Updated Top Whatever List

→ in
Tools    

is thouroughly embarrassed of this old username.
The last time I did one of these was at least 4 years ago so I suppose its time for an update. This is a top "whatever" list because my list is never a set amount, its always just everything I'd score a 4.5/5 or higher. Don't expect any sprawling essays on why these films are dope, I'm terrible at explaining these things. Also, I'm going to try to finish this in the next couple days because I'm off for vacation later this week. Anyway...

#46. Rhythmus 23 (1928) - Hans Richter

A short, simple animation but its so smooth and rhythmic (despite being silent) and it just felt like magic watching it the first time.

#45. City of Women (1980) - Federico Fellini

A super fun film. Not so much a straight-forward story but more a series of related vignettes that are always humorous and interesting in someway. Fellini's imagination is a wonder.

#44. I Hate But Love (1962) - Koreyoshi Kurahara

A fun road trip movie with lovely, bright colours and a great relationship between the main characters.

#43. Ballet Mécanique (1924) - Dudley Murphy & Fernand Léger

Experimental and surreal, this short is filled to the brim with really interesting shots and the score is amazingly abrasive and off-putting.

#42. Hiroshima Mon Amour (1959) - Alain Resnais

A slow-moving drama that looks absolutely gorgeous all the time and the atmosphere is so thick and palpable that the mood of the film is unforgettable.

#41. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (2010) - Tatsuya Ishihara & Yasuhiro Takemoto

A beautiful continuation to one of my favourite anime series "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya", the animation is stellar even if it is a bit too digital and it brings such strong emotion with characters we didn't get that from in the original series.

40. Delicacies of Molten Horror Synapse (1991) - Stan Brakhage

Brakhage's painted works aren't really my go to out of his filmography but this is the one that hit me the hardest. The textures, lighting and editing techniques are phenomenal.

39. The Infernal Cake-Walk (1903) - Georges Méliès

An impressive early piece of cinema that's really funny and some of the cuts are literally perfect.

38. Heroic Purgatory (1970) - Yoshishige Yoshida

It's completely surreal and impossible to follow but I love the overexposed look and almost every single shot is mind-blowing or at the very least interesting.

37. The Mammals of Victoria (1994) - Stan Brakhage

I can assure you this is not the last appearance Brakhage makes on this list. Even though this is clearly just footage he shot on a family vacation and also mostly just shots of water, Brakhage makes it an absolute treat with his immensely creative shots and editing. This is just mesmerizing from start to finish.

36. Throw Away Your Books, Rally in the Streets (1971) - Shuji Terayama

Though it is rather surreal and scattered, the film is grounded by the consistent themes of rebellion and just about every shot is incredible and there's really cool uses of colour filters throughout.

35. The Domain of the Moment (1977) - Stan Brakhage

Super cool shots and editing like usual but specifically the overlapping and cross-fading images make this film magical. My only complaint is that the last sequence is probably the weakest.

34. Rumble in the Bronx (1995) - Stanley Tong

Jackie Chan is one of the most talented human beings on the planet and this is his film that works for me the most.

33. Band of Outsiders (1964) - Jean-Luc Godard

This is just the coolest. The music cues are so on point and every joke lands 100%.

32. Barton Fink (1991) - Joel & Ethan Coen

This film deftly balances humor and tension in some really brilliant ways. The mosquito scene in particular is one of the best ever.