Movies you like more than your rating.

Tools    

It's fine that you appreciated Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring (2003)... I asked because it's outright nauseating to me, what was done to the animals in the film. And that animal cruelty wasn't implied by a character's actions, it was done for real. And that's one film I object to, not that I want to ban it or anything like that. I just object on a personal level.
This seems really stupid in retrospect, but I didn't think that it was real when I saw it, simply because I didn't realize that there was no equivalent to the Humane Society in Korean cinema.

You're wrong about Forbidden Planet, the story shows that the men on the ship are acting like 'cads' (a 1950s term). They are not chivalrous, they're more interesting in chasing skirt (another 50s term) and having the robot make booze. The Captain ends up moving in on the girl, basically disrespecting the first guy who liked her. I believe there was a line in the movie explaining that the crewmen were like 'horny space marines' (that's paraphrased obviously) after being coped up in the ship for such along time. None of their actions are suppose to be virtuous or are shown to be so... AND their actions do tie in with the overall theme that humans aren't evolved enough to control their desires and fears.
This is a fair interpretation. I'll have to watch the film again to see if I warm up some more to it.

This seems really stupid in retrospect, but I didn't think that it was real when I saw it, simply because I didn't realize that there was no equivalent to the Humane Society in Korean cinema.
That's a very understandable reaction. We're all so use to movie magic creating things and places right before our eyes, that a person could watch a movie like Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring and not even notice that the animal cruelty was real. I was aware of the cruelity before I watched it, otherwise I would've thought it was just CG and not been to effected by it.

This is a fair interpretation. I'll have to watch the film again to see if I warm up some more to it.
Thanks. In the end all of our own interpretations are right, for ourselves.

That's a very understandable reaction. We're all so use to movie magic creating things and places right before our eyes, that a person could watch a movie like Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring and not even notice that the animal cruelty was real. I was aware of the cruelity before I watched it, otherwise I would've thought it was just CG and not been to effected by it.
Had I known, I would have skipped it.

And that's a good example of how a film's intention (and powerful message) doesn't outweigh its problematic elements. If someone, for moral reasons, rated the film low because of the animal cruelty I would consider that perfectly respectable.

I will have to rewatch it at some point to elaborate more on why I thought even the male hero (who I'm pretty sure we were meant to root for) was a tool. Doesn't he basically blame the woman for her clothing being too skimpy? Maybe I'm conflating it with another sci-fi film.
You're not conflating it, as I actually just rewatched the film in my research in the genre deconstruction thread (which you can check out here), and Nielsen's character does try to slut shame her for her clothing, after she's been harassed multiple times by his crew, and right after one of his men took advantage of her naivety with romantic matters by getting her to kiss him multiple times by claiming that it's a practice that's "good for your health". I mean, it's good that we got a scene later from her perspective about how much he got on her nerves, but I feel that most people would've taken his side since he's the protagonist, and his view was reflective of societal attitudes towards women at the time (plus, they fall in love anyway for no reason after he treated her like that). It also feels hypocritical on the film's part, because it still presents that view in that manner, but then tries to titalate us further with the unnecessary "skinny-dipping" scene, which made it feel skeevier. Don't get me wrong, it was a pretty good movie on the whole, but her depiction definitely felt really, really dated.

You're wrong about Forbidden Planet, the story shows that the men on the ship are acting like 'cads' (a 1950s term). They are not chivalrous, they're more interesting in chasing skirt (another 50s term) and having the robot make booze. The Captain ends up moving in on the girl, basically disrespecting the first guy who liked her. I believe there was a line in the movie explaining that the crewmen were like 'horny space marines' (that's paraphrased obviously) after being coped up in the ship for such along time. None of their actions are suppose to be virtuous or are shown to be so... AND their actions do tie in with the overall theme that humans aren't evolved enough to control their desires and fears.
But the film ends up contradicting itself on that point, because, while
WARNING: spoilers below
Commander Adams forces Dr. Morbius to restrain his subconscious urges at the end, when it comes to Altaira, he spends more time trying to get her to "control" her clothing instead of ordering his men to control the desires, desires that they're very much conscious of, which they might do if he'd try just a little bit harder, instead of spending more of his time slut-shaming the girl who's never interacted with any man other than her own father before.

The rating I give a movie is how much I like it. I'm not sure how to rate differently.

This is why reviews along with ratings are, in my opinion, essential. I just bluntly say "I love stories about an underdog and I've always liked Sam Rockwell, which undoubtedly upped my enjoyment of the film". I'll also say things like "Movies centered on car chases aren't my favorite thing, but if you like them, you right really enjoy this one."

I get the argument about movies achieving their goals. And I give movies I don't like credit for their strong elements (performances, technical merit, soundtrack, visual effects). But if a movie didn't move me, I'm not going to give it a high rating just because it accomplished what it set out to do.
Is that a specific Sam Rockwell film about an underdog you had in mind, or just an example?

I need to watch that. I have a weakness for Rockwell.
I like him as well and it's a solid film. I often get it mixed up with The Heart of the Game, which is a documentary about a girls' basketball team.