Movies You Like (Not Love) And Watch Repeatedly

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Not movies you love. Not movies that are "so bad they're so good", and not movies you only like because they bring back memories of childhood, etc..

My example is a movie I gave a 7.5/10 - solid. There's something mysterious about it, but I remember watching it three times in two days, and have seen it a couple of times since then (first saw it about 6 years ago).

"La Dolce Vita" is the movie.

I don't repeatedly watch anything consecutively. I'd be bored to tears, no matter how much I loved the movie on a first watch. Only once did I watch the same movie over again on the next night and that was The Pajama Game...and only because being a musical it was easy to watch the musical numbers being done.

I've seen Beau Travail several times. I love the opening 15 or so minutes and the final half hour or so, but a lot of what happens in the middle doesn't mean much to me and drags quite a lot. I hope that, someday, I'll warm up to the film some more. Although, the bits to it which I love keep me coming back with the hope that I may finally fully warm up to it. Great acting from Lavant though. I typically don't pay attention to acting, but his narration is excellent with how much it's filled with mournful regret.

I don't repeatedly watch anything consecutively. I'd be bored to tears, no matter how much I loved the movie on a first watch. Only once did I watch the same movie over again on the next night and that was The Pajama Game...and only because being a musical it was easy to watch the musical numbers being done.
I've only done that with "On The Waterfront".. I borrowed my mom's car to go to the mall and get the movie and on my way home, I totaled her Blazer.. After all the formalities, I watched the movie and loved it so much I hit rewind and watched it again.

I watched "The Swimmer" and then saw it the next day, but I loved it.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
While you were sleeping
I love While You Were Sleeping. I've seen it so many times that I've lost count.

I recently saw Scoop for the first time, and I liked it a lot. I can see it possibly becoming a favorite movie after a few rewatches.

Most movies that I watch repeatedly are movies that I love, but there are a few movies that I watch repeatedly, even though I only like them. Some of these movies are:

Twister (1996)
The Negotiator (1998)
The Breakfast Club (1985)
Batman: The Movie (1966)

Sneakers. If I'm flipping channels and I see that it's playing, I'll finish watching it even if it's close to being over. Like a burger and fries, a dog-eared airport novel or a Van Halen song, it's something that satisfies no matter what mood I'm in. Speaking of airport novels, it's good but not great, and while there are probably better techno thrillers out there, there's something I can't put my finger on about Sneakers that makes it endlessly rewatchable.

OP do you mean something along the lines of comfort food?

I prefer to keep re-watches of movies that I 'love' to a minimum. That way when I do revisit these GOAT films in my book, they remain fresh and I manage to discover new aspects of the film. It's also a way to analyze these films from my perspective that's changing.

Movies that I like I have no issue keeping it on in the background while I TCB. I don't feel guilty about not giving it my full cinephile attention.

For example I could throw 500 Days of Summer on and watch while I fold my laundry. There's no way I do that with a movie like Lost in Translation which I love. That would require my undivided attention.

OP do you mean something along the lines of comfort food?

I prefer to keep re-watches of movies that I 'love' to a minimum. That way when I do revisit these GOAT films in my book, they remain fresh and I manage to discover new aspects of the film. It's also a way to analyze these films from my perspective that's changing.

Movies that I like I have no issue keeping it on in the background while I TCB. I don't feel guilty about not giving it my full cinephile attention.

For example I could throw 500 Days of Summer on and watch while I fold my laundry. There's no way I do that with a movie like Lost in Translation which I love. That would require my undivided attention.
Sure, if you want.. For me, it was more intrigue.

Harry Potter
The Lord of the Rings
The Avengers
Terminator

Not sure if it counts or not, but Heat is the first film which springs to mind.

Probably seen it 7-10 times at least. I love watching it, but I don't think it's that great and nor do I love the film. I just enjoy watching it. It's a weird relationship with the film.

It's a weird relationship with the film.

One of the most interesting lines on this thread.. I'm wondering if anyone else has a weird relationship with a movie...

Do you know why? I'm intrigued.

Welcome to the human race...
Do you know why? I'm intrigued.

(seriously though, is it really that unusual to rewatch films that you'd rate in the 7-8 range? A 7 or 8 is still a pretty good rating that describes a lot of films and I can think of countless films that'd fit the criteria - I'd honestly find it more interesting if there were films that you rate like 5/10 or lower but still felt compelled to rewatch)

(seriously though, is it really that unusual to rewatch films that you'd rate in the 7-8 range? A 7 or 8 is still a pretty good rating that describes a lot of films and I can think of countless films that'd fit the criteria - I'd honestly find it more interesting if there were films that you rate like 5/10 or lower but still felt compelled to rewatch)
omg loved him on scarface lol

is thouroughly embarrassed of this old username.
I watched Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children like 15 times even though I always thought it was like a 6/10 at best. Don't know what that was about.

Movies that I never get tired of watching and re-watching:

Cabaret
Soapdish
Mary Poppins
Victor/Victoria
Con Air
The Breakfast Club
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
All That Jazz
Chicago
Dreamgirls
Trading Places
Tootsie
Ghostbusters
Groundhog Day
Arthur (1981)
S.O.B.
Face/Off
Dog Day Afternoon
The Prisoner of Second Avenue
Valley of the Dolls

I have a few -

Ghostbusters - because it's fun and it's a great New York movie and I love being in the city, but am not there now.

Gladiator - because I had 5 years of Latin in school and it's been a while since I had a sit-down with the emperor Commodus.

The Fog - because it's a creepy, early John Carpenter ghost story, set in a spooky lighthouse I have visited.

The Forbidden Planet - because it has a great robot (Robbie) and because my parents took me to the drive in to see it.

The Fog - because it's a creepy, early John Carpenter ghost story, set in a spooky lighthouse I have visited.
That's another one I think I enjoy watching more than I think it's good. No idea how many times I've seen it.