Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Victim of The Night
Haven't seen this one, but Miami Blues from the same director is a hoot. Peak Alec Baldwin, and my man Fred Ward looking like the missing link between Warren Oates and Michael Rooker.
Ha! Nice.
And yeah, I liked that one, saw it in the theater.

No, man. That's one blindspot I need to correct. I've actually only seen three of his American films (Broken Arrow, Face/Off, and M:I-2). I know, I know...
I saw Hard-Boiled earlier this year and was blown away by it. It's a contender for my favorite first-time watches of this year. I can definitely vouch for that film.

I saw Hard-Boiled earlier this year and was blown away by it. It's a contender for my favorite first-time watches of this year. I can definitely vouch for that film.
Yeah, that one and The Killer are probably the ones I've heard more about. Don't know why I haven't gotten around to it.

The Circus - I hadn't really heard of this particular Charlie Chaplin 1928 feature before. Not like I had City Lights or The Gold Rush which The Circus was sandwiched between. These and The Kid are the four Chaplin films I've watched and I think The Circus deserves a spot among them. That's how good it is. Chaplin again employs his Little Tramp character and after he's accused of a crime he didn't commit he takes refuge in a struggling circus. His inadvertent pratfalls while running from a cop delights the largely bored crowd and results in a job offer from the bitter and abusive owner. He also has a daughter who works as a bareback rider and Chaplin falls for her. The story is recycled of course but, like most of Chaplin's works, it's merely the framework for his lively and joyful antics. And make no mistake, the comedic bits in this are as good if not better than his more well known features. 90/100

THE WERETH ELEVEN (2011)
A film with the number 11 (Eleven) in its title

Walked pretty much blind into this, that I didn't even know it was a documentary. It follows the events surrounding the titular group, a small group of African-American soldiers that were pursued, captured, and tortured by the SS during the Battle of the Bulge. The story and the information provided is pretty good and worth knowing, but the execution of the documentary is very mediocre. The way the director intersects the interviews and the dramatization, and how he unfolds the facts of the story is very clumsy, which unfortunately ends up neutering most of the emotional impact it could have.

Grade:

Ryeong [The Ghost aka Dead Friend] (Tae-kyeong Kim, 2004)

K-horror that does have a little spirit but doesn't really hold water

That's issue never really occurred to me Takoma and not disagreeing with you but I don't think it ever would.
The sound design was absolutely perfect, so atmospheric.
It occurred to me because I'd been thinking a lot about Black Christmas and something I'd read about how that film handled a character wanting an abortion. I think that the concept was just fresh in my head.

I was also more interested in Rose than the other characters, feeling as thought she was more nuanced (and well acted) and so I was also kind of salty that
WARNING: spoilers below
she was killed off so soon in the film

This was definitely on the minor side of issues with a film, more just an irritation.

Border
(2018)
3.5/5

Cute little film from Sweden about trolls living among humans.

Rocky Horror Picture Show, 1975

I've seen this one twice in the theater, and really enjoyed both times. This was my first time watching it alone, just as a film.

It was a very different viewing.

For starters, the movie is genuinely funny on its own. Something that I think gets lost a bit in the theater setting is that the movie makes intentional and effective use of silence and pacing--harder to pick up on when a crowd is filling most of those silences.

I'd also forgotten just how much of the movie is music and how quick the pace feels and how much I actually like many of the songs.

Tim Curry is . . . otherworldly in his role. Every time I watch the movie I'm stuck by the effortless combination of sexuality, winking sarcasm, and the altogether outsized nature of the performance.

I was in a weird combination of feeling slightly manic and kind of dazed last night after giving blood at the end of a long work day and during a stormy night, and this was the perfect movie for my mood.

The Godless Girl (Cecil B. DeMille, 1928)
+
Blasphemy! Blasphemy! They've all got it blasphemy!

Requiem for a Dream 2000
Rewatch. Still great. Burstyn was fantastic.

Double Indemnity 1944
World Class noir.

End of the Century 2019
Some very nice parts with promising filmmaking but a bit too ambiguous at the end. It's about people who drift in and out of our lives and how accurate our memories of them really are.

The Cow 1969
Good Iranian film about how man treats his fellow man.

Rosemary’s Baby 1968
Finally saw it. Really good, can see how so many films were inspired by it.

The Blackcoat's Daughter (2015)

Another good Mofo recommendation! Spooky and atmospheric chiller about 2 girls left alone in a Catholic boarding school during a break in term. The tension builds steadily even through various time-shifts and from the perception of the main character(s). Genuinely thought this was excellent and an economically directed film that stays with you. Heard others say repeat viewings are rewarding and I can believe it.

p.s watching I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House by the same director later....fingers crossed.

Voyage To The Planet Of Prehistoric Women (Peter Bogdanovich, 1968)

Much maligned but often invokes feelings of wonder - "Why am I still watching this crap?" probably being the most common

Voyage To The Planet Of Prehistoric Women (Peter Bogdanovich, 1968)

Much maligned but often invokes feelings of wonder - "Why am I still watching this crap?" probably being the most common
Hey, finally someone rated a movie I've watched! Gotta love those seashell bikinis

Hey, finally someone rated a movie I've watched! Gotta love those seashell bikinis
Yeah, who knew Jean Paul Gaultier had outlets so far afield

I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House (2016)

Gothic horror that I thought had it's moments but was ultimately a bit thin story-wise. Ruth Wilson (whom I can take or leave) plays a housekeeper/carer of an elderly ex-novelist now suffering from dementia. When the subject of one of the authors books seems to be a presence in the house it starts getting interesting. Felt this was a posh Roald Dahls "Tales of the unexpected" rather than a fully fleshed out idea.

THE VOID (2016)
A film that starts with the letters U or V
A film about the occult

What a pleasant surprise this was. If you haven't seen it, I suggest walking in as blind as possible. To try to encapsulate what it's about or how the events unfold would be tough without revealing key plot points, but overall, it follows a small-town sheriff (Aaron Poole) that seeks refuge in a hospital with a group of people, as they try to deal with mysterious hooded cultists as well as deadly creatures. The film wastes no time and rarely lets go. It is very intense, with some great special effects. Most of the performances are pretty good, and the whole mystery surrounding everything that happens just results in an effectively creepy and eerie ambiance. Maybe it tries to bite more than it can chew, but overall, I loved it.

Grade:

Victim of The Night
THE VOID (2016)
A film that starts with the letters U or V
A film about the occult

What a pleasant surprise this was. If you haven't seen it, I suggest walking in as blind as possible. To try to encapsulate what it's about or how the events unfold would be tough without revealing key plot points, but overall, it follows a small-town sheriff (Aaron Poole) that seeks refuge in a hospital with a group of people, as they try to deal with mysterious hooded cultists as well as deadly creatures. The film wastes no time and rarely lets go. It is very intense, with some great special effects. Most of the performances are pretty good, and the whole mystery surrounding everything that happens just results in an effectively creepy and eerie ambiance. Maybe it tries to bite more than it can chew, but overall, I loved it.

Grade:
Well, you liked it more than I did, but I have a sort of soft spot for it. I think it struggles a good bit, and honestly since it's been a few years since I've seen it I can't be more specific than to say it feels like it has a lot of great moments and a lot of others that make it feel like a DTV movie, but I think the things it gets right it gets very right. So I was willing to say that it fell on the positive side of the balance but with a lot of teetering back and forth yet definitely something I would watch again.