Cool Movie Recommending Sites

Tools    

Does https://www.movieforums.com count?

(I'm determined to win a free MoFo coffee mug somehow)

If you use the IMDB advance search, you can plug in all sorts of parameters. I did a search for:
Feature Film
Released between 1969-12-31 and 1979-12-31
User Rating between 6.8 and 8.8
Rating Count between 0 and 250
(Sorted by Popularity Ascending)

https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?t...,250&count=250

Check it out, there should be some hidden gems in there, you just have to do the leg work to find them.

If you use the IMDB advance search, you can plug in all sorts of parameters. I did a search for:

This made me laugh.

"I want a movie that's good. But not TOO good!"

I will sometimes set a minimum rating, but honestly there are movies I really like that somehow have like a 4.9 average or something.

This made me laugh.

"I want a movie that's good. But not TOO good!"

I will sometimes set a minimum rating, but honestly there are movies I really like that somehow have like a 4.9 average or something.
I just quickly plugged in some numbers. I found if I go to 10 then you get a bunch of unknown films with a handful of 10 ratings. Can't say I've seen a legit film with higher than 8.8 at imdb.

is thouroughly embarrassed of this old username.
Surprisingly, Rateyourmusic is really solid. Their genre tags are unmatched. Like, if you want to search for top rated Hungarian New Wave films from 1968 you can, lol.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Feature Film
Released between 1969-12-31 and 1979-12-31
Rating Count between 0 and 250
(Sorted by Popularity Ascending)

https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?t...,250&count=250

Check it out, there should be some hidden gems in there, you just have to do the leg work to find them.
I always use that.. I just wish the "Language" filter would be less literal. "Pulp Fiction" comes under Spanish because someone probably said "si"

I notice that even filtering out movies with less than 1,000 votes bring up a lot of 9/10's are usually from India, and guessing Chiiiiiiiiina.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Surprisingly, Rateyourmusic is really solid. Their genre tags are unmatched. Like, if you want to search for top rated Hungarian New Wave films from 1968 you can, lol.
What are unmatched genre tags?

I went to the site, and even typed in "Hungarian New Wave films from 1968" and got nothing but Magyar (which I already know is Hungarian spending a few weeks there).

I'm always looking for 70s Female Vocal prog-rock MUSIC - couldn't find any there, either.

I just quickly plugged in some numbers. I found if I go to 10 then you get a bunch of unknown films with a handful of 10 ratings. Can't say I've seen a legit film with higher than 8.8 at imdb.
I usually just set a minimum of 100 or 200 votes. That tends to weed out the "every family member of the lead actor gave it a 10/10" films.

I often won't consider things under about a 4.5, but there are plenty of good films out there that get tanked by people who are being racist, sexist, or just randomly targeting films to pelt with 1/10 ratings (see Demon). At the time I watched the movie Salvage, it had something like a 4.7 average (which I see is now up to a 5.4). I think it's a pretty great little independent horror.

My general pattern is to set a genre that I'm in the mood for and then "feature film" and then exclude titles I've already rated. Then I just go by plot descriptions.

is thouroughly embarrassed of this old username.
What are unmatched genre tags?

I went to the site, and even typed in "Hungarian New Wave films from 1968" and got nothing but Magyar (which I already know is Hungarian spending a few weeks there).

I'm always looking for 70s Female Vocal prog-rock MUSIC - couldn't find any there, either.

Honestly the site isn't as intuitive as it could be but if you go to the "charts" tab it'll let you search up years, genres, themes, regions etc as well as search by top rated, bottom rated or esoteric. That also goes for music and apparently video games now too.

Oh, and by the genre tags being "unmatched" I just meant no other site I've across has genre tags as robust and specific as RYM.

A bit late to the party, but I would like to throw skriber into the ring. Be warned though: it's fairly fresh, still buggy and seems to be a one man-show, but what makes skriber cool is, that it's the only service I know of, that let's you follow actors and filmmakers and notifies you by email, when upcoming movies or tv shows are announced. Another cool thing is, that it display cooperations between actors / filmmakers and gives you a feed of movies / tv shows, that contain all the people you follow.