Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Before Morning (Arthur Hoerl, 1933)
+
This has it all - murder, blackmail, deception - all mixed with a heavy dose of molasses

The Wanderers -

Also known as that other 1979 movie about gangs, this is just as great and as deserving of attention as The Warriors. While it explores the gang life and all its violence, racism and camaraderie, it's also a movie about witnessing the end of an era. Set in The Bronx in 1963, besides the titular Italian gang, there's the African-American Del Bombers, the Asian Wongs and the Baldies, which I assumed were all white, but a willingness to shave your head seems to be what gets you in. Regardless, race is very much a factor, exemplified by a social studies lesson on racism that results in more insults than insights. Veteran Wanderer Richie (Ken Wahl) is our guide in all of this, a young man who very much enjoys the privileges of gang life like partying and copping feels and who also has a keen eye on what the future holds, the main arbiter of it being the silent, mysterious and real gang I haven't mentioned yet: the Ducky Boys. Truly the scariest part of the movie, their drab getup, countless membership, inhuman viciousness and seeming lack of interest in what Richie loves about being a Wanderer expertly represent everything we fear about what the future holds. Their invasion of a football game is one of the most terrifying and surreal moments in a movie I can remember. Change manifests in other subtle and not so subtle ways such as at a Marine drafting office and, well...one of the darkest moments from this year and in American history I don't have to describe. Despite these moments, the movie still manages to be joyful and funny without ever coming across as tonally inconsistent, the highlights being any of the Wanderers' interactions with the Baldies and whenever Richie and his long-suffering girlfriend Despie (The Sopranos' Toni Kalem) are together. It helps that the soundtrack is rife with golden oldies like "Walk Like a Man" and "Sherry," and while The Bronx might as well be gentrification-proof, it looks like it was shot in 1963 despite being almost two decades removed. Era shifts, as we all know and as this movie so entertainingly demonstrates, are moments that produce anxiety more than any other moment. Even so, when one is over, you may find yourself dancing with a Wong and a Del Bomber.

'Saint Maud' (2020)

Incredible that this is a debut feature. A frightening look into the mind of a young girl who chooses to take a new path and devote her life to Catholicism. Although the main theme seems to centre around the dangers of letting a fragile mind depend on organised religion for help, there are many other nods to healthcare, sexuality, mortality, morality etc. If you like films like Rosemary's Baby, The exorcist, First Reformed with the visuals of Tarkovskys The Mirror then this might be for you.

I didn't swallow for the last 20 minutes of this film, such was the tension and terror. There are also comedy moments too and the director confirms what we all suspected....God is Welsh.

The sound design and score are also some of the most effective audio I have ever heard in a cinema. That's not hyperbole. It's that good.

Rose Glass is a huge talent.

8.4/10

'Saint Maud' (2020)

Incredible that this is a debut feature. A frightening look into the mind of a young girl who chooses to take a new path and devote her life to Catholicism. Although the main theme seems to centre around the dangers of letting a fragile mind depend on organised religion for help, there are many other nods to healthcare, sexuality, mortality, morality etc. If you like films like Rosemary's Baby, The exorcist, First Reformed with the visuals of Tarkovskys The Mirror then this might be for you.

I didn't swallow for the last 20 minutes of this film, such was the tension and terror. There are also comedy moments too and the director confirms what we all suspected....God is Welsh.

The sound design and score are also some of the most effective audio I have ever heard in a cinema. That's not hyperbole. It's that good.

Rose Glass is a huge talent.

8.4/10
Oh, wow! Now I’m looking forward to it even more.

