Revenge film about Mormons

Tools    

Hi, everyone. Many thanks for helping me find Fled. I’m now looking for a film I haven’t seen myself. In this film, a young man dressed in black arrives at the mountain top to an isolated commune, asks to spend the night and winter. It’s a village with houses of about 40 people. He pays and stays.

He is put to live with a woman. He has his own room. When he is shown alone, he has a photograph of a woman by his side. It is not explained who she is. He becomes part of the commune and works with the others.

There is also a young couple of the local commune members. The commune is run by a ‘gang’ of a father and his sons. They are violent.

Eventually, it is shown his mother was from this village/commune and was murdered. He has come to avenge her murder and murdered all the violent leaders. The village remains, ‘freed’, there are many families with children who continue to live in the mountains. The person who’s seen the film thinks it’s about Mormons. It’s set in the US and the characters are white.

In a flashback, it is shown that on the wedding night of young couples in this commute, the elders rape the women. This is what happened to the protagonist’s mother and why she wanted to escape and was killed.

Grateful for all suggestions.

This is The Dark Valley, an Austrian western which is actually a pretty good movie. I just watched it a few months ago. It's not about Mormons and it doesn't take place in the US (but in the Austrian Alps) but it's basically a western so I guess it's easy to remember that wrong.

This is The Dark Valley, an Austrian western
I've heard of spaghetti westerns, but I'm not sure what to call this.

The first time I read your note, I thought it said Australian, which could work. A western in the Alps???

I've heard of spaghetti westerns, but I'm not sure what to call this.
A strudel western perhaps??

I've kind of assumed that the term Sauerkraut Western would include this, but now that I looked it seems to refer precisely to East-German films with heavy political undertones. So I don't know if there's a proper sub-genre for this. Anyways, it's definitely worth a watch (will probably be in my vote for the Western Countdown).