lookin for crime/horror movie about a serial child killer??

Tools    

I saw this horrifying, disturbing, pyschological movie approx. 3-4 years ago. I had never heard of it before, never saw any trailers. My boyfriend thought it was called Hollow Ground, and I do recall Ground being in the title...but since no searches came up, I don't think it is.

I'm going to just tell the plot as I remember it...it's deeply disturbing.

***SPOILERS AHEAD***

So the protagonists are detectives investigating a series of young child murders. Long, long story short, the killer is revealed to be a man who, as a child, witnesses his disabled little sister getting sexually abused by either his father or step father. One day, to save her from a life of pain, he pushes her wheelchair off a dock into the ocean. As an adult, he lures children from public places always to places with water (I remember sewers and a clue in the form of a fish tank in his home) where he kills them. In his logic, these kids that fall for his advances are liable to be lured by another type of predator, so killing them saves them in a twisted way. That really stuck with me.

Any ideas?

Shallow Ground(2004) Perhaps?

i thought that was it, too at one point but i read the plot in wikipedia and that's definitely not it. thanks for the help, though

it's could be the The Spreading Ground (2000)
I was reading user Comments on IMB, IMB don't seem to have the plot on the page.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0228891/
The plot from Yahoo
When five little girls turn up dead in the river, Detective Ed Delongpre is quickly put in charge of a full-scale investigation to track down the killer. Under pressure from Mayor Hackett to solve the case quickly, Captain Neiman hounds Ed constantly. Unbeknownst to Ed, Neiman bribed the local mafia to find and execute the killer before the police can bring him in. Hit man Johnnie Gault is assigned to lead the mafia's hunt. Ed discovers that his interest in this case will be more than personal: the mayor's right-hand helper is none other than his estranged daughter Leslie.

that's it! THANK YOU so much. i had seen this title before but like you said i couldn't find a plot summary. i hunted down a trailer and that's it. my mind can rest now after all this time of wondering

feel free to close this post or mark it as resolved if necessary

the imbd comments are true...it is a remake of the classic "M"

If you like The Spreading Ground, you'd probably like Man on a Swing, supposedly based on a true story of a small town police chief's investigation of the murder of a young girl. The policeman (Cliff Robertson) is approached by a self-proclaimed psychic (Joel Grey) who says he's had visions of the crime and proceeds to provide details that only the police--or killer--could know. The cop is suspicious--he doesn't believe in psychic powers but he can't prove anything against the guy feeding him information from his "visions." He keeps hoping he can uncover the "psychic's" connection to the crime. The ending is ambiguous, but Grey's performance is worth seeing.