Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Victim of The Night

I spent the first hour or so lamenting the fact that such a decent cast was being wasted in such a boring unfunny movie, but when they started to inject some sappy stuff there at the end my boredom transitioned into an active dislike. Ugh. Two stars for you, movie!
This is one of the first movies I ever remember seeing the trailer and saying, "That's just gonna be bad." I was only like 12, I think, when it was released (might have just turned 13), still enjoying things like Ninja III: The Domination, and I could tell just looking at the trailer that this movie was going to suck. I mean, a horror-comedy should have been right up my alley and I already liked Jeff Goldblum from The Big Chill and Buckaroo Banzai and Geena Davis from Fletch... and yet... I could just tell that that was garbage. Probably the first time I was every able to discern.

This is one of the first movies I ever remember seeing the trailer and saying, "That's just gonna be bad." I was only like 12, I think, when it was released (might have just turned 13), still enjoying things like Ninja III: The Domination, and I could tell just looking at the trailer that this movie was going to suck. I mean, a horror-comedy should have been right up my alley and I already liked Jeff Goldblum from The Big Chill and Buckaroo Banzai and Geena Davis from Fletch... and yet... I could just tell that that was garbage. Probably the first time I was every able to discern.
Over the years my brain somehow merged this with Haunted Honeymoon, about which I've never heard anything good. So when I realized this was something else, and got a look at the cast, I briefly hoped that it would be funny. Womp wommmp....

Victim of The Night
Just sat through Guardians Of The Galaxy again.
It's weird, I am a big Marvel fan, the movies for sure but also the comics since I was old enough to look at "picture books", and I know this was a big, big hit for them and lots of people love it, but I was terribly disappointed in it in the theater. And I keep giving it another try every once in a while, because it definitely has moments and some of the characters are enjoyable or at least work ok. But ultimately, I think the script is pretty weak, the movie rushes from action sequence to actions sequence with mostly expository dialogue in between the quippy bits, and it also ruins a lot of the comic-book lore for me.
I am aware that that last one is probably the biggest factor and that may not be fair considering that I have been completely fine with how the MCU has retconned SO many characters and stories, but this group really bothered me. Gamora is probably the biggest failure and that's a shame because she fascinated me in the comics and I think Zoe Soldano is well-cast for it, but her character... well, barely even has a character in this movie. The changes to Drax were really bothersome to me and while I have come to accept him and even enjoy him in the other films, it still bothers me in this first one. Nebula barely makes any sense at all as they try to shoe-horn her into this one, the Nova Corps is completely ruined, just a joke, and Ronan was a ****ing tragedy, arguably the most one-dimensional, mustache-twirling, throwaway villain in the MCU.
So yeah, it's just really hard for me to have much fun with this movie, outside of appreciating that they brought both Rocket and Groot successfully to the screen, they brought Marvel to Space (where I like it), and it has a good soundtrack.

Victim of The Night
Over the years my brain somehow merged this with Haunted Honeymoon, about which I've never heard anything good. So when I realized this was something else, and got a look at the cast, I briefly hoped that it would be funny. Womp wommmp....
Yeah, it's funny you mention that one, I had a similar experience with it but that one I remember I instantly could see that it would stink on ice. I guess it's right around that age, 12-14 that I learned the difference between good and bad movies. I mean, for example, I spoke reasonably well of Cherry 2000 (from '87, just a year after Haunted Honeymoon and two after T6-5k) before Corri shut down, but that's because it actually works for the level of filmmaking that it's at. For the budget, the script makes sense and actually has things like characters and motivation, it has a cogent narrative, it has respectable acting, it has a sort of vision, it executes that vision with some competence (again, for the budget)... is it a "good" movie, eh, I dunno, but at it at least kinda works. But it doesn't take a genius to see that both of these other films are nearly the opposite, larger budgets dumped into bad ideas with slicker, tin-eared production, aimed to play it safe, and while trying to please broadly, actually hitting no target at all. And to me, that is always an uglier spectacle than a film that's only not "good" because of what it had to work with. Ya know what I mean?

Nice review! I compared 1st world to 3rd world because of the backstory. Theresa always has the option of going back home. She can leave her children with people. Go on holiday. Change her work. Not so in Kenya. But yes, the rest of what you write is spot on. The transactional nature of sex, life, work, living is what the Director rams home in this great film.

I too have travelled to Thailand, Indonesia, Cambodia, West Africa etc and although you do feel like a walking ATM at times, there was never any point where I felt threatened or conned or manipulated. The Cambodian people in particular are some of the nicest most genuine people I've ever met. It's just life.

