Roman Polanski appreciation thread

Tools    

I don't believe we've ever had a thread dedicated specifically to Polanski. The mere mention of his name can't help but illicit controversy. Not so much for his body of work, which is impressive and lasting and includes an Oscar for Best Director, but because of his off-screen life. Some of this is by his own doing, and some just horrible fate. But as a filmmaker he is one of the best of his generation, and even his duds - and there are certainly a few of those - usually hold at least something of interest. If you can separate the art from the artist, you are in for a ride when you examine his filmography.

The events that shaped how Polanski sees the world started long before he ever picked up a camera of course. His parents were Polish, father Jewish and mother Roman Catholic, who unluckily returned to Poland from Paris in the late '30s with young Roman in tow, just ahead of the Nazis and the start of World War II. Both of his parents were taken to Concentration Camps and his mother did not survive. Miraculously a pre-teen Roman managed to escape the ghetto and the trains and evade capture, staying with various Catholic families along the way. In 1945 he was reunited with his father. Even in the post-war Communist Poland, young Roman already had an interest in films, having first been entranced by Disney's classic Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

In the 1950s he appeared as an actor in several Polish films including Andrzej Wajda's A Generation (1955) before studying at the Łódź Film School. In the late '50s the Łódź school became a bit of a cultural oasis in the Republic, full of teachers and students not supported or necessarily approved by the Communists. Polanski flourished in that environment and many of his shorts produced during this time are quite good and showcase his dark sense of humor and impressive imagery. For those of you in the U.S., eight of his student shorts are collected on the bonus disc of the Criterion Collection edition of Knife in the Water, including Dwaj ludzie z Szafa - Two Men and a Wardrobe, Le Gros et le Maigre - The Fat and the Lean and Ssaki - Mammals. Many are surreal and Beckett-like, but looking back at them now you can definitely see the seeds of Polanski's talents.

While some of the shorts started generating notice outside of Poland, it was his first feature, Nóz w Wodzie - Knife in the Water (1962), that lead to worldwide acclaim. A psychological thriller about sexual dynamics, it begins as a writer and his wife pick up a young hitchhiker. He accompanies them on the yacht and soon the two men are playing macho games to impress the bikini-clad woman. Lots of tension but almost no real physical violence as Polanski, who co-wrote the script, keeps subverting the Hitchcockian audience expectations. It's a well-made piece with Roman's visual flair, a very strong debut. It was so acclaimed it even garnered Roman his first Oscar nomination when it competed for Best Foreign Language Film...though it ultimately lost to Fellini's .

After Knife in the Water Roman chose to leave Poland for France (where he was actually born). Even with the success of his first feature it wasn't easy going in Paris, but he befriended a young writer, Gérard Brach, and together they got two movies made in the U.K., Repulsion (1964) and Cul-de-Sac (1965). Both are great movies and you can see Polanski the filmmaker growing by cinematic leaps and bounds. Repulsion, starring the beautiful Catherine Deneuve, is a piece of psycho-sexual terror as a repressed and sheltered woman left in an apartment by herself descends into madness and disturbing fantasies, almost entirely from the cracked woman's point-of-view. Cul-de-Sac is even more bizarre and I love it. Lionel Stander and Jack MacGowran play a gangster and his wounded accomplice hiding from the cops when they come across an isolated little castle on the sea. It's owner is a meek and eccentric man (Donald Pleasence at his most brilliant) and his eagerly sexual French wife (Françoise Dorléac). At first the couple wants nothing to do with these men, but soon these unexpected guests are part of games they did not anticipate and it's not the men with the guns who have the upper hand. Takes all of the themes and techniques of Polanski's previous work for one heck of a weird, darkly hilarious trip.

These two films didn't get any Oscar nominations, but he won a special jury prize at the Berlin Film Festival for Repulsion and the prestigious Golden Bear there the following year for Cul-de-Sac.

