MoFo Movie Club : The Conversation

Tools    

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by Strummer521
I know I'm late but I just saw The Conversation and there are three things I would like to discuss. The first two relate to Sam's comment about the film's attention to detail. In an early scene in the film, Caul walks into a crowd and the camera doesn't do the usual and follow him. It just stays fixed on the crowd as a whole. I looked down for a second and just as could easily happen in such a big city: I lost sight of him in the crowd! The other point of realism that in which this film doesn't do something that most do is this: Caul has a nightmare about his current situation, and when he wakes up, he doesn't gasp or scream with fright as he would have if this was just about any other film I have seen in which someone has a nightmare. He simply wakes up and goes about his business. Also did the last scene remind anyone of the expression: "Nero fiddled while Rome Burned"?
Great observations, Strum! That first crowd scene grabbed me, for the very reason you cite. In fact, the camera almost seems to follow the mime at first. I remember thinking, 'if Sedai has recommended a film about a mime, I'm going to have some words with the guy". In that scene and a few later in the film, we see a fairly unframed picture and something moves around in it and then draws our attention to what we're supposed to see. It's a very gentle and natural technique.

I didn't think of Nero, but now that you mention it...

Tacitus Yeah, Coppola did say that. It was an interesting contrast to Sonnenfeld's comments on controlling the focus in wide-angle in Miller's Crossing.

Well it has finally arrived, I watched it today, I loved watching again, it was a great choice nothing to add, everyone has said it, great reading guys.

seen it yesterday for the first time, great piece of cinema, and a movie that really explores a human s mind when he s suspecting something will happen and then it transforms into his dreams where his fears are released into some kind of nightmares about a couple who are supposedly gonna get murdered, brilliant film