The first horror movie you watched?

Tools    

The trick is not minding
Probably Jason Takes Manhattan; blegh...
I remember seeing that in the theaters. It was a big deal for us, at the time being all of 11 going on 12, seeing Jason in the big screen finally.

Bleh is right btw

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
When I was about three, I remember screaming at the ad for Amityville Horror until my parents took me to it. That was probably the first. At least of my conscious life.
I thought the opening music was creepy.

Victim of The Night
Oh the other one was this memory I have when the parents and grandparents (we were visiting at my grandparents' house) left me alone with the TV at a very young age (at most 7 years old) on a Saturday night so they could have adult time and I became fixated on one of the Hammer Frankenstein movies (I've never quite been able to figure out which one, though I was sure I had at one point, I'm no longer sure) and in the third act I just lost my ****. They could not calm me down. I broke up the party. My parents had to take me home because I was inconsolable.
That was a great night.

I watched most of The Evil Dead 2 as a kid, which I randomly flipped to on TV when I was left to my own devices. It didn't make me a fan of horror - that didn't happen until much later - but I enjoyed it. It didn't traumatize me, give me nightmares, etc. because it's so over the top and more funny than scary.

Speaking of - and this is probably a subject for another thread - but in general, I've been scared more by movies that are not labeled as horror. A lot of these scares are because I watched them as a kid, but examples include Pris's fight with Deckard in Blade Runner (her convulsions gave me the creeps), any scene with the Wicked Witch in The Wizard of Oz and Gmork in The Neverending Story. Maybe it's because they're not labeled as horror and I thus didn't expect to be scared.

Hard to remember but the first horror film I seen was probably Friday the 13th first run at the theater. I didn't like it and I don't like horror so have seen many since.

I’ve been scared more by movies that are not labeled as horror. A lot of these scares are because I watched them as a kid, but examples include Pris's fight with Deckard in Blade Runner (her convulsions gave me the creeps), any scene with the Wicked Witch in The Wizard of Oz and Gmork in The Neverending Story. Maybe it's because they're not labeled as horror and I thus didn't expect to be scared.
Maybe. Or maybe - and I’m inclined to take this view - it is because horror truly lies in human actions, hence supernatural not being fundamentally ‘scary’. I found the Breaking Bad finale pretty terrifying in the best possible sense,
WARNING: spoilers below
i.e. that he’d sell someone into slavery, in the context of ‘evil that men commit against each other’
. Would still say that sort of thing is the closest that comes to genuinely spine-tingling, same with Cargo 200 and you’re right, they don’t tend to label it as ‘horror’. But then, I never understood why on Earth the definition of horror presupposes the supernatural.

Oh the other one was this memory I have when the parents and grandparents (we were visiting at my grandparents' house) left me alone with the TV at a very young age (at most 7 years old) on a Saturday night so they could have adult time and I became fixated on one of the Hammer Frankenstein movies (I've never quite been able to figure out which one, though I was sure I had at one point, I'm no longer sure) and in the third act I just lost my ****. They could not calm me down. I broke up the party. My parents had to take me home because I was inconsolable.
That was a great night.
Adorable story.
It's funny to remember what a coward I was as a kid. I remember being reluctant to watch MJs Thriller video when it first premiered, and I was at least 12. What a weenie I was.

Adorable story.
It's funny to remember what a coward I was as a kid. I remember being reluctant to watch MJs Thriller video when it first premiered, and I was at least 12. What a weenie I was.
Ha, you guys. I craved blood and guts aged 3. Father always watched thrillers at night and at the first sight of injury I’d sit up, eyes gleaming.

Actually do remember that very well.

Maybe. Or maybe - and I’m inclined to take this view - is because horror truly lies in human actions, hence supernatural not being fundamentally ‘scary’.
I tend to agree. The scariest movie I've ever seen is The Vanishing - which is labeled as a thriller - for those reasons. I mean, I've found horror with monsters and the supernatural scary such as Aliens, Jaws, Creature from the Black Lagoon, etc., but nothing is scarier than seeing humans, particularly ordinary ones, inflict evil upon other humans, especially if their reasons for doing so are arbitrary or not easily explained.

I tend to agree. The scariest movie I've ever seen is The Vanishing - which is labeled as a thriller - for those reasons. I mean, I've found horror with monsters and the supernatural scary such as Aliens, Jaws, Creature from the Black Lagoon, etc., but nothing is scarier than seeing humans, particularly ordinary ones, inflict evil upon other humans, especially if their reasons for doing so are arbitrary or not easily explained.
Yup. The Vanishing from 1988 is brutal. Full stop.

Ha, you guys. I craved blood and guts aged 3. Father always watched thrillers at night and at the first sight of injury I’d sit up, eyes gleaming.

Actually do remember that very well.
I craved monsters. Blood and guts not so much.
I have some cousins that loved slashers from a very young age and we all agree that they are the weird branch of the family.

I have no clear recollection of what was the first. Maybe it was an episode of a Finnish music/entertainment TV show called Kivikasvot. They did three stand-alone musicals in 1980, and one of them, Lepakkolinna (that would be Bat Castle in English), was a Dracula-inspired thing set in Transylvania. I don't remember anything about the other two episodes, but I remember the "horror" one being quite scary for the five-year-old pahaK. Maybe I should rewatch that at some point.

And real horror films? No idea about that either. I know I saw Evil Dead when I was nine or ten, but I know it wasn't even close to my first. Pretty hard to remember the order of films seen closer to 40 years ago

Victim of The Night
Adorable story.
I think that was the perfect age for Thriller.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I'm not sure which movie I saw first, but the two earliest horror movies that I remember seeing are Halloween (1978) and The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957).

I saw a bootleg of Halloween while it was still in the movie theaters. I didn't remember much about it, except that I didn't like it. (I only watched it because my friend's older brother worked at the movie theater, and he brought home a bootleg of it, so we watched it with him.)

I saw The Incredible Shrinking Man on TV, and it terrified me. It's one of the reasons that I have such a terrible fear of spiders.