Victim of The Night
I never read any of the Guardians comics, so I can't comment on any of the changes they might have made to Ronan in the translation from page to screen, but to me, his "one-dimensonality" in the film felt not just intentional, but also necessary, in order to serve as a starker contrast to the heroes. I mean, if he was being used in a more run-of-the-mill Marvel effort (like Captain Marvel), he'd be dull, but in Guardians, he serves as a sort of straight man to the motley crew of the Guardians, so I think he works out perfectly in that context (I mean, his dumbfounded reactions to Starlord's "dance-off" challenge could not have been any more perfect, if you ask me). And of course, besides him, I just feel it's a really fun breath of fresh air in the MCU as a whole: https://letterboxd.com/stusmallz/fil...of-the-galaxy/
I think that's true in that one scene but prior to that his whole character is like one line that Glenn Close says about what his motivation is and then him just being like, "Power! I must have it! Because I am the villain! Roar!" It's pretty weak. Then he has the one "straight man" scene with Quill and he's gone forever.

Victim of The Night
48 Hrs. -

This is one of the most fun buddy cop, well...anti-buddy cop movies I've ever watched. I say anti-buddy because Reggie Hammond (Eddie Murphy) is actually a convict and to quote his assessment of his relationship with his partner, Nick Nolte's irascible Jack Cates, "we ain't brothers, we ain't partners, and we ain't friends." Not only an anti-buddy cop movie, but also a one crazy night movie, well...two crazy nights - look at the title - we follow the pair as they comb San Francisco for a fugitive and former accomplice of Hammond's, James Remar's very ruthless (and sullen) Ganz. If the plot sounds simple, it is, but twists and turns abound, and besides, the true fun of the movie comes from watching Murphy and Nolte trade barbs. This was Eddie Murphy's movie debut and it's easy to see why it made him a star. Everything he says and does either made me laugh or gasp at the fearlessness and audacity. I especially liked the scene where he shakes down a country bar - it's hard to believe such an establishment ever existed in San Francisco - which may be even better than the similar scene in The French Connection. It helps that Nolte, whose star also rose thanks to this movie, could not be a better foil. The beautifully shot San Francisco locations are the icing on the cake, the highlights being the neon-soaked Chinatown scenes which are bound to appeal to lovers of the outrun aesthetic. Not everything in the movie has aged well, most notably the more racist barbs that Cates and others level at Hammond, and while it has a better attitude about racism than other movies from this era do, they still rubbed me the wrong way. Other than that, I had a blast and would rank the movie among Shane Black's best buddy and anti-buddy movies. Look out for a young Denise Crosby (Star Trek: The Next Generation) and Jonathan Banks (Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul) in small roles.
Yeah, I feel like this movie holds up really well. Walter Hill at his best, particularly the Chinatown stuff as you pointed out. I thought the racial stuff actually holds up really well as a reminder how things were, as it feels very real for its time despite being portrayed as wrong (which of course it is). A movie I can re-watch anytime.

Excellent movie. A very satisfying farewell to Jesse. Nothing sugar-coated. He can either make it or not in Alaska. It’s entirely up to him.

Victim of The Night

The Blackcoat's Daughter (2015)

What a great but seemingly underrated horror. 5.9 on IMDB? Hard to understand how a horror fan could rate it this low. No doubt, its a slow burner and requires you to think due to its non-linear storytelling but its absolutely worth the patience required. Its really well made, with great cinematography and the performances are brilliantly creepy and morbid. If you like films with a sinister and dark tone then this is perfect. Its not packed with shocking scenes but aptly done when needed.
I also liked this a good bit but have been a little hesitant to recommend it due to its odd structure. I felt like it worked for me but wasn't sure it would work for a lot of other folk.

Victim of The Night
Romancing the Stone (1984).

An enjoyable light-hearted 80s adventure.

3/5 Stars.
Man, the Doobie Brothers broke up?! ****!