His next film is a lot of fun and his first to be partially financed in America. It's the satirical Dance of the Vampires or, as it was known in the U.S., The Fearless Vampire Killers or: Pardon Me, But Your Teeth Are in My Neck (1967). In addition to co-writing with Gérard Brach and directing, Polanski also co-stars in the film. It's a parody of Dracula movies that plays stone-faced straight most of the time and its tone is far from the Mel Brooks or early Woody Allen brand of spoof. The film was taken from him and heavily re-cut in the original U.S. screenings, butchered so much that Polanski disowned that version completely. But while this subtle farce didn't make him a star in mainstream America, it did land him an American wife.

Polanski wanted Jill St. John for the lead in Fearless Vampire Killers, but the producers persuaded him to hire an up-and-coming beauty named Sharon Tate. Both later admitted there wasn't much initial chemistry between them, but they quickly became lovers, and then married in early 1968. Polanski's next movie was to be his first bonafide Hollywood production, adapted from a best selling novel. He secretly wanted his new love to star in it, but because it was such a tough role he never brought it up, and perhaps because of her inexperience the Studio never suggested it, either, and so it was Mia Farrow who would star in Rosemary's Baby (1968)...after Tuesday Weld and Jane Fonda, among others, passed on the project.

A macabre masterpiece of modern paranoia and horror with a supporting cast full of a few generations of character actors used ingeniously and against type, including the delicious Ruth Gordon, Ralph Bellamy, Elisha Cook Jr. and relative newcomers such as Charles Grodin and the burgeoning independent director John Cassavetes, Polanski created a sensation. He uses all of his tricks and few new ones to create a palpable sense of dread and foreboding, all leading to a dynamite finale that is both starting yet inevitable and doesn't have one single effects shot or choreographed piece of exciting action to help it along. Chilling, creepy, disturbing and perfect. It was a boxoffice hit and managed two Oscar nominations, for Ruth Gordon as Best Supporting Actress and Polanski for his adapted screenplay. Gordon won but Polanski lost out to James Goldman and The Lion in Winter. Never the less, Polanski was a hot Hollywood commodity now with a young, beautiful wife and a baby on the way. Not bad for a Polish immigrant who survived the Nazis. Everything was seemingly going his way.

CONTINUED...
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	smiling couple.jpg
Views:	11068
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	15199  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Great beginning, Holds. As usual, it's very thorough and thoughtful. I love Polanski, but I have a weird relationship towards what I consider his most personal films. Now, it's not for me to say that Repulsion or Cul-de-Sac are more personal to Polanski than Rosemary's Baby, but Polanski is a director who I find to be able to make films which are, at times, strongly plot-driven and the others are much-more avant-garde and internalized visions of the characters. I don't want to jump ahead of anything you post in here, but Rosemary's Baby is my second favorite horror film (just after The Innocents), and it's wonderful in every regard. At another site, someone mentioned how it seems dated and hokey nowadays, and even though I rarely ever agreed with this person's opinions on movies, instead of posting a pointless rebuttal, I just decided to stop posting there.

My next favorite of his early features is his vampire opus, but that's probably because I love Jack MacGowran, Ferdy Mayne, Polanski and Sharon Tate in that film. It really is a bonafide horror movie with some good shocks, but some scenes and lines are still laugh-out-loud funny. I enjoy all of Polanski's films since they all contain original technique and are quite cohesive thematically. It's just that you know me; I'm more impressed when he can combine offbeat, original technique onto a strong plot than I am when he's flying blind into new territory. I can understand the attraction others have to the latter-type movies, of which Repulsion is one of the ultimate, and I'm attracted too, but a little of it goes a long way.

Anyway, great thread, and I await your multiple followups, and I hope I don't denigrate this thread by posting in here.

In early August of 1969, Sharon Tate was at her and Roman's home outside of Hollywood, a house in Benedict Canyon previously occupied by their friend, actress Candice Bergen. Sharon was VERY pregnant, only a couple weeks away from her due date, and unable to travel with Roman who was in London preparing his next project, Day of the Dolphin. On the night of August 8th or early in the morning hours of the 9th, 1969, Tate and a few of her friends that were staying over, as well as the housekeeper, were savagely murdered, all stabbed many multiple times. Sharon was stabbed at least sixteen times, any number of which would have been fatal in and of themselves. Of course her unborn child died that night as well. The crime is still shocking and disgusting today, so imagine the horror Polanski faced when he rushed home from overseas. While there were a couple early suspects, the police had no solid leads and, in depths of depression and paranoia, Polanski later admitted he even began to suspect friends and associates of perpetrating the bloody executions. I'm not going to go into the whole bloody history, but I'm sure you all know Charles Manson and a few of his followers were eventually arrested and convicted of the slayings there, as well as at the home of Rosemary and Leno LaBianca later on the night of August 9th in their Hollywood home, together one of the most infamous crimes in California history.

