Has a movie ever traumatized you?

Tools    

OK, since no one's been flat out making fun of each other, I'll talk about it. The thing that gave me freaky dreams as a kid and still makes me uncomfortable now... The worded webs. Charlotte. I'm fine with regular webs on the real world, I just can't look at those specific webs without getting really twitchy...
Are we talking the 00's remake or the animated 70's one? Or do both affect you? Also, what is it that freaks you out so much about it? Is it the concept of a spider spelling these things or is it the look of them?

Yep. That's the scene that did me in my childhood. I've only just started to not turn my head away when that head is about to bob up. A small victory! Also the blackboard screeching Quint does still messes me up a bit.

An American Werewolf in London - Saw this at the cinema with my parents and my older brother. I was only 7-years old. All of the nightmare sequences pretty much traumatized me. Those, and Jack's corpse showing up all the time. I don't think I've ever sat and watched those nightmare sequences since though...

Antichrist - A Lars von Trier film! Great! Except for the fact there's genital mutilation and injuries. I can't unsee those scenes - but I really wish I could.

The Shining - My parents took me to the drive-in - by the time Danny starts yelling "Redrum!! Redrum!!" I was already under the seat in fear. Just hearing that... "Redrum...redrum...redrum!!!" scared me more because my imagination was running wild.
I love Lars but yes, Antichrist will do that. I remember wanting to ‘unsee’ the opening scene with the window when they’re having sex. Something profoundly sick about it.

Are we talking the 00's remake or the animated 70's one? Or do both affect you? Also, what is it that freaks you out so much about it? Is it the concept of a spider spelling these things or is it the look of them?

It just gave me freaky dreams as a kid. Not "nightmares," just freaky dreams. As a result, I realized just how freaky the situation really was, and as a result, the idea of a sticky web with ugly words spelled in it just became an uncomfortable staple of many weird dreams, so I had to fight to get rid of them by avoiding that movie like the plague. I remember as a kid I ended up watching the remake, and it wasn't as freaky, probably because it was in live-action and a little more realistic. But I've had to work hard to avoid it. Last year I went to a streaming site and jumped ahead to the musical number in which the web was being formed, but I could only look at a part of the web before I had to turn it off...

Jackass 3D - The "volcano" scene

Not me personally, but I had a friend in high school who went to see the exorcist after dropping some acid. He said he felt like the demon was talking to him personally.

Not me personally, but I had a friend in high school who went to see the exorcist after dropping some acid. He said he felt like the demon was talking to him personally.
I know a guy who watched The Wall while he was with a group of friends, all of them high. Apparently, they all felt like killing themselves.

Btw, the movie's good, but it does NOT do the album justice. They cut out my favorite song on the album, which is actually my favorite Pink Floyd song: Hey You.

I'll be honest: The Exorcist didn't scare me. I pretty much already had a clear-cut idea of what a demonic possession would look like, so I ended up just enjoying the movie for its art.

I first watched The Wall in a small bowling alley on a small Army base in Utah. There was like seven or so people crammed into an even smaller room and, since we were watching on an old fashioned film projector, one guy had to keep getting up to change film reels. Two of the people were a really young looking soldier and his "date", who looked old enough to be his grandmother. They noisily and enthusiastically made out throughout the movie. Now that could qualify as traumatic.

I first watched The Wall in a small bowling alley on a small Army base in Utah. There was like seven or so people crammed into an even smaller room and, since we were watching on an old fashioned film projector, one guy had to keep getting up to change film reels.

Two of the people were a really young looking soldier and his "date", who looked old enough to be his grandmother. They noisily and enthusiastically made out throughout the movie. Now that could qualify as traumatic.
Yikes, now I'm traumatized

I first watched The Wall in a small bowling alley on a small Army base in Utah. There was like seven or so people crammed into an even smaller room and, since we were watching on an old fashioned film projector, one guy had to keep getting up to change film reels. Two of the people were a really young looking soldier and his "date", who looked old enough to be his grandmother. They noisily and enthusiastically made out throughout the movie. Now that could qualify as traumatic.
The heart wants what it wants.*

Maybe they thought they were there to see Harold and Maude (1971)!

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
What was it about this film that made you have that reaction?
The entire movie tbh but especially the scene at the restaurant.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

The entire movie tbh but especially the scene at the restaurant.
Yeah that's a killer scene. I get the heartbreak but I was expecting to be moved by Asako alot more than I was.

3 Asian films that broke my heart more:

My Sassy Girl
Christmas in August
Failan

Each one of those made me bawl. Possibly 'Poetry' too but a different kind of experience.

@ScarletLion I didn't cry on Asako, though. I haven't seen any of the films you listed. Reportedly just films for normies, didn't bother checking them out.
Always worth checking them out yourself, even if their reportedly for normies.

Duplicate Account (locked)
The documentary "I am a killer" created something like a trauma in me, but that was just because i watched it when i was in a very vulnerable state of mind.

"How tall is King Kong ?"
Had a few cinema traumas as a kid.

For days and days I had nightmares about being chased in my building's stairs by the Exorcist's demon. Until the night where I turned around, and angrily informed her that she was a movie character, that the movie was over and she had no place there. She left without a word and never haunted me ever since.

I had also been traumatized by short excerpts from movies I hadn't seen fully. I couldn't understand what was going on with that monster or killer who was cornering a lady against the wall, and how she started backing up the wall, and how the monster kept walking upwards towards her and the ceiling. It was terrifying. Was it a joke ? Why was it making my parents laugh ? I learnt decades afterwards that it was an episode of The Avengers, about shoes that allowed people to walk on walls.

Also, a tv show about scifi in general showed me an excerpt of The Abominable Dr Phibes. I never looked the same way at the ceiling over my bed. I hear I'm not the only one, though.

Also : morlocks. MORLOCKS !!!