Victim of The Night
The Wanderers -

Also known as that other 1979 movie about gangs, this is just as great and as deserving of attention as The Warriors. While it explores the gang life and all its violence, racism and camaraderie, it's also a movie about witnessing the end of an era. Set in The Bronx in 1963, besides the titular Italian gang, there's the African-American Del Bombers, the Asian Wongs and the Baldies, which I assumed were all white, but a willingness to shave your head seems to be what gets you in. Regardless, race is very much a factor, exemplified by a social studies lesson on racism that results in more insults than insights. Veteran Wanderer Richie (Ken Wahl) is our guide in all of this, a young man who very much enjoys the privileges of gang life like partying and copping feels and who also has a keen eye on what the future holds, the main arbiter of it being the silent, mysterious and real gang I haven't mentioned yet: the Ducky Boys. Truly the scariest part of the movie, their drab getup, countless membership, inhuman viciousness and seeming lack of interest in what Richie loves about being a Wanderer expertly represent everything we fear about what the future holds. Their invasion of a football game is one of the most terrifying and surreal moments in a movie I can remember. Change manifests in other subtle and not so subtle ways such as at a Marine drafting office and, well...one of the darkest moments from this year and in American history I don't have to describe. Despite these moments, the movie still manages to be joyful and funny without ever coming across as tonally inconsistent, the highlights being any of the Wanderers' interactions with the Baldies and whenever Richie and his long-suffering girlfriend Despie (The Sopranos' Toni Kalem) are together. It helps that the soundtrack is rife with golden oldies like "Walk Like a Man" and "Sherry," and while The Bronx might as well be gentrification-proof, it looks like it was shot in 1963 despite being almost two decades removed. Era shifts, as we all know and as this movie so entertainingly demonstrates, are moments that produce anxiety more than any other moment. Even so, when one is over, you may find yourself dancing with a Wong and a Del Bomber.
Jesus, I haven't seen this in almost 35 years, had totally forgotten about it. Now I gotta go watch it.

Jesus, I haven't seen this in almost 35 years, had totally forgotten about it. Now I gotta go watch it.
Enjoy! I would have never heard of it if my father-in-law, who is from New York, hadn't recommended it. I'm surprised it's not more well known considering how good it is.
I should have mentioned that a young Karen Allen is in it. Damn, is she delightful.

Hmph. 10/5 popcorns at least.
I agree. It's on my Universal Monsters top tier.

Vigilante Force - This 1976 would-be paean to redneckiness, specifically the oil patch subset, stars Jan Michael Vincent (at his Jan Michael Vincent-iest) and Kris Kristofferson as brothers Ben & Aaron Arnold. Their hometown has been overrun by rowdy, law breaking roughnecks and Ben comes up with the idea to get his older brother Aaron involved. He's a troubled Vietnam vet and war hero. Aaron brings a bunch of his fellow vets with him and they take control of the lawless town. He then proceeds to take over the seamier aspects like prostitution, gambling and drugs. There is an eventual and predictable showdown between the brothers. But there's a lot, of course, that's predictable about this movie. Brawls involving countless stuntmen doling out and receiving punishment that would put a normal person in a deep coma. And there's a lot of defenestration too. When in doubt, throw someone through a plate glass window. Let's see, what else? Victoria Principal is around as JMV's girlfriend. There's not much to recommend this, but if you're a JMV fan I guess you could do worse. If you're craving redneck follies though I'd suggest going with White Line Fever instead. 70/100

is thouroughly embarrassed of this old username.
June Nihgt (Mike Maryniuk, 2020)
Cool little mixed media animation - 7/10

No Objects (Moïa Jobin-Paré, 2019)
Nice rotoscoping - 6/10

Vagabond (Agnès Varda, 1985)
I love Varda but this one's a bit of a miss for me. Other than the lovely dollying establishing shots, not much about this really grabbed me - 5/10

Crossroads
(Tamara Davis, 2002)
Has some good vibes at points but its hindered by some rough editing and shots that clearly didn't turn out how they wanted. A lot of subpar acting but the main trio are generally likeable. It's fine - 5/10

The Cannonball Woman
(David Toutevoix & Albertine Zullo, 2017)
Great little stop-motion animation about relationship difficulties. Definitely doesn't have the time to go in-depth on the topic but I love the presentation and vibe - 8/10