Polanski took some heat during this crisis as well. After letting LIFE Magazine photograph him in the bloody living room where Sharon was found, he drew a lot of criticism, though he argued he was doing anything he could to get information from the public to help bring the killers to justice. There were also rumblings from some nutjobs that Polanski brought the tragedy on himself with his "pro-Satan" movie Rosemary's Baby. Whatever the public perceptions or misperceptions of Polanski were, friends attest that he was emotionally devastated by the murders, and that he and Sharon had a very real and special love for one another.

Roman got rid of all of their possessions in the wake of the crime, as they reminded him too much of the good times that had been snatched from him. He basically stayed in town through the long trial, though afterward he spent less and less time in Los Angeles or America at all, and returned to Europe. It wasn't until 1971 that he made another movie, a gory, grisly take on Shakespeare's Tragedy of Macbeth (1971). While Polanski already had a very dark sensibility before the murders, it's clear from Macbeth that he was now even more pessimistic, even more infatuated by terror, and while Rosemary's Baby is almost bloodless, this movie has much Kensigton gore. Many have argued that Polanski's Macbeth is too violent, certainly bloodier than the stage direction or most productions ever create, but given his state of mind, how could he make anything else as his first film back?

His next film returned him to Hollywood and big budget filmmaking, and though less bloody than Macbeth it is even darker, in many ways. Chinatown (1974) is a '30s period story about jaded private eye and ex-cop, J.J. Gittes (Jack Nicholson), who is hired to get pictures of a cheating husband and instead winds up deep inside political corruption and some of the darkest, most repugnant personal atrocities one can imagine. Pessimistic to the Nth degree, this portrait of the evil men do received eleven Oscar nominations, including Best Picture and Best Director, though the only one it managed to win was Best Original Screenplay for Robert Towne's brilliant script. It was a dark story to begin with, made even darker when Polanski gave absolutely nobody a happy ending, altering Towne's conclusion for one that sees the bad guy not only get away with it, but snare another innocent for his perversions, with Jake only a helpless witness.

It can be a tough movie to take, even today, but it is Polanski's masterpiece, perfectly crafted in every way.

CONTINUED...

Originally Posted by mark f
Anyway, great thread, and I await your multiple followups, and I hope I don't denigrate this thread by posting in here.
Nope, no problem at all. I hope to get to the rest of his career and the incident that has kept him from returning to American shores later tonight.

Also one of the reasons I'm finally getting around to a Polanski thread - I mean of course he's one of my favorite filmmakers and Chinatown is my number one favorite movie of all time - is because tomorrow night on HBO, 9:00PMEST/6:00PMPST, is the premiere of the new documentary Roman Polanski: Wanted & Desired, which played at the Sundance Film Festival earlier this year. It looks at the rape trial, its contexts and repercussions. Haven't seen it yet myself, so I'm looking forward to it.

An interview with the documentarian can be found HERE.

Attachments

Name:	wanted.jpg
Views:	6434
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	15200  

Well, since you hit upon two of my fave Polanski films in your last post, I want to go a little bit into those too. Polanski's (and executive producer Hugh Hefner's!!) Macbeth is an awesome film. True, it's probably the most violent Shakespeare film (even moreso than Titus), but it's also the most cinematic. You can tell from almost every image how obsessed Polanski is with telling a tragedy as graphically as possible. The film is an amazing combo of beautiful cinematography, a series of almost surreal, subliminal imagery and some of Shakespere's greatest dialogue. The acting is uniformly superb, and the Third Ear Band's score is genius. No, it's not a perfect film, but it's pretty close to perfection, especially the final confrontation between Macbeth and Macduff.

