the greatest horror film ever made

Tools    

What do you think was the greatest horror film ever made

I'm not sure if this can be classified as a "horror" film, but Fire in the Sky scared the crap out of me! I hate aliens..

Rosemary's Baby (1968 - Polanski), with The Shining (1980 - Kubrick) just behind it.

"What have you done to his eyes, you MANIACS?!?!"
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The Emperor of Ice Cream
I second Rosemary's Baby.

I've actually never seen Rosemary's Baby yet. Thats one I may pick up next time I go.

The Reaping 7/10
Transformers 8.5/10
Flight of the Living Dead 6/10
The Invisible 6/10
Return to House on Haunted Hill 1/10
Planet Terror 8/10
A Mighty Heart 7/10

What about Jaws, that was scary as hell to anyone who saw it, today it's pretty dull cause everyone knows everything about the movie, but if it just came to the theatres, people would get scared

Id say The Shining. Very well done, and so very creepy.

I couldn't really chose since I've never really been scared from a film. I was raise on horror films throughout my childhood. I think I started at like 5 with "The Shining." Ever since then I yet to see a film that will scare me or raise the hairs on the back of my neck. If anyone has any suggestions i'd be glad to hear em.

**** ME! I'M ALL OUTTA ENEMIES!!
ethier Freddy Vs. Jason or Halloween 4

not scary to a buff, if anything, then Gothika was pretty good, so was that new Angelina Jolie Movie, where she has some sort of gift for murders, and the murderer keeps stealing his victims' identities

I don't know, anything with Hillary Duff is terrifying!

This is a pretty tough question.

Putting my favorite horror movies aside, I'd say Night of the Living Dead is the absolute greatest in terms of innovation.

I really enjoyed Rosemarys Baby but the ending lost all the suggestions of paranoia. I thought it was great that you didnt know if they had the baby, i think it shoulda ended after she finds the secret door so you were left to think about the whole film, instead the amazing and massive build up of tension is lead (to what i thought) an un-satisfactory ending.

The Emperor of Ice Cream
Use the spoilers tag please!!!

Okay. The greatest horror movie EVER made is THE EVIL DEAD. Mainly because it is so raw and visually stunning. It achieves shock value and campiness. It introduced us to the now legendary actor Bruce Cambell and the directing talents of Sam Raimi. It was shot on a low budget and still manages to have plenty of effects that would be done with computer today. It captured my imagination the very first time I saw it. The colors are dazzling and the set is great. The movie is amazing. A truely timless piece of cinematic magic.

Since I like scifi, Id have to say Event Horizon. I know, I know, there is no excuse, but that movie scared the beejesus out of me, and I wasnt even a child.

Taking Lives, that's what it was called

Berthanita Germaine the serf
I going to have to go with most other people in this thread and vote for The Shining.

Rosemary's Baby has dated too much to be considered the greatest horror film of all time.
"If you wanna know something and he won't tell you, cut off one of his fingers. The little one. Then tell him his thumb's next. After that he'll tell you if he wears ladies underwear. I'm hungry. Let's get a taco."