Sphere 1998 question

Tools    

Make a better place
Hi guys, obviously the question will contain spoilers so if you haven't watched the movie please stop reading.

Okay
What I understood is that who ever enters the sphere gets the power to manifest their fears into reality when they think or dream about their fears and they do it unintentionally.

at the end of the movie the three survivors choose to use their power to just simply forget all the events and it worked. What I don't understand is how did they gain that power to forget, to my understanding it has nothing to do with the kind of power you get by entering the sphere.

Does the Sphere have the power to allow them to purposely forget?
Have they genuinely forgotten?
Or... are they just keeping up their respective ends of the pact by saying that they have no memory of the events?

Could be any of those things, but it's all part of the viewing experience

Make a better place
Or... are they just keeping up their respective ends of the pact by saying that they have no memory of the events?
Well, now when I think of it that might very well be the case. Although for some reason when I was watching it I was under the impression that they did genuinely forget

and I guess yeah, it's all part of the viewing experience

Thanks Rodent

A system of cells interlinked
If I recall, in the book, The final paragraph sort of hints at the the possibility that Elizabeth didn't give up her power. The book also explains the power to be more like a universal power to manifest thought into reality - an interpretation that makes more sense with the act of forgetting at the end. The fact that the power is too strong to not be abused, and the fact that there was no record of the ship being reported as found in the past led the expedition characters to think that hey either died, or never reported it, and since they escaped death, they figured they must have chosen to forget.

Yep - time travel is confusing. I need coffee.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
^agree
I remember enjoying the book (10th grade Weekly Reader order!) and being frustrated that the movie glossed over so many things. The ending confusion you're describing may have been one of them.

Yeah, what Sedai and Rodent both said. I read the book (or most of it? I can't recall if I read all of it), and the power there was less specific. More of a general power to manifest things. But as Rodent suggests, whether or not it's actually happened is indeed an open question.

Very cool idea, super cool book, sporadically good movie.

Make a better place
Sedai, ynwtf, Yoda and once again Rodent
Thank you guys very much

So, I think we all agree that most probably they left the ending open for interpretation