Chinatown is probably too complex to even try to discuss in slight terms, but I'd like to mention how much I love John A. Alonzo's cinematography, Jerry Goldsmith's music, Richard Sylbert's production design, Sam O'Steen's editing, Anthea Sylbert's costumes, and all the other technical credits. It's very difficult for me to believe that Chinatown received only one Oscar, but apparently the Academy was trying to pay back Coppola for all the losses he garnered (rightfully in my mind) for The Godfather vis-a-vis Cabaret. I also preferred Chinatown to The Godfather Part II and was pretty much in a state of shock when Chinatown lost so many Oscars it was up for.

I am Jack's sense of overused quote
Polanski's Macbeth is my favorite Shakespearean film adaptation (except for West Side Story--which is its own case). Bloody and brilliant, it captured the spirit of Shakespeare's original.

Nice thread Holden. Do you know when the documentary will become available on DVD?

A system of cells interlinked
Great thread, yet again, from the man Mr. Pike.

Chinatown is in my top 3 favorite films of all time. I agree that it is just about as close to a perfect film as you can get...

I never cared for Polanski even before he fled criminal prosecution in this country. I'm probably the only person in the world who admits to being bored, bored, bored by the slow-moving Rosemary's Baby and Chinatown. I couldn't find anyone to root for or who engaged my interest in either film. Best thing I can say about Chinatown is that the Two Jakes sequel was even worse. I've never been able to sit through Cul-de-Sac, either, and that silly vampire flick, Sharon Tate's only other claim to fame, was more horrible than horror. A lot of foks think he's the berries, but there's something about Polanki's work just makes me want to go take a shower after the first reel or two.

Originally Posted by rufnek
I never cared for Polanski even before he fled criminal prosecution in this country. I'm probably the only person in the world who admits to being bored, bored, bored by the slow-moving Rosemary's Baby and Chinatown. I couldn't find anyone to root for or who engaged my interest in either film. Best thing I can say about Chinatown is that the Two Jakes sequel was even worse. I've never been able to sit through Cul-de-Sac, either, and that silly vampire flick, Sharon Tate's only other claim to fame, was more horrible than horror. A lot of [folks] think he's the berries, but there's something about [Polanski's] work just makes me want to go take a shower after the first reel or two.
There's a shocker.

But thanks for checking into the appreciation thread with your total lack of appreciation. It has been duly noted.

I loved it when I finally got to see Rosemary's Baby. That was just last year.

I also love Chinatown, but I had no clue it had a sequel. I've heard that title before, The Two Jakes, but that's all. I've not seen it yet.

There is a sequel to Rosemary's Baby called Look What's Happened to Rosemary's Baby (1976) (TV) aka "Rosemary's Baby II" It would also appear that they are remaking Rosemary's Baby in 2010. I'm really tired of that.

So, I just read through his list, and I haven't seen many of his movies. Out of his directors list, I have . . .

The Pianist (2002)
Frantic (1988)
Chinatown (1974)
Rosemary's Baby (1968)

I'm going to check on these, because they sound really good . . .

The Ninth Gate (1999)
Death and the Maiden (1994)
Bitter Moon (1992)
Tess (1979)
Locataire, Le (1976)
Dance of the Vampires (1967)
Cul-de-sac (1966)
Repulsion (1965)

The Ninth Gate sounds the least interesting of the bunch, but I will still give it a try.

I love Cul-de-Sac.
I think it's woth mentioning that Francoise Dorleac was the elder sister of Catherine Deneuve.

For you, Ðèstîñy, you should definitely watch Tess.

That's one of his five best films, but I believe that Macbeth is also one of his five best. What's scaring you off? The perceived violence or Shakespeare?

I'm also pretty sure that you'll like The Ninth Gate.

