Minio's Ramblings on Cinema

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Machine-translated from a 3-part interview with Yoji Yamada.

This snippet discusses what would happen to Tora-san had Kiyoshi Atsumi lived longer. Apparently, he'd be taken in by Gozen-sama, which I find really beautiful because he said "Buddha loves the foolish too. Sometimes I think maybe Buddha loves Tora more than an imperfect priest like me.", which is so Catholic, by the way, that Yamada's faith becomes evident even though these are words pronounced by a character who's a Buddhist priest.

"When the late writer Shusaku Endo was still in good health, I once talked about Tora's later years.

According to Mr. Endo, Tora's body gradually weakened and he no longer had the energy to travel. Gozen-sama took pity on him and said, "You're a foolish man, but you haven't committed any crimes. On the contrary, you've saved many people spiritually. Don't let your later years cause trouble for people." I feel sorry for you, so please live at my temple." So I thought Tora was a temple man, and that he might have been cleaning and making a living.

hildren in the neighborhood will come to play at the temple. Tora is also looking forward to it, and they always play hide-and-seek together.

One day, Tora, who turned into a demon, called out to him, "Is it okay?" The children repeatedly say, "It's enough," "It's enough," but Tora doesn't come looking for him. "Tora-san, what are you doing?" when the children went to see him, he was crouching under the porch and passed away.

Gozen-sama took pity on him and decided to carve a Jizo statue called "Torajiro" and build it in the precincts. The jizo has a lot of benefits, and many young people, especially those who are worried about love, come to worship. "Is this the punchline? Hahaha," Endo-san laughed."

Alternate translation:

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Oh dear, Yamada went full Cezanne:

"Over the course of his life as a filmmaker, Yoji Yamada has built up a varied body of work from which one can always draw deep emotions. One is left with the impression that they are dealing with the work of a master craftsman. In the book I bought in 1984 after my first meeting with Tora-san, Yamada wrote: “I want to feel the same way as those painters who have been painting the same mountains for five or ten years, or those potters who have been making the same shape for years. Even if the landscape or the form, which we look at, is the same, the thoughts that are projected onto it must be different year after year, and they must also evolve with time.” With this mindset, there is no doubt that his works are masterpieces."

Source: https://jff.jpf.go.jp/read/column/otokowatsuraiyo/

Speaking at the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan on Oct. 3, Yamada said: “When I saw the finished film I realized that I needed 50 years to make it… it’s wonderful that at the age of 88 I could make this kind of film.” And he intends to keep going. “In the U.S., Clint Eastwood is still working away. And directors like Kaneto Shindo and Manoel de Oliveira of Portugal kept shooting films until they were 100, so there’s still hope for me.”

Source: https://variety.com/2019/film/asia/y...00-1203381787/

Well, his new movie's coming out this year. Let's hope he makes more after that!

Jesus. I've seen a disastrously small number of films in April. I lost the zeal due to different factors, but I've only watched 44 movies so far this month. It'll easily go beyond 50 since I still have 4 more days, but I somehow lost motivation. It's harder and harder to find new masterpieces. I'm slowly rewatching some old favorites, which is more fruitful in cinematic excellence than new watches. But I rarely feel like rewatching stuff.

It's really hard to embark on any sort of consistent movie journey these days because I've seen so much I'm only filling in the blanks now, and the territories that I'm still not well-versed in (Africa and India) just don't seem of particular interest to me. It's hard to be consistent with rewatches, too, and the idea to rewatch an entire filmography of a director chronologically sounds tiresome.

Oh well, at least I've seen four 9/10s this month (though I wouldn't rate any of them 9/10 back in 2015, I guess). And maybe I will still watch one or two more in the coming days.

The trick is not minding
Meanwhile, I’m trying to hit up a few films on Criterion before they are removed at the end of this month, and they keep having some issues. I keep getting “video will not load or timed out, try again later.”

Tried uninstalling and then reinstalling but that didn’t work. Guess I’ll try again tonight after work.

I noticed there is some work going on along the road to my apartment, where they seem to be removing some wires or cables of some sort, so I wonder if that’s causing the issue?

That's why I hate streaming.

No Internet = No Movie = Unacceptable!!!

The trick is not minding
That's why I hate streaming.

No Internet = No Movie = Unacceptable!!!
Out of curiosity, where do you view your movies?
Specifically, where do you find your Cat 3 and pink films?

Asking for a friend……

Our tastes, no matter how opinionated and elitist, are prone to change. And fighting the change is pointless. Sometimes the change is so subtle, we don't notice it. But others do. In many ways, cinephilia is a hobby of open-mindedness. And open-mindedness is the enemy of doggedness. All the more laughable are the elitists who cannot see how they slowly give in to overrating movies, not maintaining their former stringent film-rating policies.

I'm glad I got loose from the initial narrow-mindedness of serious cinephilia. The world is much more beautiful when you love more things.

Divinity's ways are tortuous. Art's are no less.

The trick is not minding
Since I enjoyed Come and See so much, I’m going to watch 2 of Klimov’s early films that happen to be an available on Criterion.

Welcome, or No Trespassing
Adventures of a Dentist.

Anyone familiar with them? I assume Mr Minio is

I'm familiar with Welcome, or No Trespassing, not a fan.

Agony and Farewell are way better.

The trick is not minding
I'm familiar with Welcome, or No Trespassing, not a fan.

Agony and Farewell are way better.
Alas, I’m quite you’re correct, but I must go with what’s available

The trick is not minding
Has anyone here seen I am Curious Yellow and I Am Curious Blue? I’m going to watch these in the next month or so and curious about everyone’s opinions

Has anyone here seen I am Curious Yellow and I Am Curious Blue? I’m going to watch these in the next month or so and curious about everyone’s opinions

Not a big fan. I'm pretty sure I remember preferring the less generally appreciated of the two (Blue?), but I found them both to be very politically strident in a not terribly cinematic way.

The trick is not minding
Not a big fan. I'm pretty sure I remember preferring the less generally appreciated of the two (Blue?), but I found them both to be very politically strident in a not terribly cinematic way.
Cool, thanks. I’ll go into it with that in mind. Always looking for something different these days, and these seem to fit the bill.

Why focus on for example Nietzsche's misogynism, when he has created far more interesting concepts like the Will to Power, Eternal Recurrence, etc.?
Because we like to talk about ourselves, even when we're talking about someone else.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I'm an unabashed leftist and I can confirm I love John Ford. What matters most is to read and analyze auteurs/artists/thinkers/writers in new ways which they themselves could not have foreseen. What matters is to look at their concepts/ideas which can be used to explore problems we face today. Theres a universality to concepts/ideas as Strauss puts it. We rehabilitate thinkers of the past whom may appear problematic but have their way of approaching things. Take the best ideas and run away with it. Why focus on for example Nietzsche's misogynism, when he has created far more interesting concepts like the Will to Power, Eternal Recurrence, etc.?

What a great post.