Hamilton.
Epic Broadway musical.

Need a second watch to completely absorb the contents. But great watch.

4/5

Maybe I went too thirsty on this one, I read a couple of really good reviews. I have to remember to keep my expectations low

'Paper Moon' (1971)

Finally got round to it. Brilliant film, nearly broke me. The way relationship blossoms is epic. Tatum O'Neal smoked cigarettes at age 9 way cooler than I ever have! It's quite an honest film - in terms of language used - it's set in the 30s but I enjoyed the profanity used for some reason. Made it more raw. If this qualifies as a road movie then it's surely one of the greatest ever. And that ending - wowzers.

WARNING: "slight spoiler" spoilers below
Of course he's her father.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Nice review! I compared 1st world to 3rd world because of the backstory. Theresa always has the option of going back home. She can leave her children with people. Go on holiday. Change her work. Not so in Kenya. But yes, the rest of what you write is spot on. The transactional nature of sex, life, work, living is what the Director rams home in this great film.

I too have travelled to Thailand, Indonesia, Cambodia, West Africa etc and although you do feel like a walking ATM at times, there was never any point where I felt threatened or conned or manipulated. The Cambodian people in particular are some of the nicest most genuine people I've ever met. It's just life.
I'd also add that these women were upper middle-class, so they are even distinct in their native countries. I think Kenyans would compare themselves to other Kenyans ala "Keepin' Up With The Jones'". Then again, is love ever free? I don't think so. Everyone pays, and sometimes with nothing to show for it after 5 minutes.

I never felt threatened in Thailand, but I am also a man. The people were definitely nice, but it's part of their charm to sell you stuff. It's most of their economy, so they have to engage in this touristic stuff. I was there in 2012, and I rented a motorbike and went all over - Bangkok, Kanchanaburi, Ayuttuhuya, Chiang Mai, and some villages we ran into on accident, and they seemed to have the things they needed, and the things we have - cell phones, cars, etc., but definitely not comparable to the wealth of other nations. But many seem self-employed, and don't hate work. I kept hearing it being called "The Land of Smiles" and it was. Just like we discussed earlier, everything has a trade-off.

Victim of The Night
'Paper Moon' (1971)

Finally got round to it. Brilliant film, nearly broke me. The way relationship blossoms is epic. Tatum O'Neal smoked cigarettes at age 9 way cooler than I ever have! It's quite an honest film - in terms of language used - it's set in the 30s but I enjoyed the profanity used for some reason. Made it more raw. If this qualifies as a road movie then it's surely one of the greatest ever. And that ending - wowzers.

WARNING: "slight spoiler" spoilers below
Of course he's her father.

Man, I loved this movie when I was younger. Haven't seen it in an age, sounds like I should remedy that.

First of all, it's a delight seeing you share your movie thoughts again! I think part of the reason why I was somewhat underwhelmed with Melville's Le Samourai is because I'd already seen Jarmusch spiritually remake it through a Blaxploitation/Wu-Tang lens with Ghost Dog.

I've been meaning to ask you about that
for The Limits of Control in an earlier post. I've liked/loved just about everything from Jarmusch, but that was such a nothing film to me, and it seems to be almost universally panned. Just curious what in the world you liked about it or got out of the experience.
Thanks Captain, always good to hear you're reading I wanted to write a bit about those two movies in particular as I've really been on a Jarmusch kick as you've noticed. All of his films I've watched recently have been with my brother too and he's loved them all too, we've had lots of discussions about them which I've really enjoyed.

What I would say about both Ghost Dog and The Limits of Control is similar actually to Stranger Than Paradise in that Jarmusch experiments with removing as many genre elements as possible, stripping stories to their bare bones and then bringing in other artistic elements to create a sense of rhythm instead of action. Instead of chase or fight scenes we have interesting conversations, on-screen texts, meaningful music and so on.

Limits is definitely Jarmusch's most extreme film and I can understand why this "self-indulgence" could be off-putting, but I really found the whole thing to be very calming and riveting in its own way. It has a tranquility about it.

I also think that in the context of his body of work it's an interesting statement once again about people and their relation to the planet. Jarmusch's version of America feels far more honest than any other filmmaker, he elevates fringe players to key roles and examines the exploitative nature of society. I think it's most prevalent in Dead Man where the main character is on a fatal journey. This time we're in Europe and instead of normal spy film conventions, our character seems to frustratingly do the opposite. I'll have to watch it again to be sure but I found his confrontation with Bill Murray to be fascinating, very overtly anti-American in many ways. I'm not really sure what to say past this, it's a bit rambly but yeah... to me I just found it captivating and mesmerising, not boring as some others seem to.