After the success of Chinatown, Polanski decided to go back to France for his next project. The Tenant (1976) is a strange piece loosely aligned with Repulsion and Rosemary's Baby, making a so-called "Apartment Trilogy". Polanski stars this time as a short Polish man with French citizenship who has heard of a vacant apartment in Paris. The owner of the building, the concierge, and other tenants seem to be arch weirdos, and the woman who previously lived in the apartment recently committed suicide by leaping out of the window...but he takes the apartment, anyway. He starts seeing things, people make odd complaints about him, he becomes suspicious of virtually everybody, and begins to feel like they are trying to turn him into the suicidal woman. It's a tone piece that's a bit of a step backward after Chinatown. To me it feels like Polanski self-consciously making a pale Polanski-ish film. Veteran actors Shelley Winters and Melvyn Douglas get to have a bit of fun in their small roles, and Isabelle Adjani is always welcome and easy on the eyes, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of inspiration in it, to me. Roman is actually quite good in the lead, but the overall film is minor Polanski, in my book.

In the years since Sharon's murder, Polanski had become a known womanizer. It certainly wasn't unusual for the Hollywood of the early '70s. But Roman also had an attraction to younger girls. Sometimes much younger. In 1975 he took sexy photos of, and then started a brief love affair with, Nastassja Kinski, then fifteen-years-old. This took place in Europe and was accepted as some level of normal. In 1977 he had a couple photo shoots with a thirteen-year-old California girl, the second of which took place at Jack Nicholson's house (Jack was out of town). It turned sexual. The next day the girl charged Polanski with rape. I'm not going to go into all the sordid details of this one either, but the documentary I mentioned above, Roman Polanski: Wanted & Desired, covers it all very thoroughly, including the media circus that resulted.

Even those with only passing familiarity with the scandal will know it ended with Polanski fleeing the country before sentencing, never to return to America. This is factual, but it doesn't begin to tell the whole story. The documentary also covers very well the inconsistency of the media-hungry judge in the case, and even the prosecutor of the case admits he understands why Roman chose to leave rather than deal with it, at the time. It doesn't excuse or absolve what he did, at all, but the subsequent trial was hardly fair or impartial by any standard we'd care to honor. Polanski's defense attorney and that prosecutor petitioned to finally clear the matter up in the late 1990s, and while it was agreed to in principle and it would have resulted in zero jail time, it also would have been a public and potentially televised hearing...so Polanski declined. Technically the matter is still unresolved and Roman, hasn't ever returned to the U.S. I'm certainly not condoning what he did in any way, the disgustingness of the crime speaks for itself, but the victim has come to terms with it and even publicly forgiven him, for whatever that is worth?

When Polanski returned to work, it was a project that Sharon Tate had urged him to do more than a decade before: an adaptation of Thomas Hardy's Tess of the d'Urbervilles. Casting Nastassja Kinski, now twenty, in the lead role and filming in England, it's a marvelous adaptation, definitely among his best work. The tale of a young girl sent to live with distant wealthy relations who no longer exist, and the paths that her desirability lead her down, ultimately finding both love and tragedy. It has a dark last act, and Tess is put through the ringer throughout, but it's a more mature film, and a period literary adaptation is not material that on the surface would seem to suit Polanski's skills. But Polanski the filmmaker shines, and if anyone wondered if the sex scandal would end his career or distract from his filmmaking, Tess (1980) is proof of his true talent. It is dedicated simply "To Sharon".

Tess was nominated for six Oscars including Best Picture and Best Director, the year that Ordinary People and Robert Redford took those top honors. Tess did win three Academy Awards on the technical side for its brilliant cinematography (the great Geoffrey Unsworth died during the production), its Art Direction and the Costume Design.

If Tess was a affirmation of his standing as one of cinema's great filmmakers, his next project was a disaster that made everyone wonder where it all went wrong. Sometime after Chinatown and before the rape trial, Polanski had started thinking about an old-style swashbuckling comedy starring Jack Nicholson and co-starring Polanski himself. Called simply Pirates, it finally went into production in the mid-1980s, with Walter Matthau in the lead, and Roman staying behind the camera. Much of the production looks great - it even managed an Oscar nomination for Costume Design. But the resulting film is a mess, and worse it is mostly a bore. It tries to have fun with pirate movie clichés, but if you go in expecting to find a forerunner to Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl you are in for a crushing disappointment. More like Cutthroat Island, but minus the action setpieces.The budget got somewhere up around $40-million, and to put that in some kind of context, Back to the Future (1985) had a budget of about $19-million. When Pirates finally made it to U.S. screens in 1986, it didn't even make $2-million, total. It was a financial and critical embarrassment, and given the level of product you'd come to expect from Polanski at that point, I'd say it was all warranted venom and disappointment.

