The Comic Book Tab

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Currently:

Madame Mirage - Volume 1

Um, Mikey, now that you're officially an old man, shouldn't you, you know, lay off the comics and switch to something more elderly people appropriate...like checkers and bingo?

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Batman: Dark Victory. - I loved this. Its a sequel to Batman: the Long Halloween and is in the same timeline as Frank Miller and David Mazzucelli's Batman Year One. Batman has to hunt down a serial killer called the Hang Man, as well as track down his most infamous enemies who have escaped from the asylum. Awesome stuff.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Welcome to the human race...
Recently finished off volume 3 of Y and made it halfway through 4. Reading comics for free can be so trying.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Welp, forgot to post here my latest book purchases;

City of Dust #1 of 4?

Art's great, writing's great, everythings just great.

Punisher #47, 48, and 49 ( the rest of Widowmaker)

Had to finish off Widowmaker, and it just got worse. #49 went by too fast (review coming after Barracuda)

Stephen King's The Stand: Captain Trips #2 (part 2 of 5)

Haven't read yet, but plan too right after this post. I know it'll be great, but how great is the question.

March on Ultimatum Saga (one shot free-bee.)

Yeah! I love free-bees, didn't read Ultimatum, but I'll give this one a go

The Boys #23 (We Gotta Go Now part 1 of ?)

More for posterity and to push my limits to see what my mom would get me. Joe also said he's probably never sell it to me, haha beat you. I also needs my Ennis fill.

Greatest Hits #1 (Come Together pt. 1 of 6)

Art looks great. Missed it when it first came out, but bought it now. Will read after post.

Deadpool #3 (One of Us pt. 3 of 5?)

Deadpool is freakin hilarious! I love this book. Get it quick.

The Ice Wanderer And Other Stories by Taniguchi, Jiro.

6 shorts stories about surviving in and learning to respect wildness. Appropriately, one of the stories is framed as a "rediscovered" autobiographical story by Jack London and another is a partial adaptation of White Fang. Taniguchi makes some great action scenes and has a precise touch for visual continuity, which is the real star of this manga.

Most of the stories are pretty standard paeans to the simultaneous beauty and danger of wildlife, though I have to admit I got choked up a few times, particularly in one story involving a vicious bear, an aging hunter, and his self-sacrificing dog.

That said, the two best stories in the volume are both nostalgia-tinted domestic scenes.

Trying to read that Kanji on the cover...

Clearly, I am terrible with Kanji! I even have my guide here with me! Two of the characters have me stumped...

It's just the original Japanese title, which is directly translated into "Ice Wanderer".

The four Kanji make up two compound-words, so it should be enough to just find the first character and then sort through the list of compounds for each. I'm guessing it's the first character in each word that's giving you trouble (?) Together they read

凍土 - toudo (literally "frozen earth [soil]"), and 旅人 - tabibito ("wanderer", "traveler").

If, like me, you're using a dictionary that sorts characters by radical and then stroke count, starting at the left you'd break them into their first elements at 2 and 4 strokes, respectively.

Welp, forgot to post here my latest book purchases;

Stephen King's The Stand: Captain Trips #2 (part 2 of 5)

Haven't read yet, but plan too right after this post. I know it'll be great, but how great is the question.

Deadpool #3 (One of Us pt. 3 of 5?)

Deadpool is freakin hilarious! I love this book. Get it quick.
Yeah, I like Deadpool a lot. I will be interested in hearing your opinion on The Stand in comic form, as it is such a great book. Also, speaking of King, have you read The Dark Tower series? The graphic novels are pretty good....

Yeah, I like Deadpool a lot. I will be interested in hearing your opinion on The Stand in comic form, as it is such a great book. Also, speaking of King, have you read The Dark Tower series? The graphic novels are pretty good....
K, I'll re-read and re-review/review the series again.

It's just the original Japanese title, which is directly translated into "Ice Wanderer".

The four Kanji make up two compound-words, so it should be enough to just find the first character and then sort through the list of compounds for each. I'm guessing it's the first character in each word that's giving you trouble (?) Together they read

凍土 - toudo (literally "frozen earth [soil]"), and 旅人 - tabibito ("wanderer", "traveler").

If, like me, you're using a dictionary that sorts characters by radical and then stroke count, starting at the left you'd break them into their first elements at 2 and 4 strokes, respectively.
I have a mnemonic kanji book in my pack today, which is cool in some cases, but terrible in others. I recognized the particle 'no' immediately from the Hiragana, which I know pretty well, and the earth/soil Kanji popped out at me as well, as that stuff (Sun, Earth etc) is pretty early in the guide. Although, I actually thought it meant 'stop' at first glance, as the Kanji for stop is somewhat similar, and I have almost no kanji skills.

I have very limited Japanese writing skills, with my speaking skill being just a bit better.

I hope to gain more writing skill soon. Kanji is tough, though.

Batman Confidential #22 The Joker Goes to Jail (You Have the Right to Remain Silent pt. 1 of ?)

Been meaning to get into a Batman book, and R.I.P looks a bit too complicated to join in the middle of.

Greatest Hits #2: A Day in the Life

Greatest Hits is good, and I wanna see how the new guy does.

Daredevil #112 (Lady Bullseye pt. 2 of 4?)

Can't read yet, trying to find #111 and I need more Ed fill.

Ghost Rider #28 (Last Stand of the Spirits of Vengeance pt. 1 of 5?)

Best book I'm not reading? I'll find out.

Criminal vol. 2 #6 (One Bad Night pt. 3 of 4)

I love Criminal and needed more Ed.

Unknown Soldier #1 (Haunted House chp. 1)

Not sure about this one, but Garth Ennis endorses it.

Trying to find some good manga for my friend to read and in the process checking out some of the stuff that's been published in the last couple years since I went cold turkey on comics. This is a "classic" of the gekiga genre (not really a genre so much as a movement covering then unconventional approaches to conventional genres as well as "avant garde" comics, basically anything that would have been considered outside/edgy/gritty/real-life/surreal/sophisticated in comparison to most mainstream Japanese comics in the late 60s/early 70s. This one definitely falls more in the avant garde category than Sampei Shirato's classic ninja tale, Kamui-den, but is both more personal and scrutable than its antecedent, Yoshiharu Tsuge's short story Nejishiki (Screw Style).

Red Colored Elegy tells a story of messy, half-expressed yearnings (yearning for love, yearning for success, yearning to make art) of two young people in the early 70s. Not much to say about the story/characters as such, just that some of it was pretty affecting for me while other parts just left me cold/unresponsive. Seiichi Hayashi's artwork is excellent though, and it takes about a half-hour to get through its 230+ pages of story, yet doesn't feel short (which is a good thing), just a little incomplete. Incomplete people, incomplete art, incomplete story. Not sure if it's worth the $24 price tag, but if you happen to see it on a shelf definitely pull it down and flip through it.

I'm done reading the Watchmen and have moved on to Ex-Machina:

It's from the same dude that wrote Y - The last man. It's not exactly on the same level, but it's still funny and smart and pro-gay, so yay! (Is it wrong to think a comic book character is hot? *concerned*)

Oh and I've given Criminal a go Len, but found it to mundane. Plus the artwork isn't very good. :\

Oh and I've given Criminal a go Len, but found it to mundane. Plus the artwork isn't very good. :\
Hmm, what issues are you reading? Because if it is Coward (#1 - 5) then I know it gets off to a pretty slow start, but go to at least after the heist till you give the book up.

As for the art, I like it, it is very noir-ish. Even if the shadows are a bit over-used.