Your Most Hated Directors

Tools    

Which directors would you just love to

punch in the face

for making steaming piles of cinematic poo?
I suppose any reason will do, too

Baz Luhrmann is in top position for me. I hate everything he has made so much I could punt that hack straight into the sun.

You ready? You look ready.
Bryan Singer
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Welcome to the human race...
I would say Uwe Boll, but considering that he's challenged critics to literal boxing matches in the past it seems like a punch in the face is something he'd want. I guess there's always Allen and Polanski.

I would say Uwe Boll, but considering that he's challenged critics to literal boxing matches in the past it seems like a punch in the face is something he'd want.
Omg those tweets were amazing.

I was surprised to see his name come up so early. I went off him initially when he cast Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane. In a film that in every other respect seemed to pay homage to the Christopher Reeve films I couldn't get my head round that.

His most recent X-Men offerings put me off still further.

I was surprised to see his name come up so early. I went off him initially when he cast Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane. In a film that in every other respect seemed to pay homage to the Christopher Reeve films I couldn't get my head round that.

His most recent X-Men offerings put me off still further.
It's not just about his films, though.

@SeeingisBelieving: I’m against people raping and taking advantage of children. I don’t care how many blockbusters he has made because he is a miserable human being who’s MO is manipulate and control young men. Then he will demonize and discredit them in the press.

He’s been doing that for 20+ years.

Yeah, if we're going off the OP's criteria of "want to punch them in the face" then I think the nominees have to be guilty of something more reprehensible than merely making bad movies.

Yeah, if we're going off the OP's criteria of "want to punch them in the face" then I think the nominees have to be guilty of something more reprehensible than merely making bad movies.
Nah, "making steaming piles of cinematic poo" consistently is valid reason for face punching.

I added the "for any reason" since I know people have gripes over and above just making ****ty movies.

Personally I'm more interested in the ****ty movie reasons since there's a great multitude of general ******** in this job field....

@cat_sidhe: I think that we shouldn't tolerate the evil ****ers. Like I don't think it's at all acceptable for us to tolerate the evil ****, especially now that we are post-#MeToo.

Aside from that I honestly can't think of any reason why I'd need to punch a director in the face. Unless they like avocados. God, I can't stand those things!

@cat_sidhe: I think that we shouldn't tolerate the evil ****ers. Like I don't think it's at all acceptable for us to tolerate the evil ****, especially now that we are post-#MeToo.

Aside from that I honestly can't think of any reason why I'd need to punch a director in the face. Unless they like avocados. Got I can't stand those things!
To be honest, I don't consider things like being a dick. If I were to take that into consideration I wouldn't have much of a music or movie collection.

So I boil it all down to talent. If their talent out-performs their assholery well OKAAAAY! Other way around, **** off.

Googled Baz Luhrmann just to see if I missed something that could be considered of worth.

Oh my God, not only no, but his list of crapola only grew.

Worst. Director. Ever. I'd rather watch every Uwe Boll movie ever made than watch one more Baz Luhrmann abortion.

So he's doing an Elvis biopic. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I never liked Elvis much and now my fav worst director is doing it.

What's the bet I'll hate it?

What's the bet I'll think its the best movie EVER?

Hey I'll try to give him a fair shake even though I abhor his style.

To be honest, I don't consider things like being a dick. If I were to take that into consideration I wouldn't have much of a music or movie collection.

So I boil it all down to talent. If their talent out-performs their assholery well OKAAAAY! Other way around, **** off.
It is not a matter of just being a dick. The issue here is forced sex with children, and this is a red line that cannot be ignored. If it’s not acceptable for an average/middle class citizen to do it then there’s zero reason why a person should get a pass because they have talent or money or prestige.

I will not deny that Singer has some talent, but it’s a nonstarter and shouldn’t even be a matter of discussion. The fact remains that, for two decades, he has been attached to businesses and businessmen that purposefully cater drugs and forced sex onto young men. Some of these men have been driven to substance abuse and suicide because of this guy and his partners. I just can’t fathom why it’s OK for him to still be making movies because he has talent.

I don't have an opinion about that. My original post was more about the art.

But tbh, most people wail about that while supporting other cruel industries involving sentient beings who cannot communicate with spoken word.

Edit: although...if it makes it better, it seems like his assholery outweighs his talent so he'd be a **** off type scenario....

Yeah, I get that, and I’m adding depth to my answer. It’s not my intention to direct my replies at you like you support him or something.

Although, I think we can all agree the behaviors I outlined are never acceptable.