Help me with Foreign (Non-English) Movie Recommendations

Tools    

The trick is not minding
I still don't know if Suspiria would even count as a foreign language film. Regardless of that, I agree that it's probably not for gbg.
Agreed on both counts.

I still don't know if Suspiria would even count as a foreign language film. Regardless of that, I agree that it's probably not for gbg.
Was Suspiria in English? I don't even remember.

Was Suspiria in English? I don't even remember.
It's Italian horror. In other words, every language version is dubbed and actors speak multiple languages during the shoots.

From Wiki:
Dubbing
All of the actors' dialogue was dubbed through additional dialogue recording—a common practice in Italian filmmaking at the time.[7] On set, each actor spoke their native language (for instance, Harper, Valli, and Bennett spoke English; Casini, Bosé, Valli, and Bucci spoke Italian; and several others spoke German). Argento expressed disappointment over the fact that Harper's voice, which he liked, was not heard in the Italian market because she was dubbed in Italian by another actress. The dubbing was overseen by Ted Rusoff, a prolific voiceover artist based in Rome who supervised English-language dubbing for numerous European genre films including Argento's follow-up to Suspiria, Inferno.

Contrary to the conventional wisdom that Suspiria is entirely post-synced, the English-language mix is actually not entirely dubbed and uses a fair amount of production dialogue recorded on set, mixed with post-synced ADR. Actors whose actual on-set recorded voices appear in some scenes of the English mix are Jessica Harper, Alida Valli, Joan Bennet, Miguel Bosé, and Flavio Bucci.

Cinema Paradiso- A movie about the love of movies French

Wings of Desire _Wim Wenders. City of Angels was based on this movie. I personally believed that they butchered Wenders original. German

Pan's Labyrinth. One very violent scene in beginning of movie.

Winter's Light- Ingmar Bergman. Part of Bergman's silence o God trilogy. Powerful movie Swedish

8 1/2 Nights of Cabria La Strada, The ship Sails on. All by Fellini. These are all I have seen, but looking forward to seeing more. Italian

**** Jean de Florette/ Manon of Spring. Two movies/same story. One of my top tens

Camille Claudel featuring Isabella Adjani. Explore Camille's relationship with, and influence on Rodin

If you want to see a film that is in English, but directed by a foreign director try out Paris Texas. Another of my top 10. Directed by Wim Wenders, the same director who did Wings of Desire.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Thank you to everyone for all of your help and recommendations. I'm reading through the replies now, and it looks like there are some great recommendations here.

I've seen some of the movies mentioned here already, mostly from joining some HoFs over the past few years, so thanks for reminding me to go through those nominations too because some of them have a good chance at making my list.

I watched Amélie, Wings of Desire, and Parasite in the last couple of weeks. (Since it looked like foreign was going to win the poll, I started early. ) I liked all three movies.

I've seen both The Umbrellas of Cherbourg and The Young Girls of Rochefort, and I liked both movies, so I'll look for movies from Jacques Demy.

I saw and liked these movies:
Contratiempo (The Invisible Guest) - This was one of my favorite foreign movies from the HoFs, and I didn't even join that HoF.
Wolf Children
Divorce Italian Style
M
A Town Called Panic
Le Samouraï
Beauty and the Beast (1946)
Das Boot (This was a bit long, but it's a very good movie.)
Spirited Away
Rififi

I think I've seen these movies, but I'll have to rewatch them:
Smiles of a Summer Night
A Seperation
Wadjda
High and Low
Breathless
Sonatine (If I remember correctly, I didn't like this movie, but I'm not sure. I'll check the HoF thread before rewatching it.)
Twenty-Four Eyes
Solaris (1972)
Raise the Red Lantern
Le Trou
Late Spring
Rashomon (This is another movie that I don't think I liked, but I'll double-check and decide it I should rewatch it.)
Les Diaboliques
Pan's Labyrinth (I saw this a long time ago, but I don't remember much about it.)

These movies are already on my watchlist because I've read a lot of good reviews of them:
Cinema Paradiso (I even have this movie on DVD. )
The 400 Blows
Bicycle Thieves (Is this the same movie as The Bicycle Thief (1949)?)
The Hunt
Pather Panchali
Le Cercle Rouge
Mon Oncle
Shoot the Piano Player

We took the time to recommend you foreign films. Maybe take a little time to post your thoughts on those films in this thread?

That sounds fair. I appreciate all the help you've all given me, so I'll try to write some thoughts on the movies as I watch them.

If you want to see a film that is in English, but directed by a foreign director try out Paris Texas. Another of my top 10. Directed by Wim Wenders, the same director who did Wings of Desire.

I watched Paris, Texas recently for the All-Time Countdown. I didn't know that it was directed by the same director as Wings of Desire.

Paris, Texas was pretty good, but it was a bit slow and kind of depressing.

I liked Wings of Desire a lot. I didn't know much about it before watching it, except that it had something to do with angels, and Peter Falk was in it. It took me a while to figure out what was going on because at first I thought it was just about a couple of angels who seemed to be bored with their job, but as the movie went on, it just kept getting better.

