Greetings From a Life in Exile

Tools    

Hey All

I joined a few years ago, but never actually posted on here til a day or 2 ago,after being reminded of the existence of this Board.

And now starting to get involved.

One thing is, I'm actually blind, so despite my affinity for films am not always able to appreciate them in the same way as most on here. But with that comes different insight and perspective. Like most genres and do frequent the cinema roughtly 3-4 films a week in addition to netflix or reflecting on memories of films from when I still could see. So yeah, anyhow that's me.

Look forward to crossing paths with everyone on here.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Hello!

Is your favourite movie ever Derek Jarman's Blue?
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Can't say have heard of that one. The only film Blue... or Bleu is of the Three Colours trilogy variety, lol.

Hey All

I joined a few years ago, but never actually posted on here til a day or 2 ago,after being reminded of the existence of this Board.

One thing is, I'm actually blind, so despite my affinity for films am not always able to appreciate them in the same way as most on here. But with that comes different insight and perspective. Like most genres and do frequent the cinema roughtly 3-4 films a week in addition to netflix or reflecting on memories of films from when I still could see. So yeah, anyhow that's me.

Fascinating! How do you "read" people's posts? Do you use some audio translation technology?

There are things called screen readers that do that, yeah.

I'd love to hear more about this, as I don't get to hear from people using this technology much.

I had one friend who was blind (sadly passed on).

Hope it's not inappropriate to post a story on this thread, but I had one outing with the man which taught me a lot.

First, "don't touch the blind person, let the blind person touch you." Or as he added, "You lead and I follow, but I'm not a dog on a leash. Let me know when you're ready for me to grab your arm - don't grab mine."

The irony: we went to a 7-11, or Wawa (don't remember which) that he was familiar with and he had me order him lunch - the entire thing was automated and I'm technologically behind the times so I didn't know how to operate these machines. He had it all memorized - and the crowd was kind of getting a kick out of how the blind man had to instruct the sighted man on how to order lunch.

But then he got into a verbal altercation with the cashier when she had questions about his card. She kept addressing her questions to me - so my friend spoke up and said, "The card is mine. I'm making the purchase." She kept talking to me and, even though he couldn't see that she wasn't looking at him, he said, "Why are you talking to him? It's MY card. Stop looking at him and talk to me! I may be blind but I'm not deaf!"

He was very good at standing up for himself.

Also, once at his house we got him some fast food and in trying to be helpful I unwrapped his straw & utensils for him. He asked if there was another straw still wrapped, there was. He explained that he preferred to inspect and unwrap anything he was going to put into his mouth himself.

Fascinating! How do you "read" people's posts? Do you use some audio translation technology?

Bascially yes. There are a couple of options, I use one called zoomtext, but there is another called JAWS.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Welcome back then! I dig the name and I'm jazzed to get your perspective on any movie or topic you consider posting.

I'd love to hear more about this, as I don't get to hear from people using this technology much.
This past year I've more or less had a crash course developing for screen readers. Developing is a very loose term here. Mostly just setting up PDFs and Word docs for government 508 compliances. Fascinating stuff, in my opinion. But yeah, we have to test using the software screen reader, JAWS. In my opinion that is a borderline racket in that license cost is outrageous and feels as though the company is taking advantage of a market with limited options.

There is a free reader called NVDA, if you are interested in the experience. Or for testing accessibility of your own site through the "eyes" of such readers. There is an option to donate but it is not necessary for download. Both applications have their own set of custom command keys used to navigate various file and document types, and are contextual depending on what you are doing. For example, you have unique commands to skip to the next table of a document and then use commands to navigate by row, column, cell, and even letter by letter of a word. It's all quite elaborate and really has been a kick to the face learning how much can be taken for granted. But it is interesting. I kind of annoy ALL my co-workers now informing them to be mindful of this or that when it comes to our services or web development. Fun stuff lol.

I use zoomtext for one really simple reason. While JAWS is the more comprehensive reading software, it has a major setback to it. When i is used on a browser (safari, firefox etc) for the internet, anytime the browswer gets an update, JAWS will stop working until it also has been updated, and depending on what or how much, this can take a while, which means constantly having to revert back to using previous versions of the browser, whihc is annoying and a pain in the arse.

Zoomtext is not exactly perfect either, but find it easier to let it read what is one the screen, then stopping it when I type, otherwise it reads what Ive written about a couple of words after I've typed, which as you can imagine can really get a bit confusing and distracting from train of thought when just trying to write it out... which because I'm then lazy just submit rather than having it then do all the spellchecking etc. So apologies for typos in advance, lol.

I had one friend who was blind (sadly passed on).

Hope it's not inappropriate to post a story on this thread, but I had one outing with the man which taught me a lot.

First, "don't touch the blind person, let the blind person touch you." Or as he added, "You lead and I follow, but I'm not a dog on a leash. Let me know when you're ready for me to grab your arm - don't grab mine."

The irony: we went to a 7-11, or Wawa (don't remember which) that he was familiar with and he had me order him lunch - the entire thing was automated and I'm technologically behind the times so I didn't know how to operate these machines. He had it all memorized - and the crowd was kind of getting a kick out of how the blind man had to instruct the sighted man on how to order lunch.

