Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Daft movie, but I wanted to see Toni Collette & Rachel Griffiths at the start of their respective careers & before they both got their teeth fixed.

I CONFESS
(1953, Hitchcock)

"I never thought of the priesthood as offering a hiding place."

I Confess follows Father Logan (Montgomery Clift), who finds himself in the above predicament after the housekeeper of his church confesses killing a lawyer. Unfortunately for Logan, as a result of a series of coincidences which ties him to the lawyer, he ends up as the main suspect in the eyes of relentless Inspector Larrue (Karl Malden), along with Ruth (Anne Baxter), a childhood friend of Logan that might also be tied to the lawyer in some way.

This is one of Hitchcock's lesser known films and one of those that's not as well regarded as his other work, which is probably the reason why I hadn't seen it yet. However, when writer Tony Lee Moral spoke highly of it on a past episode of the podcast, I decided to bump it up on my Hitchcock queue. The film comes at a time when Hitchcock seemed to be interested in more thematically deep films that explored the nature of man rather than more stylistic and visual exercises.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

'Falcon Lake' (2022)

Sweet little Canadien film portraying the first love and coming of age of a 14 year old. I wasn’t sure how to feel about this film initially as it does rather sexualize a young teen – but how else is the Director Charlotte Le Bon supposed to make a film about the desires of those at that age. In the end it is done very tenderly and sensitively.

The film is rather beautiful in that respect as we see Bastien who is on a family holiday, lust after Chloe who has several other, older male admirers. The film captures a lot of the excitement, adventure, awkwardness and aloofness of first encounters with love and lust at that age, as well as the stomach sickening nervousness and horror of it all.

It does though have a tiny choreographed and obvious climax but - the third act is impossible to write about without spoilers, so I won’t try.

A convincing debut from Charlotte Le Bon.

7.8/10

Not available here for streaming right now, but it’s in my Letterboxd watchlist now.

PURL
(2018, Lester)

"What I mean to say is that I can't wait to be part of the team."

Purl follows the titular character, an enthusiastic ball of yarn, as she arrives at her first day of work at investment company B.R.O. Capital (get it?... BRO) Unfortunately, the place is plagued left and right by narrow-minded male co-workers all of which look the same, dress the same, and act the same, which ends up leaving Purl a bit on the courtside.

Directed by Kristen Lester, she took inspiration on her own career journey towards Pixar where she was often the only woman; something that she described as "isolating". Purl does a pretty good job at illustrating that in a creative way, while showing the lengths that sometimes we go in order to fit in and be accepted.

Grade:

Blade Runner (1982)
Final Cut (2007 version)

I'm glad I watched it and wonder why I never happened to see it before. There's a lot that could be said about this film, so if you're a sci-fi fan you should probably check it out. Appropriate for our present time with all the AI and quantum computing right around the corner.

84/100

I forgot the opening line.

By http://24orefilm.com/wp-content/uplo...1/munich-2.jpg, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=3002302

Munich - (2005)

Munich was bound to stir up a little controversy no matter which way it leaned, but to me the film seems to be about the soul destroying capacity assassinations have on those who are tasked with them, and their ultimate futility when carried out for a political purpose. That's pretty much the message I would have hoped Munich to have, and each assassination in it has a very real feel to it. We're spared nothing, and there's probably more blood and gore in this than there is in many horror films - which makes each killing shocking, and brings home the fact there's a brutality to all of this no matter how justified the actions are. Spielberg is clever not to show us the entire reenactment of the Munich Olympics terrorist attack before the main story starts, instead doling it out in flashback style throughout the film so that the climax of that ill-fated event coincides with the movie's uncertain denouement - neither a celebration of what Israel did, nor a condemnation. Just an acknowledgement that murder is messy, and murdering destroys the soul. Really great movie - a cut above most.

9/10

By http://www.impawards.com/2018/searching_ver3.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=57367627

Searching - (2018)

The computer screen has become an integral part of our lives - at least it has for many of us, and this film is an early conceptual look at the "Screenlife" motion picture - one where all of the film's events are shown via actions and video clips on a computer screen. As a mystery it's not bad, and it showcases why a screenlife film is a good fit for the mystery genre, with little clues which pop up almost unnoticed in various windows, and Easter eggs galore via the packets of information which litter the screen. Loved the false leads that desperate father David Kim (John Cho) chases down, looking for his missing daughter, before the truth is eventually revealed - they were all convincing going by first impressions. Quite a feat to keep an audience invested for around 100 minutes without using traditional cinematic language.

