R.I.P. Bo Hopkins

Tools    

Wow, didn't see this one coming either...tough, charismatic actor who never phoned it in...loved him as Matthew Blaisdel on Dynasty and in The Getaway (1972)...RIP

Another great character actor who, for some reason, always seemed to be in movies I was very fond of or gravitated towards. So many great roles but White Lightning springs immediately to mind. The Killer Elite as well. Even something you might dismiss as forgettable like From Dusk Till Dawn 2: Texas Blood Money.

Memorable. That would be the word I would use for those type of actors. Just like Fred Ward or Powers Boothe.

RIP Mr. Hopkins.

Dang, I think I've got him confused with Jerry Reed.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Dang, I think I've got him confused with Jerry Reed.

They played brothers in the movie What Comes Around (1985).

Another great one gone. I guess my earliest memory of him is his really fine scene at the first of The Wild Bunch. Then The Getaway, both American Graffiti films, The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing playing support to Burt Reynold, White Lightning...the list just keeps going. He was a what I've heard called a "utility player," one who was hardly ever the star, but he could play any role in support and do it very well.

I've always wanted to see The Killer Elite but I'm still waiting for it to hit one of my streaming services. I'll probably have to rent it on Amazon Prime because I'm tired of waiting.

But one of my favorites he did was one he was actually the star of and that was Tentacles (1977), a B-thriller with a killer octopus and some big stars supporting him for a change, along with a lot of Italian actors since it was made by an Italian director and crew but filmed mostly in California. Even though it wasn't a classic, it was very watchable and very cool to see Bo as the hero of the movie. I haven't seen Midnight Express in so long that I forgot he was in it.

So sad to hear that he's gone. We're losing all our great supporting actors, it seems. At least of my era. Godspeed, Bo.

I've always wanted to see The Killer Elite but I'm still waiting for it to hit one of my streaming services. I'll probably have to rent it on Amazon Prime because I'm tired of waiting.
It's Peckinpah and it's a product of it's time (1975). Slo-mo violence. Plus martial arts which is what drew me to it. The cast Is great. James Caan and Robert Duvall. Hopkins and Mako and Burt Young. Arthur Hill and Gig Young. Pulpy goodness.

The 2011 remake with Jason Statham, Clive Owen and Robert De Niro was worlds apart and lots of critics said it was a mess but I actually enjoyed it.

EDIT: I don't think I've seen Tentacles. Sounds good. And Henry Fonda is in it? Shame on myself.