Videoman (2018)

Swedish Romance thriller about 2 people lost in the modern world. One used to have the best VHS rental shop in Sweden (and still collects) and the other is an office worker alcoholic who finds solace in all things 80s. It's a bit "bitty" (the subplot of the Fulci film and the romance are a bit ham-fisted) but the performances of both leads make this a strong and enjoyable film.

Boldly going.
Jumanji: the next level
5/10.
The Rock's impression of Danny DeVito was funny for about 5 minutes... Then I just didn't care.

A Day in the Country (1936) - 7/10

WARNING: spoilers below
Though I enjoyed the craft a decent bit more than the central romance, I still liked this film quite a lot. Technically speaking, it packs a strong punch. For example, Rodolphe opening a window to find Henriette swinging felt like an alluring artistic tableau, while the famous rain scene stuck out as one of the most beautiful portrayals of the passage of time I've seen in film. Also, when I rewatched it, I noticed that several scenes had an undercurrent of fatalism, one which hinted that the apparent end wasn't the actual end. These bits got under my skin pretty well and a third viewing may reveal more examples of this. In regard to the romance between Henri and Henriette, it was brief (what can you do; it was only 40 minutes), but one gets the impression from it that Henriette felt more at ease with Henri as opposed to Anatole. Unfortunately though, as is a trapping with many classic films, the film had a layer of sexism. In one scene, Henri forced himself on Henriette despite her trying to get him to stop. Shortly afterwards though, she fell for this creepy behavior and willingly kissed him in return. This left a sour taste in my mouth which lasted throughout the ending, as I didn't care much for their relationship at that point. Also, though I'm not sure this was the case, it seemed like Rodolphe looked up Henriette's skirt while she was on the swing, which was another creepy scene presented as romantic. In spite of this, however, I still think the film has plenty to offer that its worth a watch.

The Lost City of Z, 2016

In the early 1900s, Percy Fawcett (Charlie Hunnam) is sent to South America to help survey the border between two countries to help settle border disagreements. While there, one of the indigenous people he has hired as a guide tells him the story of a lost ancient city deep in the forest. During his expedition, accompanied by a man named Henry Costin (Robert Pattinson), Fawcett discovers small pieces of pottery and figurines that lead him to believe the story of the lost city is real. Thus begins a decade long obsession with finding the lost city, something that puts him at odds with his fellow explorers and strains his relationship with his wife Nina (Sienna Miller) and his children (the oldest son is played by Tom Holland).

This movie was very up and down for me. It is biographical, and while it seems that they stuck to the chronology of his life, it meant that the film kept bouncing back between South America and Europe.

The scenes in South America are very strong. The film manages to convey the danger of the forest and of hostile indigenous tribes without overly exoticizing the land or the people. I cannot go into specifics, but the final 20 minutes or so were beautiful and haunting.

The scenes in Europe are less compelling. Fawcett's family is understandably upset at how much time he spends away from them. There is a medium length sequence that takes place during World War One. The scenes are well acted, but they didn't click with me the same way as the parts in the forest. There is one stand-out sequence in which, during a respite from the fighting in the trenches, Fawcett has his palm read by a psychic.

The film looks great. I read that some critics felt that Hunnam's performance was flat and uncharismatic. I felt as if I understood what he was going for--a man who does not entirely feel at home in his native country, and yet can only really approach South America as an invader/outsider. I will agree, however, that too much of what's happening with Fawcett feels as though it is under the surface. Pattinson and Miller do really well in their respective supporting roles, but it seems as if the most important things happening with Fawcett are truly internal, and so the relationships with the other characters don't have the necessary heft. At several points, supporting characters just vanished from the film and I hardly noticed.

A decent film with a haunting final act that I can't stop thinking about.

Can't even see where the knob is

Dreamscape - ★★★☆☆
Joseph ruben, 1984
-----------------------------------------------

Solid little sci/fi thriller that resembles A Nightmare on Elm Street in more ways than one, for well-documented reasons. It's sadly the lesser film of the two, except for the visuals, which do a MUCH better job of constructing a creepy dream world for us to delve into. Of course, a major point of ANOES is the blurring of lines between dreams and reality, so I won't hold that against Craven's flick. But even so, it was nice to see things that are properly dreamy and weird.