After the disaster of Pirates, the first real professional setback he had faced, Roman needed to reestablish himself in a hurry. He chose Frantic (1988). A somewhat staid Hitchcockian thriller set in Paris starring one of the biggest movie stars of the day, it was a competent if easy flick and it did erase some of the stain of Pirates. Harrison Ford stars as an American doctor just arrived in Paris with his wife. He goes to take a shower in their hotel room and when he emerges minutes later his wife has vanished without a trace. The French police and the U.S. embassy aren't much help and eventually he figures out that a luggage mix-up at the airport has him in possession of the MacGuffin and tangled up with the young girl (Emmanuelle Seigner) who was supposed to smuggle it into the country for some shady spy types. Not a masterpiece, but a solid genre flick.

That pretty French actress, Emmanuelle Seigner, was twenty-two at the time of Frantic. And she was Roman's lover. They were married the next year, when Polanski was fifty-six-years-old. They've had two children since, Morgane and Elvis, and are still married, to this day. So perhaps he finally found a bit of personal peace, after all?

Seigner would star in two of the three movies he made in the 1990s. Bitter Moon (1992) is an erotic thriller about a conservative British couple (Hugh Grant & Kristin Scott Thomas) who meet a seductive, adventurous couple (Peter Coyote and Seigner) on a cruise ship. It starts with the thrill of kinky, forbidden sex and spins out of control from there. Like Frantic it's not much of a challenge for Polanski, and it is well executed with some good moments, but it does nothing to expand Roman's cinematic canvas. The other film to co-star his wife is The Ninth Gate (1999), another supernatural tale this time headlined by Johnny Depp as a dealer of rare books who becomes involved in tracking down mysterious volumes supposedly imbued with the power of The Devil himself. I find this one fairly interesting for about the first half, but it never pays off for me, degenerating into paint-by-numbers genre stuff, and unlike the quiet power of Rosemary's finale, this one goes heavy for the FX...to a much lesser effect, for my money.

CONTINUED...
Attachments

Name:	the girl.jpg
Views:	9142
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	15203   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pirates.jpg
Views:	6744
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	15204  

The only other movie Polanski made in the 1990s is another of my favorites: Death and the Maiden (1994). Adapted from Chilean author Ariel Dorfman's play, it's set in an unnamed South or Central American country sometime after a tyrannical government has been removed. A motorist (Ben Kingsley) stranded in a storm happens upon an isolated house in the country. Bad luck for him, the woman of the house (Sigourney Weaver) believes she recognizes him as her torturer who systematically raped and brutalized her for months as a political prisoner. Since she was blindfolded during all of the sessions, her husband (Stuart Wilson) feels she can't be sure just going by voice and smell and mannerisms, and the man of course professes his innocence. But she's sure she has her man.

It somehow got ignored by the Academy (the year Forrest Gump and Pulp Fiction competed for the big awards), but I think it's one of the best films from the second half of Roman's career, and Kingsley and Weaver both give tour de force performances.

If Death and the Maiden was snubbed and Chinatown had the bad luck to be released the same year as The Godfather Part II, Polanski was about to get final redemption from the Academy voters. The Pianist (2002) tells the true story of Wladyslaw Szpilman (played by Adrien Brody). Szpilman was a young, gifted musician with a budding career in 1930s Warsaw, Poland. Unfortunately for him, he's also Jewish, and he can scarcely believe it when he and his entire family are rounded up by the occupying Nazis with the other Jews in town and herded into what would be known as the Ghetto, a walled-off section of the city where they were not allowed to leave. Eventually the Ghetto was emptied, and those who survived that far were forced onto trains headed for Concentration Camps. In a moment of pure dumb luck, Wladyslaw wandered away from the train that carted his family away and hid in the city. He found a small underground and was isolated in a couple of empty apartments, with almost no contact with anybody, precious little food, and the constant danger of discovery. His tale of survival is remarkable, and ultimately inspiring, as he is mostly a ghostly witness to the War and Holocaust going on so close to him, but removed by chance.

