Very Dark Comedies

Tools    

Can someone quickly recommend some really good dark comedies that lean more towards ‘dark’? I’m looking for something like I, Tonya, Three Billboards...; Heathers - not so much. Loved Waking Ned, but that was lighter than what I’m looking for now. Did research it, but don’t want to risk getting it wrong. The person I need a dark comedy for hated Seven Psychopaths and In Bruges with a passion, so I guess the non-Billboards Martin McDonagh isn’t an option.

Thanks in advance.

Sightseers?

EDIT: Looking at what I've watched I'd also recommend. Please note: these are movies that I've seen referred to as "dark comedy".

A Simple Favor
American Psycho
Horns
A Serious Man
50/50
Fight Club
The Neon Demon
Death Becomes Her
Hard Candy
Blow the Man Down
Force Majeur
Killer Joe
The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover
The Voices
Welcome to the Dollhouse
Freeway
Bernie

Sightseers?

EDIT: Looking at what I've watched I'd also recommend. Please note: these are movies that I've seen referred to as "dark comedy".

A Simple Favor
American Psycho
Horns
A Serious Man
50/50
Fight Club
The Neon Demon
Death Becomes Her
Hard Candy
Blow the Man Down
Force Majeur
Killer Joe
The Voices
Welcome to the Dollhouse
Freeway
Bernie
Oh wow! Thank you, you’re a star.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Can someone quickly recommend some really good dark comedies that lean more towards ‘dark’? I’m looking for something like I, Tonya, Three Billboards...; Heathers - not so much. Loved Waking Ned but that was lighter than what I’m looking for now. Did research it, but don’t want to risk getting it wrong. The person I need a dark comedy for hated Seven Psychopaths and In Bruges with a passion, so I guess the non-Billboards Martin McDonagh isn’t an option.

Thanks in advance.
Ya know, if the friend hated In Bruges, then I'm not sure there's any hope for 'em. I say just cut your losses now, pull in the life preserver, and let them paddle in their own waters. They'll figure it out. Save yourself!

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Ya know, if the friend hated In Bruges, then I'm not sure there's any hope for 'em. I say just cut your losses now, pull in the life preserver, and let them paddle in their own waters. They'll figure it out. Save yourself!

Very true. You are quite right as they refused everything above and wanted to watch Incendies. At least they liked that.

I will, however, re-visit some of the above.

On a serious note, maybe Birdman. I really enjoyed it. Been a while since I've seen it though, but there was a weird humor to it similar to the Flight Club support group kind of humor, and it had a slow tension building throughout as to the sanity of the character. At least for me.

Very true. You are quite right as they refused everything above and wanted to watch Incendies. At least they liked that.

I will, however, re-visit some of the above.
lol, sorry.
Sometimes, though, you just gotta force-feed those mashed carrots even if the kid doesn't wanna eat 'em. They need their veggies!

On a serious note, maybe Birdman. I really enjoyed it. Been a while since I've seen it though, but there was a weird humor to it similar to the Flight Club support group kind of humor, and it had a slow tension building throughout as to the sanity of the character. At least for me.
Yes, Birdman is fantastic. I watched a really weird film Borgman soon after, which for some reason felt similar thematically (not because of the title). If I get back the stamina to try and force-feed her the carrots, I might go for that.

Fight Club is in a league of its own. We watched it together a while back, me and her. One of the earliest films I used to ‘indoctrinate’ her. She was appalled at first, especially at the scene where they steal fat. I was blacklisted for a few weeks after that. But then she kind of got it and now she’s even seen Choke, which I keep avoiding because I have a sinking feeling it’s much worse than the book.

Anyway, Birdman it is for this evening. We persevere!

Takoma put forward some good suggestions. I especially like Death Becomes Her, though I don't know how dark I'd say it was.

I'll recommend one of my favourite films of all time. However, it's black hole black. I can think of plenty of people who wouldn't agree with the description of comedy no matter how black. Also, it's B&W and Belgian, so if that's a problem for them obviously don't bother with this.

Man Bites Dog

^^I've never seen a poster which puts it forward as a comedy as much as this one does^^

Sightseers?

A Simple Favor
American Psycho
Horns
A Serious Man
50/50
Fight Club
The Neon Demon
Death Becomes Her
Hard Candy
Blow the Man Down
Force Majeur
Killer Joe
The Voices
Welcome to the Dollhouse
Freeway
Bernie
Nice to see some love for A Simple Favor, Death Becomes Her, and Bernie

I didn't care for In Bruges all that much. I felt like the "dark comedy" just tried to hard.

The first third with Colin Ferall and Brandon Gleeson was A-grade stuff. Then I felt like it slowly went downhill. My sister and I saw it in the theater in Chicago when it came out and later regretted both the money and time we'd spent.

Takoma put forward some good suggestions. I especially like Death Becomes Her, though I don't know how dark I'd say it was.
It's definitely on the lighter side of "dark comedy".

I'll recommend one of my favourite films of all time. However, it's black hole black. I can think of plenty of people who wouldn't agree with the description of comedy no matter how black. Also, it's B&W and Belgian, so if that's a problem for them obviously don't bother with this.

Man Bites Dog

^^I've never seen a poster which puts it forward as a comedy as much as this one does^^
Oh yes, of course! This is a mammoth. I first watched it at 15-ish and loved every minute. But I’m afraid it’s a bit too much for the person in question. It’s the mockumentary of all mockumantaries, though.

Definitely watching Death Becomes Her.

I didn't care for In Bruges all that much. I felt like the "dark comedy" just tried to hard.

The first third with Colin Ferall and Brandon Gleeson was A-grade stuff. Then I felt like it slowly went downhill. My sister and I saw it in the theater in Chicago when it came out and later regretted both the money and time we'd spent.

It's definitely on the lighter side of "dark comedy".
I watched about 15 minutes of In Bruges and turned it off...been thinking about giving it another shot because there's a lot of love for it around here.

I watched about 15 minutes of In Bruges and turned it off...been thinking about giving it another shot because there's a lot of love for it around here.
It’s not my favourite film of all time or anything, but I thought it was quite good, and the voiceover was excellent. Also some good ambiguity around the ending.

As much as I was frustrated with it, Farrell and Gleeson give fantastic performances.

It's like a tale of two movies.

There's a drama in there that I liked, but someone spilled unfunny "comedy" all over it. Did you make it as far as the "playground scene" (where the two characters are talking)? I thought that scene was amazing.

But once they meet the crew making the movie it got . . . bad. Just bad.

WOW! How could I have forgotten about Death to Smoochy?! Great, fun watch, IMO. Same with The War of the Roses. I haven't seen that in a few decades though. I need to revisit it.

I'm sure this next suggestion is out of bounds (on a few levels), given that it's a series and it confidently pushes itself right into morbid, but the Netflix series, Happy! is about the best dark (disgustingly violent and dark), warped humor run I can think of. If the "fat scene" of Fight Club was a bit much for your friend, then likely this will not go well at all. Still, it's a wild experience and deserves to be bookmarked.