7/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

THE TRAIN
(1964, Frankenheimer)

"You know what's on that train? Paintings. That's right, paintings. Art. The national heritage. The pride of France. Crazy, isn't it?"

What a pleasant surprise this film was. Not only does it manage to be both entertaining, intense, and thrilling, but there's also a certain depth to the two main characters that I really wasn't expecting from it. The film is full of masterfully staged setpieces and cracking action sequences. Director John Frankenheimer frequent use of pans and zooms, wide shots, long takes, and practical effects is amazing and effective. The whole production value of the film is top of the line.

But again, the film is so much more than great action setpieces. Frankenheimer neatly puts both lead characters – Labiche and von Waldheim – as "mirror opposites" as far as their determination goes, and the length that each of them will go to achieve their goals. There is a perfect contrast between them that goes down to the very last scene, which I found to be profound, tragic, and kick-ass at the same time, as weird as that might be.

Grade:

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2
(2017, Gunn)

"For the first time in my existence, I am truly NOT ALONE!!"

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 mostly follows this relationship, as Peter has to come to terms with his true self and the consequences it might have on the team. Meanwhile, Yondu (Michael Rooker) is tasked by Ayesha, the Golden Priestess of the Sovereign, to find the Guardians after she is slighted by them, something that Yondu takes as an opportunity to redeem himself as a Ravager and maybe something more.

This was actually the third time I watch this film, but it's the first time that I can say I enjoyed it. First time, the conditions were simply not the best, but even the second time, it really didn't hit. Not sure why, but this time the central themes were clearer for me and, although I still think it has its flaws, I really appreciated it more.

Grade:

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
BREAKING: Minio watched a normie movie!

Overboard (1987) -

Well, the film's title is not lying. They really went overboard on that one. I mean, in the first third of it. And even the first third wasn't great. Stuff like this isn't funny when it's not directed by Jing Wong. And the movie certainly deep-dives into the worst cliches of the American rom-com territory in its last third. The middle has lots of annoying kids. It wasn't the worst movie ever made, but I seriously hoped that the low ratings come just from people pissed off with it being non-PC. But apparently, it's mostly people seeing it as a subpar film and being right. Maybe if Billy Wilder directed it...
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Two evenings ago, I caught on the national television this classic. It was probably my third or even fourth view of the movie (first time more than two decades ago).

Two Men in Town (1973)

Directed by José Giovanni
Starring Alain Delon and Jean Gabin

One of the last Gabin appearances. He is outstanding here. Of course, Delon aura adds everything needed for a movie.
It is about very painful problem about the system, directly exposed here. Decades later, they have something of this in Dancer in the Dark (2000).

83/100

Earth Girls Are Easy (1989)

This movie suffers from some technical difficulties, mainly the sound, but it isnt that bad. I remember it playing constantly on cable TV in the mid to late 90s but I didnt really see the whole thing back then. You cant help but think it needed one more notch of quality in there to up the score. Everything about this movie is pure 80s if you wanna check out what that looks like.

60/100
Haven't seen that film, but I've liked both G. Davis and Jeff G. in roles that I've seen them in, especially Goldblum. I always thought those two made an attractive couple, but Hyd being what it is.... Davis has the greatest smile since Sally Kellerman's!

I CONFESS
(1953, Hitchcock)

I Confess follows Father Logan (Montgomery Clift), who finds himself in the above predicament after the housekeeper of his church confesses killing a lawyer. Unfortunately for Logan, as a result of a series of coincidences which ties him to the lawyer, he ends up as the main suspect in the eyes of relentless Inspector Larrue (Karl Malden), along with Ruth (Anne Baxter), a childhood friend of Logan that might also be tied to the lawyer in some way.