The scene where Szpilman walks away from the train is similar to the way a much younger Roman Polanski lucked into escape from the Concentration Camp that killed his mother. Even though it is another Survivor's biography, obviously it is a VERY personal story where Roman finally exorcizes some of the demons from his childhood, and the details of the Ghetto and the palpable fear of discovery are eerily authentic.

Even though it was an extremely well-reviewed and well-received film, it was a bit of a surprise when The Pianist was nominated for seven Oscars, including Best Picture, Best Actor, and Best Director. Given the competition from the splashy, successful Musical Chicago and Martin Scorsese's Gangs of New York, The Pianist was far from the favorite. But Adrien Brody was a shocker when he became the youngest man to ever win Best Actor, and an even bigger surprise came minutes later when Harrison Ford, the star of Frantic, opened the envelope and announced not Scorsese nor Rob Marshall nor even Pedro Almodóvar but Roman Polanski as Best Director. Chicago did get Best Picture, but Polanski was finally an Oscar winner. And deservedly so. Of course he was not in the auditorium that night in Los Angeles to accept the statue in person. The Oscars were the final awards it won that year, but the accolades started at Cannes where it won The Golden Palm, and continued to the Césars and the various critics prizes. But the Academy Award, that was the white whale it seemed the banished Polanski may never get.

Since The Pianist the only other feature he's finished this decade is Dickens' Oliver Twist, a work that has been adapted by a dozen others including David Lean in 1948. It's got nice detail and texture to it, but unlike Tess I don't think Polanski found enough to inject himself into, and while certainly good it is very straightforward and, ultimately, pretty forgettable. But perhaps at the age of seventy-five and after the years of security of happy family life and getting his vision of WWII on screen, it has finally mellowed Roman Polanski? Or perhaps it's just the calm before a new cinematic storm?

Attachments

Name:	Polanski rubble.png
Views:	7939
Size:	324.7 KB
ID:	15206  

The Pianist (2002)
Frantic (1988)
Chinatown (1974)
Rosemary's Baby (19680

i would add Repulsion and you've got his five essentials.

Alright, this is how I rate his filmography...

1. Chinatown
GRADE: A++
2. Rosemary's Baby
GRADE: A
3. Tess
4. The Pianist
5. Death and the Maiden
GRADE: A-
6. Repulsion
GRADE: B+
7. The Tragedy of Macbeth
8. The Ghost Writer
9. Cul-de-Sac
10. Carnage
GRADE: B
11. The Fearless Vampire Killers
GRADE: B
12. Knife in the Water
GRADE: B-
13. Frantic
GRADE: B-
14. Oliver Twist
GRADE: C+
15. Bitter Moon
GRADE: C+
16. The Tenant
GRADE: C
17. The Ninth Gate
GRADE: C
18. What?
GRADE: D+
19. Pirates
GRADE: D

*updated to include CARNAGE
Attachments

Name:	screenshot-med-14.jpg
Views:	6213
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	15205  

Thanks for that Holden, I enjoyed reading your precis of Polanski's career. I thought that he adapted the books Tess of the D'Urbervilles and The Pianist very well, and you can't say that too often. Tess is a gorgeous looking film and The Pianist doesn't stray far from Szpilman's original book which is a powerful read for anyone who's interested.

And besides appearing in some of his own films and even starring in a couple, Roman does take the occasional gig as actor in other filmmakers' projects. Even with starring in Fearless Vampire Killers and The Tenant, the most memorable role from his own films will forever remain "the midget" with the knife who cuts Nicholson's nosy private eye in Chinatown.

As for his work in others' movies, his best role by far is the Inspector interrogating Gérard Depardieu throughout Giuseppe Tornatore's Una Pura formalità - A Pure Formality (1994). He's perfectly cast in that one and he does very well matching cinematic chops with Depardieu. But it's not just international arthouse fare he'll show up in. He even has a cameo role in Rush Hour 3, of all things!

Attachments

Name:	Screenshot_2014-05-27-21-20-41.jpg
Views:	6182
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	15207