But then he got into a verbal altercation with the cashier when she had questions about his card. She kept addressing her questions to me - so my friend spoke up and said, "The card is mine. I'm making the purchase." She kept talking to me and, even though he couldn't see that she wasn't looking at him, he said, "Why are you talking to him? It's MY card. Stop looking at him and talk to me! I may be blind but I'm not deaf!"

He was very good at standing up for himself.

Also, once at his house we got him some fast food and in trying to be helpful I unwrapped his straw & utensils for him. He asked if there was another straw still wrapped, there was. He explained that he preferred to inspect and unwrap anything he was going to put into his mouth himself.

This is very common. Obviously doing something a number of times and tend to remember, which is fine until it is moved or altered in some way, lol.

There is a lot to be said for the kindness of strangers though, and generally speaking it comes from a place of good intentions... but that doesn't stop me from having a near on heart attack when I'm standing and listening to cross the road and focusingon listening for the cars coming and going in either direction to guage when it is safe... only for someone to grab my arm and take 2 steps onto the road before they say anything, like "i'll get ya across, big fella etc", which like i say is a good intention... but it doesnt stop my heart from near launching out of my chest when it happens, lol.

Generally people are pretty considerate and helpful and it is appreciated. And that includes the staff at the cinema that I am a regular at - usually once a week but making a day of it when I do, and sittign through 3-4 films in a day, and more often than not am unaccompanied when I do. Am on first name basis with like half the staff, and they are all very helpful and considerate. And that is the case with other places that I frequent - train station, cab drivers etc.

Although one thing that I do find kinda ironic is that if I'm walking down the street, I tend to stick to the walls of buildings or shopfronts etc. Which dpes mean sometimes people will be stopped as they are doing something on their phone or having a smoke or whatever... but the ironic thing that always gets me is that if there are a few of them, say in fromt of a cafe or resteraunt or whatever and are having a chat, I can hear them talking which is fine, because if they are talking its like a radar, I can figure out how far ahead etc they are and try to go around, but literally everytime when they see me approaching the conversation stops and they are all silent, as if that is somehow going to help me when I've kinda lost where they are how far etc, lol.

So if you see a blind person coming, by all means feel free to clear a path, but don't stop chatting etc on our behalf because hearing the voices helps us avoid bumping into other people, lol.

Welcome back then! I dig the name and I'm jazzed to get your perspective on any movie or topic you consider posting.

This past year I've more or less had a crash course developing for screen readers. Developing is a very loose term here. Mostly just setting up PDFs and Word docs for government 508 compliances. Fascinating stuff, in my opinion. But yeah, we have to test using the software screen reader, JAWS. In my opinion that is a borderline racket in that license cost is outrageous and feels as though the company is taking advantage of a market with limited options.

You're not kidding. Even after it has been subsidized by the Blind Society where I am, it still cost me about £800... which is a lot more than I paid for the laptop itself!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Hey All

Hello and Welcome!

I had a friend in college who was blind, and she was better at many things than I was then, or will ever be. She used to complain about some of the things that people did, that I didn't think she would get upset about because she couldn't see them. For example, she would complain if she came into my room while I was lying down in bed, but I didn't sit up when I started talking to her. I was amazed that she could actually tell if I was lying down or sitting up.

You mentioned "reflecting on memories of films from when you still could see". So it sounds like you weren't always blind. Do you mind telling us what happened? And "It's none of your business" is a perfectly acceptable answer if you don't want to talk about it.

I use zoomtext for one really simple reason. While JAWS is the more comprehensive reading software, it has a major setback to it. When i is used on a browser (safari, firefox etc) for the internet, anytime the browswer gets an update, JAWS will stop working until it also has been updated, and depending on what or how much, this can take a while, which means constantly having to revert back to using previous versions of the browser, whihc is annoying and a pain in the arse.

Zoomtext is not exactly perfect either, but find it easier to let it read what is one the screen, then stopping it when I type, otherwise it reads what Ive written about a couple of words after I've typed, which as you can imagine can really get a bit confusing and distracting from train of thought when just trying to write it out... which because I'm then lazy just submit rather than having it then do all the spellchecking etc. So apologies for typos in advance, lol.
Thanks for expounding. How's the reader work on this site? Is it fetching desktop or mobile? I'm hoping the site is fairly usable/accessible but as I mentioned, I don't get too many people who can help me test it or provide feedback on that. If there are any problem areas or things I can maybe fix, it probably wouldn't be too difficult on my end.

Thanks for expounding. How's the reader work on this site? Is it fetching desktop or mobile? I'm hoping the site is fairly usable/accessible but as I mentioned, I don't get too many people who can help me test it or provide feedback on that. If there are any problem areas or things I can maybe fix, it probably wouldn't be too difficult on my end.

As far as reading goes, it's just a matter of getting used to the navigation, tabbing to where you want to get to etc... or going to the last post and working back from there. It's obviously a little more complicated than it would be for most people, but it's just a matter of just having to grin and bear it, even if that means do sometimes miss some things but it's ok - just have to do the best in the situation. This is on laptop btw.

I guess it's just the same as if you were to get used to navigating an iphone by using the voice (not Siri, but this can be done in settings) which requires some different navigation moves than what someone who can see the screen would use. But I've never tried to use my ipad or phone to browse the internet, just for the apps.

You reminded me of a passage of a movie I love so much, actually might be my actual favorite movie, Night on Earth by Jim Jarmusch. Watch at least the Paris parts, it's the third, I'm sure you'll love and probably understand it better than anyone else.