The only thing that I knew about Amélie before I watched it was that it's a romance movie, and it's highly rated, so I had a good feeling about it. Fortunately, it didn't let me down.

I found the character of Amélie to be a little bit annoying at times, but I think that was just her quirkiness coming through, so it wasn't enough to hurt the movie at all. My favorite parts were the part with her and Nino, and trying to figure out about the guy who kept showing up in the photos, and the part with the garden gnome pictures from around the world. I couldn't figure out how she was getting those gnome pictures from all over the place, but I probably should have realized it before the movie revealed how.

It's still early, and I have a lot of movies to watch for the upcoming countdown, but this movie probably has a good chance to make my list.

Let the night air cool you off
@gbgoodies

Since you like Divorce Italian Style, I think you should try Seduced and Abandoned by the same director. It's the follow up to DIS. It has a lot of similarities, and while not quite as good, it is still very worthwhile.

I also think you should try out Shoplifters (2018). I have a hunch you could at least enjoy it. I think it is superior to a sort of similar film in Parasite. I recommended it to @Citizen Rules and he enjoyed it, so he could vouch for it too.

Pather Panchali, The Cranes are Flying, and Late Spring have all been mentioned; I'll throw my support behind them and recommend them to you.

Yup, I can vouch for Shoplifters. An easy watch, compelling, even humorous though it's not a comedy...I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think GBG would like it too. BTW my first choice for GBG is Late Spring. I think she'll see a lot of truth and heart in that film. I gave it a

I almost didn't watch Parasite because I thought it was a horror movie, and from the title, I thought it had something to do with bugs, but when it won the Oscar, and there was so much hype surrounding it, I decided to give it a chance. (I figured that I could just turn it off if it wasn't my type of movie.)

I'm glad that I gave it a chance because I liked it. I'm not sure that I really understand all the hype about it, and why it's getting as much praise as it's getting, but it's a good movie. It's just not Oscar-caliber good in my opinion.

WARNING: "SPOILERS for the movie "Parasite"!!!" spoilers below
At first, it was nice to see that the poor young man got a good paying job working for the rich family, but as his whole family leeched their way into the rest of the jobs by lying and getting the previous employees fired, the whole poor family became unlikable people.

By the same token, as the rich family hired the poor people for various jobs, their true personalities seemed to come out, and they gradually became unlikable too.

That left a whole bunch of unlikable people, so by the time the scene at the party happened, I felt like I was supposed to care about what happened to these people, but unfortunately, I didn't care enough to be upset about the outcome. In fact, I thought it was a shame that the poor father didn't get caught for what he did to the rich father. And also for what the poor family did to the couple in the basement.

But overall, I liked the movie. I just would have liked it more if I could have cared more about these people, and what happened to them after the party was over.

@gbgoodies

Since you like Divorce Italian Style, I think you should try Seduced and Abandoned by the same director. It's the follow up to DIS. It has a lot of similarities, and while not quite as good, it is still very worthwhile.

I also think you should try out Shoplifters (2018). I have a hunch you could at least enjoy it. I think it is superior to a sort of similar film in Parasite. I recommended it to @Citizen Rules and he enjoyed it, so he could vouch for it too.

Pather Panchali, The Cranes are Flying, and Late Spring have all been mentioned; I'll throw my support behind them and recommend them to you.

Thanks for the recs. I'll look into these movies too.

Yup, I can vouch for Shoplifters. An easy watch, compelling, even humorous though it's not a comedy...I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think GBG would like it too. BTW my first choice for GBG is Late Spring. I think she'll see a lot of truth and heart in that film. I gave it a

I vaguely remember watching Late Spring for an early HoF here, and I think I liked it. I just wish I could remember it better. But I added it to my watchlist already, so I'll make sure to rewatch it for the countdown.

The Legend of the Golden Pearl (1987) is very good adventure movie with leitmotive of golden pearl.

To be honest, I don't have much patience with subtitles
Lots of anime films have good English dubs, so check those out if you want.

I like romance and rom-coms.
-A Silent Voice. Warning, it's a real tearjerker!

I like musicals, but not loud, rock-music type of musicals. I like the classic musicals, like the ones from the 1960s and earlier.
-"Jolly Fellows" by Grigori Aleksandrov
-"Le Million" by René Clair
-"Zouzou" by Marc Allégret
-Allegro non Troppo

I like comedy, but not raunchy comedy. Screwball comedies are okay too.
-Jaques Tati, lots of slapstick and not many subtitles.

I like mysteries and suspense movies, as long as they're not too graphic.
-Spoorloos: Very disturbing but not remotely graphic.

I like sci-fi, but more the fantasy/sci-fi movies, NOT the horror/sci-fi movies. Time travel movies are good too.
-Icarus XB 1
-La Jetée (There's a good English dub from what I remember)
-Run Lola Run

Considering that you liked Le Samourai, I'm sure you'll like some of Melville's other films.
Considering that you liked Spirited Away, you'll LOVE Kiki's Delivery Service
I also see lots of people in the thread recommending Bergman, but I don't know if you'd like him. If you want to check him out, I'd recommend starting with The Magic Flute