Roman Polanski appreciation thread

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
Thanks for that, HP.

I own a lot of Polanski's work (even picked up The Ninth Gate in a sale a while back but it didn't survive my recent DVD cull) but haven't seen the documentray you namechecked. I must track it down.

I'm probably abnormal in that I'd place The Tenant very high in his filmography. As unsettling apartment flicks go, I've always found it more satisfying than Rosemary's Baby.

The first Polanski film I remember watching was his take on Macbeth, in a classroom sometime between 1988 and 1989. Even though my English teacher was a daffy old mare who lost my GCSE coursework she chose to show us that film instead of dozens of dry traditional versions of the play (and followed it up with Jarman's The Tempest). I liked that.

There's a shocker.

But thanks for checking into the appreciation thread with your total lack of appreciation. It has been duly noted.
Oh my! My opinion has been dismissed because it doesn't agree with Pike's. Now there's a real shocker! I would have thought you and Polanski were secure enough to endure discussions that are con as well as pro.

Good read. Magnificent work, Holden.

Polanski's filmography is a mercurial body of work. Chinatown and Rosemary's Baby are two of my favourites but as you have mentioned Holden, there are a few duds in there.

Great work Holden

Well here's how I'd rank the little of what I've seen of my all time favorite director. I haven't seen to many but he's the only director I've given multiple 5 star rating all of them in my top 10. I put his personal life aside and just enjoy his films.

1. The Pianist-

One of the only two movies I've cried in. It was emotional and beautiful. Polanski has always been great of showing all the violence and humiliation.
2. Chinatown-

The most dialogue rich film I've seen. Awesome plot and twists, perfectly written.
3. Rosemary's Baby-

One of the creepiest films I've seen and most thought provoking. Mia Farrow put on a perfect performance.
4. Cul-De-Sac-

Unique and a hole lot of fun. Interesting character relationships and great dark humor
5. Oliver Twist

The first film I've seen of his, a bit bland but well made.
6. Carnage

A bit annyoing, the premise was fun. They tied in political humor well into the situation. Just didn't fufill my expectations
7. Fearless Vampire Killers

Yaaaaaaawwwnnn

Short films (I'll be reviewing these in Movie Tab in a few days)
Mammals-

Two men and a wardrobe-

Woot! my 1000th post is in a Polanski thread

Funny how this pops up a few hours after I finish Chinatown. There's nothing new I could possibly say after Holden's fantastic write-up, but, yeah. Just... yeah. HELL yeah.

I also love The Pianist and Carnage.

Semper Fooey
I am not a big fan.

He did good with Chinatown.

The problem with Rosemary's Baby is the novel. It is a dumb story. But considering what he had to work with, he did a professional job turning the novel into a movie.

Must be doin sumthin right
All-time great

Knife in the Water
+
Repulsion
+
Cul-de-sac
+
Rosemary's Baby

Macbeth
+
Chinatown
+
Frantic
+
The Ninth Gate
+
The Pianist

The Ghost Writer

Carnage

I've seen Fearless Vampire Killers and The Tenant, but don't remember them well enough to rate

Appreciation thread? For a pedophile and a racist? I don't think so.
1) Missing the point, he's a film legend
2) EDIT: Sex was forgiven according to the victim
3) Since when is he racist?

Okay....Roman Polanski appreciation thread

Appreciation thread? For a pedophile and a racist? I don't think so.
A racist?
And so what were appreciating his filmography. He makes damn good movies regardless of that one incident, which is an arguable case.

A racist?
And so what were appreciating his filmography. He makes damn good movies regardless of that one incident, which is an arguable case.
http://www.radaronline.com/exclusive...is-rape-victim

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...8#.UDP4pN1lRcQ

http://www.x17online.com/celebrities...ad_between.php

Semper Fooey
1) Missing the point, he's a film legend
2) Sex was consensual according to the victim
3) Since when is he racist?
She said it wasn't, but she forgives him.

He said it was consensual.

According to that second link, he served jail time and community service. You're not helping your case.

No one has said it's cool that he did it btw.
btw...personally if it was my daughter I would be serving life sentence!

She said it wasn't, but she forgives him.

He said it was consensual.
Ah, it was Debra, not Samantha, my bad. Though, in double checking that I did find an interesting video of Samantha

http://richardbrenneman.wordpress.co...oman-polanski/

In a letter addressing similar things, she said that the "publicity surrounding it was so traumatic that what he did to me seemed to pale in comparison."

Interesting. Anyhoo. Movies anyone?

Where's the video?

Mate is doesn't play for me at all! Anyway! He's guilty, whatever people say! I really don't care!