This is one of Hitchcock's lesser known films and one of those that's not as well regarded as his other work, which is probably the reason why I hadn't seen it yet. However, when writer Tony Lee Moral spoke highly of it on a past episode of the podcast, I decided to bump it up on my Hitchcock queue. The film comes at a time when Hitchcock seemed to be interested in more thematically deep films that explored the nature of man rather than more stylistic and visual exercises.

Grade:

Yeah, I think this is one of Hitchcock's most underrated films. It's actually quite good. It's unusual having been shot in Canada-- Quebec City, with some nice typically Hitchcockian famous city landmarks.

But Hitchcock had already started to be known as a master of suspense, and there really was not much suspense in this picture. I think Montgomery Clift was a genuine weirdo, but he turned in a fine performance in this one. Anne Baxter and Karl Malden didn't hurt the picture either.. Altogether I think it was a very well done film, but just not typical Hitchcock.

BREAKING: Minio watched a normie movie!

Overboard (1987) -

Well, the film's title is not lying. They really went overboard on that one. I mean, in the first third of it. And even the first third wasn't great. Stuff like this isn't funny when it's not directed by Jing Wong. And the movie certainly deep-dives into the worst cliches of the American rom-com territory in its last third. The middle has lots of annoying kids. It wasn't the worst movie ever made, but I seriously hoped that the low ratings come just from people pissed off with it being non-PC. But apparently, it's mostly people seeing it as a subpar film and being right. Maybe if Billy Wilder directed it...

What made you do this?

Yeah, I think this is one of Hitchcock's most underrated films. It's actually quite good. It's unusual having been shot in Canada-- Quebec City, with some nice typically Hitchcockian famous city landmarks.

But Hitchcock had already started to be known as a master of suspense, and there really was not much suspense in this picture. I think Montgomery Clift was a genuine weirdo, but he turned in a fine performance in this one. Anne Baxter and Karl Malden didn't hurt the picture either.. Altogether I think it was a very well done film, but just not typical Hitchcock.
Yeah, I think it might've been a bit of growing pains as he got used to this more realistic approach to his stories and characters, something which he perfected later with The Wrong Man and especially Vertigo.

I forgot the opening line.

By [1], Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=24583384

Avanti! - (1972)

I've often felt myself divided when it comes to Billy Wilder - I absolutely love his serious stuff, but when it comes to his much-heralded comedic films they consistently fail to tickle me in the way they should. Avanti! isn't as farcical as the likes of Some Like it Hot or The Seven Year Itch, and that makes it a little easier for me to handle - but that's not to say it doesn't get a little silly now and then. Overall it's a really pleasant film, and the natural chemistry between the likes of Jack Lemmon and Juliet Mills helps a lot. Wendell Armbruster Jr. (Lemmon) has arrived on the Italian island of Ischia to collect the body of his father, and along with all of the red tape comes the daughter of his father's lover, Pamela Piggott (Mills) whom Armbruster knew nothing about - his father died in a car accident with said lover, and both have come for the same reason. In spite of his gruffness and rude manner, the two grow closer the longer their entanglement at the Grand Hotel Excelsior continues - and they find themselves following a similar path to what their parents did. I can't help but enjoy the performances, and the parts that were filmed on Ischia, Sorrento, Capri and the Amalfi Coast - beautiful places that have the added interest of having histories that go back thousands of years. Some jokes fell flat for me, but some were appreciated and overall this is a breezy clash of cultures and love story that's very easy to watch.

7.5/10

By http://www.impawards.com/2001/jeepers_creepers.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=2804523

Jeepers Creepers - (2001)

Jeepers. I remembered really liking this horror film going way back, and it held up again for most of it's first two-thirds. Trish (Gina Philips) and Darry Jenner (Justin Long) have a run in with an old, rusty death-car out in the Florida countryside, and notice that when it stops at a property, the "person" operating it is unloading a batch of what looks like fresh corpses. They go investigate, of course - and Darry goes the extra mile (with the audience screaming at him I'd think) and trundles all the way into a monster's lair with preserved bodies decorating a cavern of horror - walls and ceiling included. Best. Lair. Ever. To say a lot more would be giving away what's behind this - but just let me say that I think the movie would have been better if the villain remained more in the shadows, and less revealed. The reveal often makes or breaks a horror film, and with the promising lead up this one had I think our imagination could have filled many blanks better than make-up effects artists.

6/10