The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Wow, two a day that's a lot. I average one a day or approximately 325 a year. I don't log my movie watches but I do know I've seen at least 414 films from the 2010s, I posted them here Not many of them made the countdown which is fine by me, I watch what I like and I guess it's not the most popular films.
Not many made the countdown? There are loads there that made it.

So the question is now, what's the next countdown, someone should make a thread about it or unless @Yoda has that all planned out.

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Mad Max Fury Road was my number 3. Best action movie I've ever seen. Best stunts, best chases, best cinematography. I love how the camera is always moving, putting you right in the middle of everything and those colors! Wow! Explosions never looked so good. Story is alright.

Had a few Asian films in my top 25 - none were called Parasite.

1. Whiplash (2014) #4
2. The Wailing (2016) DNP

3. Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) #2
4. Zero Dark Thirty (2012) #58
5. Birdman (2014) #21
6. I Saw the Devil (2010) DNP

7. The Raid (2011) #100
8. Sinister (2012) DNP

9. Inside Out (2015) #59
10. Bone Tomahawk (2015) DNP

11. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019) #7
12. One Cut of the Dead (2017) DNP

13. It's Such a Beautiful Day (2012) #16
14. The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) #3
15. True Grit (2010) #40
16. Hereditary (2018) #96
17. The Big Short (2015) DNP

18. The Witch (2015) #91
19. Margin Call (2011) DNP

20. Sicario (2015) #36
21. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011) DNP

22. Interstellar (2014) #33
23. Django Unchained (2012) #27
24. Life of Pi (2012) DNP

25. Coherence (2013) DNP

First Cuts/ Just Missed/ Was Considering:
Moonrise Kingdom, 12 Years a Slave, The Fighter, Drive, You Were Never Really Here, The Town, I Tonya, Hugo, Fences, Brooklyn, Brawl in Cell Block 99, Captain America:Winter Soldier, The Hunt, Predestination

Thank you @SpelingError for hosting!

You did one helluva job! You made this countdown fun. You were efficient & professional and set that hosting bar sky high! I loved your Movie Group Watch idea That has got to be one of the best ideas I've seen implemented on MoFo since I joined. I hope other host will continue that Group Watch idea. Thanks Speling you have my respect.

Also, I threw together a fun little tool to streamline the post-countdown sharing process (and alleviate the post-countdown depression):

Your Ballot Results

You can do a couple of things with this:
  • See all your films and where they ranked (NOTE: does not handle tiebreakers, so it's just a general range for some). Threw in some little stats about how many made various cutoffs, and automatically calculated each person's highest and lowest-ranked entry.
  • Easily grab some bbCode you can copy and paste into a post to share your ballot.

This is incredible. Thanks Yoda!

And....a big thanks to Yoda for all that behind the scenes countdown stuff that I know must take a ton of time and effort! I know of no other web site where the administrator is cool enough and cares enough to actively participate and give so much of their time just so the members can have fun...and MoFo is indeed fun! I don't want to sound too sappy but I think of MoFo as one big community and as my internet home...That's largely thanks to you. Thanks so much!

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Quite the undertaking, amazing work on that list and the time involved in it. My goodness!!
Very cool to see Mad Max Fury Road so high and my number one pick Blade Runner 2049 in the top 10. I haven't gone through each one to see which of mine didn't make the list, but quite a few I think. Here's my submission:

1. Blade Runner 2049 (2017)
2. Drive (2011)
3. Melancholia (2011)
4. The Hunt (2012)
5. Ain't Them Bodies Saints (2013)
6. Locke (2014)
7. A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (2014)
8. The Rover (2014)
9. The Hateful Eight (2015)
10. The Witch (2015)
11. The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)
12. Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)
13. You Were Never Really Here (2018)
14. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (2018)
15. The Irishman (2019)
16. Midsommar (2019)
17. Phantom Thread (2017)
18. Hail, Caesar! (2016)
19. Macbeth (2015)
20. Snowpiercer (2013)
21. The Master (2012)
22. Silence (2016)
23. The Revenant (2015)
24. The King (2019)
25. Two Days, One Night (2014)

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
This countdown was enjoyable experience!

The host @SpelingError has proceeded the whole festival very skillfully, as well as its preliminary threads!

