The Comic Book Tab

Tools    

I'm not old, you're just 12.
X-Men: Days of Future Past By Chris Claremont, John Byrne, and Terry Austin - wow. A classic that more than lives up to it's reputation. The paperback i have covers the issues that introduced Kitty Pryde into the X-Men (directly after the Dark Phoenix saga) up to the final John Byrne issue after DoFP. It's amazing how much story they crammed into two regular sized issues back in the 1980's. Today, DoFP would have been a massive crossover in every X-Men book and probably a few other books that need a sales boost. Claremont and Byrne tell an epic in TWO ISSUES. I am going to seek out any other books by these two gentlemen that I can find now.

X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills by Chris Claremont and Brent Anderson - Another old school X-Men book, this one is a shorter story about a TV Evangelist who claims mutants are created by the devil, and the tragedy and violence this causes. Fantastic artwork, great story, and pretty thought provoking.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I know this is mainstream, but I encourage everyone to read Thor God Of Thunder
Can't echo this recommendation strongly enough. It's been an epic series so far. Just ridiculously epic and ambitious with multiple Thors and multiple timelines, culminating recently in King Thor battling Ancient Galactacus on a ruined Earth.

There are a lot of other series I'm enjoying just now. As you can see it's mostly mainsteam stuff, and quite clearly I'm a Marvel fanboy. Daredevil has been excellent since it was relaunched a few years ago. Hawkeye was brilliant for a while but has become a bit hit and miss thanks to the Kate issues. Oh and Superior Foes of Spider-Man is just really fun and witty. Black Science is also pretty great.

And then Marvel also has a bunch of newish releases that show potential. Moon Knight has some gorgeous art and out-there stories; same story with Elektra which is insanely good-looking. I'm loving Ms Marvel; such a sweet, clever and heartwarming read. While both Iron Fist: The Living Weapon and Loki: Agent of Asgard have been fun with potential to be great.

Walt Disney's Donald Duck: Lost in the Andes - Carl Barks

The episodic plots didn't totally grab me in this first volume of the collected works of Carl Barks but there is some excellent drawing and effects throughout. I'll be sure to check out the next couple volumes that have already been released.
Yeah this is the best of the best when it comes to Golden Age comics. A buddy of mine had the 2nd appearance of Donald Duck done by Carl Barks, but it had no cover. If he had a cover he said it would go from worthless to $500. No matter where he looked though he could never find one. Not surprising.

Read most of this yesterday, going to finish it shortly: Dark Night: A True Batman Story. It's from Paul Dini a writer and producer on Batman: The Animated Series and other stuff (part of the story features him working at Batman TAS), it's really amazing. It's about a real incident were he was mugged and seriously injured (it tells you exactly how bad in excruciating detail right at the start) and it goes into the importance of comics to him as a kid, how he was bullied and how this was a form of escapism to him, followed by him working at Warner Bros/on Batman TAS then it just morphs into something else entirely. Will probably post more when i'm finished but i think it is one of my favourite comics, alot of it has really got to me.