Stranger Things

Tools    

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I liked all the seasons. It's just that my leaning seems to line up with everything I've read. "First season was lightning in a bottle. Cute kids, nostalgia, monsters. 2nd season was a rush job. 3rd season got a lot of stuff, but nothing really happened...again.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I'm not saying they're bad, they've just taken a wild turn since season 1. Which is your favorite season?
Season 2 is the freshest and most tight from a structural standpoint. But I'd honestly put them all on par with each other.

I liked 2 despite people hating it apparently. The misstep they had was the order of the outlier episode. It should have been episode 9. Have 11 show up at the door saving everyone and looking strange, then we go back and see why.

Suspect's Reviews

A bucket of anxiety
Season 2 is the freshest and most tight from a structural standpoint. But I'd honestly put them all on par with each other.

I liked 2 despite people hating it apparently. The misstep they had was the order of the outlier episode. It should have been episode 9. Have 11 show up at the door saving everyone and looking strange, then we go back and see why.
I also like season 2. There was still an array of mystery and I actually enjoyed the filler episode.

I like them all, and I don't think the quality has varied much. S1 is the best, but not by a lot. The mall was a great idea for S3. Admittedly, there's a formulaic quality to it all, but that's fine. When the characters are likable and the show is appropriately funny and well-made, it's perfectly fine not to be especially surprised or nervous (though you still can be, potentially), if the appeal of the show is "I get to spend time with these fictional personalities I really like."

I know this show isn't usually going to surprise or shock me, but I also know it's always going to be Pretty Good, and worth my time. That's valuable, too. Sometimes I want a challenging and surprising drama, and sometimes I want something familiar and pleasant, so I'm glad shows like this exist, when I want to enjoy something without the kind of intensity that great shows and prestige dramas require to get the most out of.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Yeah. I kinda think it's nearly unavoidable to enjoy a first season of any show more than following seasons. Especially with more novel stories such as Stranger Things. Of course there are exceptions, but this one hit a lot of nice and unexpected points.

It's very difficult to be as pleasantly surprised hearing the nostalgic dark synth arpeggios of the first title crawl after 5 or so episodes. Or discovering characters in a Goonie-like connection as opposed to then having to live with them over an investment of time. The shine always wears off as it becomes familiar where as the initial discovery is always something new and unknown. That may be more a fault of learned behavioral expectations of new, short lived pleasures than a fault of a show. Investment sucks when that first sugar high is so much tastier. I guess.

I'm pretty sure I've made harsh criticism of following seasons too though. But generally speaking, I think what I'm getting at is unavoidable.

That's why you have Umbrella Academy and Locke and Key . It's new AND shiny!

Over two years since any posts. Basically before the world turned into the Upside-down.

May 27th and July 1st are the dates for the new season, split in half.

Great trailer. The cheese is turned up to 11 and limburger which I’m down with. Then again, s3 trailer was amazing and that turned out…I’m the same guy with falls in love with the FnF trailer and reminds himself how after the last one he wasn’t watching them anymore.

My only nit (and it’s not, but I’m not just gonna gush) is Zombieface and the bats and the old house in the woods Universal Monsters feel. And he talks. Because we have to explain stuff.

Who’s that playing the epic guitar solo? 👀 Pretty sure we know

I feel like this season would be so cool because of how Season 3 ended, along with the fact that Robert Englund is going to be in it. Can't wait!

You ready? You look ready.
If I had a dime for every time I heard/saw "every ending has a beginning" I could have retired years ago.

"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

All hail Pa’pah’s wig!

Whether it’s the 3 years or untold millions…first two eps were on fire. Teen angst stuff and they seem to have turned up the scary/unsettling stuff. So far, so great!

It's very difficult to be as pleasantly surprised hearing the nostalgic dark synth arpeggios of the first title crawl after 5 or so episodes.
Probably the only show I don’t “skip intro”. Really puts me in the mind state that some unreal crazy is getting ready to start. Plus the the little touches they put on the letters forming is something I’ve picked up on and enjoy.

GoT intro is probably the only thing close, but I appreciate the brevity of the ST intro.

i dont like the series but loved the music
That's pretty much my take. Boy, there's a lot of directions the series could have taken. If the first ep is any indication, the direction chosen is not for me nor my wife.

It's going to be like a paraphrase of the old comment about a book: "Put it down, couldn't pick it up"...

Is there any consensus that the series gets better? [Disclaimer: I'm not a horror fan.]

Instead we started The Lincoln Lawyer series, which is a little more my fare.

It’s definitely not for you. Horror is not something I really seek out and season 4 seems to have turned that dial up enough to make me uncomfortable in parts.

That's pretty much my take. Boy, there's a lot of directions the series could have taken. If the first ep is any indication, the direction chosen is not for me nor my wife.

It's going to be like a paraphrase of the old comment about a book: "Put it down, couldn't pick it up"...

Is there any consensus that the series gets better? [Disclaimer: I'm not a horror fan.]

Instead we started The Lincoln Lawyer series, which is a little more my fare.
the one with matthew mcconaughey?