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

The Night of Truth AKA La nuit de la vérité (Fanta Régina Nacro, 2004)
6.5/10
La tête d'un homme AKA A Man's Neck (Julien Duvivier, 1933)
6/10
One More Try (Ruel S. Bayani, 2012)
5/10
Un carnet de bal AKA Christine (Julien Duvivier, 1937)
6.5/10

Widow Marie Bell decides to look up all the men on her dance card from her first ball 20 years previous.
Nova Lituania (Karolis Kaupinis, 2019)
6/10
General Commander (Philippe Martinez & Ross W. Clarkson, 2019)
+ 4.5/10
Vital (Shin'ya Tsukamoto, 2004)
6/10
Blood & Flesh: The Reel Life & Ghastly Death of Al Adamson (David Gregory, 2019)
7/10

C-movie cult director Adamson (left) had an interesting personal life and a mysterious demise. Just ask his contractor friend.
A Snake of June (Shin'ya Tsukamoto, 2002)
6/10
The New Mutants (Josh Boone, 2020)
5/10
Jungleland (Max Winkler, 2020)
6/10
World of Tomorrow Episode Three: The Absent Destinations of David Prime (Don Hertzfeldt, 2020)
7/10

GodBaby goes on a rampage through various cities.
Words on Bathroom Walls (Thor Freudenthal, 2020)
6.5/10
Transference: A Bipolar Love Story (Raffaello Degruttola, 2018)
4/10
The Day I Will Never Forget (Kim Longinotto, 2002)
6.5/10
The German Lesson (Christian Schwochow, 2019)
7/10

Nazi yes man Tobias Moretti loves doing his duty, including confiscating the art of his youngest child's godfather (Ulrich Noethen).
Blackjack: The Jackie Ryan Story (Danny A. Abeckaser, 2020)
+ 5/10
Crime Thief AKA Le voleur de crimes (Nadine Marquand Trintignant, 1969)
6.5/10
Midnight at the Magnolia (Max McGuire, 2020)
5/10
The Gods Must Be Crazy (Jamie Uys, 1980)
7/10

Bushman N!xau finds a Coke bottle he thinks the gods have given him and his tribe for its many uses, but he soon comes to believe that it's an evil thing.

The Boat (2019)

This wasn’t too bad. I don’t usually like single-character films, with the exception of something like Buried, but The Boat made the best of it. The way the protagonist locks himself in the bathroom is very well done. A certain claustrophobic demographic might relate. I wouldn’t say I am claustrophobic, but I do remember locking myself in the bathroom of a huge hotel on New Year’s night, and being acutely aware no one would find me for at least 24 hours - what with the music and the levels of intoxication. The film taps into that feeling quite well. The protagonist was fairly charismatic, too. The feeling of real peril was mostly lacking, though.

Victim of The Night
I agree. It's on my Universal Monsters top tier.
Yeah, it's a swell movie. And I say that because I think that it requires being able to take yourself back to that time a little bit but if you can then it's... just... swell.

The Gentlemen - The latest from Guy Ritchie and I was going to say that it's certainly better than his last one, the King Arthur flick. But I had no idea he had done the live action Aladdin after that. And since I have zero intention of ever seeing that I'll have to stick with this being an improvement over Legend of the Sword. He's back to his fondness for criminal exploits but instead of the low rent types he's instead focused on upper echelon criminals. In this case it's Michael "Mickey" Pearson, (Matthew McConaughey in somewhat tolerable mode) a self made weed tycoon. He's decided to sell off his business and retire and this attracts all sorts of the wrong type of attention. I suppose your affinity for and tolerance of Tarantino levels of verbosity will ultimately impact your reaction. I thought it was a little too chatty and glib by half and found Hugh Grant's character extremely annoying but by the end Ritchie had won me over somewhat. 80/100