The MoFo Fine Art thread...

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by Piddzilla
That last one I really like, Sed... A bit spooky... What's the name of the artist?
Unknown....and I really love it too.... The site I found it on says it's Dali, but it isn't.... At least I have never seen it in his collections, and I have three or four extensive Dali books at home. The man was prolific, to be sure, but I am pretty sure it isn't him. If it is, it wouldn't be the first time a painting has surprised me by being his when I thought it wasn't....

Well....I just found another site (asian this time), that has this posted in their Dali section as well....It might just be his....

There are six or eight paintings I don't recognize on the site, so it very well could be his, and my Dali knowledge = ****.

A lot of great Dali on the site, check it out....

The People's Republic of Clogher
Two of my all-time favourite artists...

Lucien Freud

and Francis Bacon

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Sedai~ eeeYIKES. My first thought on seeing that is it's a memory of a girl he killed. Then it reminded me of Silence of the Lambs... "size 14? Perfect."

Tacitus~ those are both wonderful. Bacon was off his rocker, but I love his stuff. That one is considerably happier than the Screaming Popes series! And the face in the first one is great - so cool how much is indicated with fairly loose brushwork.

People in this thread have some pretty phenomenal taste!

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah

People in this thread have some pretty phenomenal taste!
ditto that!

Originally Posted by Tacitus
Two of my all-time favourite artists...

Lucien Freud

and Francis Bacon
i like them
i really love this portrait of Lucien Freud, it is Kate Moss when she was pregnant, i think it is totally fantastic

Originally Posted by criss
i like them
i really love this portrait of Lucien Freud, it is Kate Moss when she was pregnant, i think it is totally fantastic
I went to a Freud exhibition at Liverpool's Tate a few years back - it was mindblowing. He's such a human artist, painfully so at times.

that must had been great,i understand what you say, it is something totally different when you see good paintings in "real" life

Yup, art has to be seen up close - every swirl of the brush, every scratch of the knife.

I can remember when I was around 17, clueless about art and standing in front of a pretty minor Van Gogh painting at The Tate in London - we'd gone on a school trip and were doing the 'tourist' sites. I must have stood looking, staring for 20 minutes totally lost in the work...

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by Tacitus
Yup, art has to be seen up close - every swirl of the brush, every scratch of the knife.

I can remember when I was around 17, clueless about art and standing in front of a pretty minor Van Gogh painting at The Tate in London - we'd gone on a school trip and were doing the 'tourist' sites. I must have stood looking, staring for 20 minutes totally lost in the work...
Do you remember the name of the painting?

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
Do you remember the name of the painting?
15 years ago my artistic knowledge consisted of that poster of the tennis player scratching her arse so the title didn't mean anything to me.

A quick hunt around on the Web threw it up though. A Corner of the Garden of St Paul's Hospital at St Rémy (1889)

I really should visit The Tate again, haven't been in quite a few years - I could lose a day there easily.

i do like Warhol

Grace Kelly

While not exactly fine art I'd urge everyone to check out this guy's gallery - especially the dA Bestiary series which catagorises forum posters everywhere...

windy999

A system of cells interlinked
The Visionary Work of Alex Grey

Next week, here in Boston, Alex is doing the decor at a psytrance event at Axis Boston. This will be the final event at Axis before they demolish it and build some big super club. I am very excited to meet this artist in person, as well as see all these works in their original form...

Check out his website if you like his stuff.

*click on the picture for a bigger view

The City Rises, by Umberto Boccioni (painted in 1910)
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Really like the Alex Grey you posted Sed, I saved oversoul it was so striking

Despite the controversy he created recently with Spider-Man being retconned back about 15 years, the art Marvel's EIC came out with was so impactful, I made some of it my avatar

Originally Posted by Sedai
Dark...

I like it. I would like to see it in a gallery to get the full impact...
Yeah, it's huge, and impressive as Hell in person. They have it at the MoMa. Unfortunately I haven't been to the museum or New York since the MoMa's remodeling so I don't know where that Boccioni is displayed now (or if they have it in storage), but it used to be at the top of the first set of stairs to the left as you walked up.