery Service. (Which I have on good authority uses the exact same story as Taxi Driver. )

I don't know where I'd rank it as far as all of his work goes, I liked it more than Ponyo, The Secret Life of Arrietty, but I'm not sure if I liked it more than Howl's Moving Castle or Castle in the Sky. What did you think of those ones?

I need to watch Princess Mononoke and Kiki's Delivery Service. (Which I have on good authority uses the exact same story as Taxi Driver. )
Arrietty has nothing to do with Miyazaki you know. It was made by Hiromasa Yonebayashi who is releasing another film for Ghibli this coming summer. Also, in my opinion, Princess Mononoke isn't that great. Kiki's Delivery Service is a good one though.

Personally, I actually find Princess Mononoke to be my favourite Miyazaki film. I believe it was the first one I ever saw, and the action in the movie always catches my interest.

Of course, I also love his other work as well.

Having seen every movie Studio Ghibli has done all the way to the soon to come to the states, "The Wind Rises" I can honestly say I think Spirited Away falls somewhere in the middle. It's a good watch and worth the time if you are a fan of animation and it's all the more interesting if you know the history of what makes the characters and spirits, but I don't think it's the best movie made by Ghibli or Miyazaki.
I have not seen every studio Ghibli film, but I have seen all of Miyazaki (except Porco Rosso) and I think it's one of his weakest, but it's still an easy

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Arrietty has nothing to do with Miyazaki you know. It was made by Hiromasa Yonebayashi who is releasing another film for Ghibli this coming summer. Also, in my opinion, Princess Mononoke isn't that great. Kiki's Delivery Service is a good one though.
The Secret World of Arrietty was scripted by Hayao Miyazaki.

One of my favorite animes ever. In fact, it's probably one the wife wouldn't mind watching with me. I'd say it's definitely worth the watch--it even gets a tad existential from what I remember (kinda delves into dream states).

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Miyazaki didn't script all of his films but no one says anything about the ones who did. It's basically the same thing.
But ... I did. Just because most people don't say anything about the ones who did, doesn't mean I was wrong to say that Miyazaki had something to do with it. You said Miyazaki had NOTHING to do with the movie, and I pointed out that he scripted the story. Tim Burton didn't direct A Nightmare Before Christmas, he scripted it, and we all know about his involvement.

A loving heart is the truest wisdom.
It's been a while since I've seen it but I never really cared for Spirited Away. The plot always seemed a bit lacking to me and IIRC little more than an excuse to show off the animation and crazy character designs. I like it better than Howl's Moving Castle but it's not even close to PM, Nausicaa, or Castle in the Sky for me. Still, maybe I'll warm up to it eventually. I didn't think much of Nausicaa the first time I saw it and now it's in my top ten list.

But ... I did. Just because most people don't say anything about the ones who did, doesn't mean I was wrong to say that Miyazaki had something to do with it. You said Miyazaki had NOTHING to do with the movie, and I pointed out that he scripted the story. Tim Burton didn't direct A Nightmare Before Christmas, he scripted it, and we all know about his involvement.
I just bring it up because people tend to credit him from things he didn't direct. I once saw a video saying that he Directed Whisper of the Heart, The Cat Returns and Grave of the Fireflies.

Anyone seen this ?
Is it worth the watch
Has quite good reviews on imdb thinking of giving it a watch but would like your views.
1 - Watch it with subtitles.
2 - It's one of the best movies ever made.

This is how I would rank Miyazaki's work as of now:

1 - Nausicaa (manga) (1,150 page manga, not a movie, Miyazaki's best work and one of the great works of literature of all time)
2 - My Neighbor Totoro (Miyazaki's best movie, minimalistic and elegant) - rate it as 100/100, my second favorite movie of all time
3 - Nausicaa (movie), Miyazaki's second best movie, best movie of it's genre (epic science fiction/fantasy) - 99/100
4 - Princess Mononoke - 98/100
5 - Spirited Away - 98/100
6 - Conan: Boy of the Future (TV series, one of the best TV series of all time)
7 - Porco Rosso - 97/100
8 - Castle in the Sky - 96/100
9 - Kiki's Delivery Service - 95/100
10 - Howl's Moving Castle - 91/100
11 - Ponyo - 89/100
12 - The Castle of Gagliostro - 87/100

However, I regard even The Castle of Gagliostro as a masterpiece and one of my top 200 favorite movies. It's genre doesn't fit my tastes very well though (it shows heavy Hitchcock influence, for instance, which is not my favorite style).

Haven't watched his latest movie (been searching for a cam with no results for months now), but I expect it to be better than anything he did since Spirited Away.

Miyazaki is widely regarded as the greatest animator of all time and the greatest living Japanese film director. So if you like cartoons or Japanese cinema watching all Miyazaki movies is a must. Always try to watch his movies with subtitles if you can (the dubbs for his movies are much weaker than the originals).

When released in 2001, Spirited Away became Japan's highest grossing film of all time and won many domestic and international awards, including movie of the year in most local film magazines and the golden bear in Berlin Film Festival (I believe, the only animation to win the major prize in any of the major film festivals). Though Miyazaki actually did not like Spirited Away's reception, since he regards his earlier films, which did not receive as many prizes, as superior.