The Cooking Thread

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Oh god, me too, and I love making it.

I've been cooking since I was a little kid sitting on the kitchen bench helping my mother make our xmas pudding (I basically just chatted up a storm then fought with my brothers over who got to lick the spoon or bowl, but first got serious with Mollie Katzen's books when I decided to go vego. They're falling apart now but I refuse to throw htem out, plus my mother's plum pudding recipe is written in the notes section. I cant give you that one - it's a secret recipe for the girls that's been handed down for generations.

Spinch yoghurt sauce

Make right before serving or it loses it's colour.

1lb spinach cleaned and stemmed
salt
1 cup firm yoghurt room temp
2tbs sour cream
2 tbs butter
2 tbs flour
blck pepper
pinch nutmeg

optional
1/2 cup chopped onion sauteed in butter
1/2 cup grated cheddar

Place wet spinach in saucepan, add salt, cook until slightly pooped. Puree in it's own liquid.

Melt butter, whisk in flour, cook whisking 2-3 minutes
Add puree and cook 5 mins stirring frequently
add seasonings and optional extras (I recommend them)

Just before serving whisk in yoghurt and sour cream.

Super easy, her recipes dont take themselves too seriously like 1/4 teaspoon of this, 6 1/2 strands of saffron etc, and no fail every time. Really encouraged me to throw away recipes and ad lib in the kitchen.

Pho recipe. I boil my bones for 8 hours, stick in the fridge, and the next day it's a thick, gelatinous bowl of wonder.

http://www.gourmettraveller.com.au/r...gie-hongs-pho/
@Dannii, this one is for chicken

http://steamykitchen.com/139-vietnam...up-pho-ga.html

I would keep that going much longer as well. The best pho stocks re mde over night.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Yeah, to add to what Dani8 is saying on keeping the chicken broth in the stock pot over night in the fridge? That totally works. Just be prepared to freak out the next morning when you find a 1/4" layer of chilled solidified yellow disc goop of chicken fat floating on top You COULD scrape it out and toss it, but doing so removes a lot of yummy flavor. Just bring to a simmer to break the fat back down into liquid form, mix, and store if you are going to store.

As with any meat, the flavor is in the fat! I'm serious. If you have access to live cows, try licking one. First around the fatty belly, then again around the muscular rump. The fattiest areas will always taste best.

Yeah, to add to what Dani8 is saying on keeping the chicken broth in the stock pot over night in the fridge? That totally works. Just be prepared to freak out the next morning when you find a 1/4" layer of chilled solidified yellow disc goop of chicken fat floating on top You COULD scrape it out and toss it, but doing so removes a lot of yummy flavor. Just bring to a simmer to break the fat back down into liquid form, mix, and store if you are going to store.

As with any meat, the flavor is in the fat! I'm serious. If you have access to live cows, try licking one. First around the fatty belly, then again around the muscular rump. The fattiest areas will always taste best.
I just pull it off. The fat discolours the stock and the trick with pho is crystal clear stock. I also dont like animl fat - makes me gag.

As for your next comment, you sick lil puppeh, but I laughed.

lol. The cows love it.

well, I'm going back to the reference earlier for something like dumplings, or other hearty southern style meals. But yes, Pho, by all means scrape it, otherwise it will carry a yellowish hue. I can concede there

lol. The cows love it.

well, I'm going back to the reference earlier for something like dumplings, or other hearty southern style meals. But yes, Pho, by all means scrape it, otherwise it will carry a yellowish hue. I can concede there
I bet they do but I'm not sure how legal that is here and NZ. Men can only do it to sheep.

Are your dumpling soups asian dumplings? I love making those.

Need to go over to my sil's mother's house to make matzoh ball soup

Such great soupy weather here right now.

I bet they do but I'm not sure how legal that is here and NZ. Men can only do it to sheep.

Are your dumpling soups asian dumplings? I love making those.

Need to go over to my sil's mother's house to make matzoh ball soup

Such great soupy weather here right now.

ha! Poor cows.
No. I'm in Alabama, USA. We don't cook delicate things. We cook dense, heavy, buttery things. This link is more in line with our style. This recipe cheats though, buying store-bought broth.

https://www.thecountrycook.net/old-f...and-dumplings/

Nothing wrong with store bought, as long as it doesnt contain nasties like msg. I just prefer to make my own.

Where is jambalaya from? I had that in NYC from the seinfeld soup nazi and went to heaven. Dayum that was good.

hrrrrrmmmmm.....
That would be a Naw'Leans, Law-weezy-anna, creole concoction right'cheah! Spicy sausages, chicken, s'rimp, rice, hooo-weeee, I ger-au' tee, ryte 'dere!

Something like this:

(the lady does stop screaming after a minute)

But you need to watch the Cajun Chef. I watched this man as a kid and loved him like a TV grandad!!

LOL I actually understood most of that.

Will watch your vids after work.

You want me to lick a cow!! No way!! That's the funniest thing i've ever heard!! 😆. There's plenty of cattle farms not far from me, imagine the farmers face if i jump the fence and start licking his cows arses!! Haha!! 😆

Pho recipe. I boil my bones for 8 hours, stick in the fridge, and the next day it's a thick, gelatinous bowl of wonder.

http://www.gourmettraveller.com.au/r...gie-hongs-pho/
That's very good recipe for Pho right there. they often add family-secret ingredients,such as dried squid, radish or some sea worm.

If you're to lick the cow, isn't its fattest area is the tiz ? ^_~

Don't lick cow. I can speak from experience - I now have a furry tongue. ynwtf needs to be taken to another place and flogged.

I made stock yesterday so I think Pho Ga is on the cards this weekend.

Don't lick cow. I can speak from experience - I now have a furry tongue. ynwtf needs to be taken to another place and flogged.

I made stock yesterday so I think Pho Ga is on the cards this weekend.
He wanted me to lick a cows arse! 😳

LOL. Dannii darling, p[lease don't take advice from that perv *cough* I mean mofo. I have alerted a task force and they will be airlifted onto his roof shortly.

LOL. Dannii darling, p[lease don't take advice from that perv *cough* I mean mofo. I have alerted a task force and they will be airlifted onto his roof shortly.
Haha!!😆 I thought we were having a nice friendly chat about cooking chickens, didn't realise he had a cow fetish!!

I've been into cooking for the past two months. Last thing I made? Sautéed carrots from the

WORLD OF WARCRAFT COOKBOOK

You heard me!

I've been into cooking for the past two months. Last thing I made? Sautéed carrots from the

WORLD OF WARCRAFT COOKBOOK

You heard me!
Whatever you do don't mention cows on the cooking thread!!