And this is a great addition, superb tool:

Also, I threw together a fun little tool to streamline the post-countdown sharing process (and alleviate the post-countdown depression):

Your Ballot Results

• See all your films and where they ranked (NOTE: does not handle tiebreakers, so it's just a general range for some). Threw in some little stats about how many made various cutoffs, and automatically calculated each person's highest and lowest-ranked entry.
  • Easily grab some bbCode you can copy and paste into a post to share your ballot.

Your Ballot Results

Thanks for this, I had fun looking at it. Most of my movies sunk big time in the rankings only 4 movies made the list.

Parasite is my #7. Just an all around masterfully written and directed movie.

Mad Max: Fury Road left me underwhelmed tbh. Tried watching it twice, couldn't get into it.

Even Max himself is incredibly boring, and a huge waste of Tom Hardy as an actor. He's relegated to pretty much nothing but a series of grunts, and whenever he speaks he doesn't have much of significance to say anyway. It's like they sucked all the depth and nuance they possibly could out of the character, which became even more noticeable for me years later when I got around to watching the first movie with Mel Gibson.
This is pretty much how I felt, with an emphasis on the bolded, which is why it is tied for my 3rd-favorite Mad Max film and, honestly, is probably just 4th.
I didn't mind at all that they transitioned from Max to Furiosa as the protagonist because Theron was great as always and given something to do. But Max was just dull. If that's all he was gonna say or do, why even get Hardy to play him, almost any competent actor would have done.
But putting the first film aside, where Max is still a normal, family man, I didn't really see much of a difference between Gibson and Hardy's portrayals. After the events of the first one, Max pretty much becomes the hardened, stoic wanderer that rarely emotes, and is reluctantly dragged into this or that conflict; something that can be equated to, say, The Man with No Name...? That said, I do think that Hardy, like Gibson in Parts 2 and 3, does show some "slight" emotion as we see the character understand the struggle of those he's helping.

Had I remembered to re-watch The Man from Nowhere and The Revenant, I would have put them on my ballot, and these films would have been a little higher on the list.

1) Broken (2012)
A nice borrow from To Kill a Mockingbird where they split the character of Boo Radley in two people.
2) All Governments Lie: truth, deception, and the spirit of I.F. Stone (2016)
3) A Touch of Sin (2013)
4) 20th Century Woman (2016)
5) I am not your Negro (2016)
6) Rust and Bone (2012)
7) The Wild Pear Tree (2018)
A young man writes his first novel.
8) Beast (2017)
9) Indignation (2016)
10) Force Majeure (2014)

11) Burning (#35) (2018)
12) Miss Bala (2011)
13) Win Win (2011)
14) The Ghost Writer (2010)
15) A Hidden Life (2019)
A great story of profound moral courage.
16) The Florida Project (#14) (2017)
17) Keep an eye out (2018)
18) ‘71 (2017)
19) Certified Copy (#84) (2010)
20) Tracks (2013)

21) Don’t Breathe (2016)
The typical mainstream audience has been trained to identify with the hero then sit back and enjoy the ride, something these filmmakers know in every perverted bone in their bodies. The great trick of this film is that there is no one the viewer is willing to identify with, so the audience spends the entire film latching onto each new character as they come along (sometimes several times) only to drop them once they become too . . . icky. A brilliant cinematic exercise in wandering empathy.
22) House of Hummingbird (2018)
23) Our Little Sister (2015)
This is like the cinematic equivalent of a hug. A nice addition to the director’s patented personal theme of exploring abandonment. I loved that the city’s most famous son is never mentioned.
24) The Overnighters (2014)
25) Gone Girl (#65) (2014)

Full ballot.
I liked how at various stages these films were either knocked out of, nudged off, and near the end, slowly squeezed from the final list.

26) Transit (2018)
Last to be bumped. By simply transposing a story set in the late 30s to the world of today, all the precursors and markers of fascism come into sharp focus.
27) Love at First Fight (2014)
She's got mad survival skills but people dumb, her would be boyfriend gets along naturally with everyone.
28) Ida (2013)
29) The Handmaiden (2016)

30) Byzantium (2012)
This is a glorious hunk of Swiss cheese riddled with plot holes and continuity errors. The lady is over 230 years old but she still hasn’t got her HSE. Gemma Arterton is probably the world’s premier lingerie actress, I’m just going to say during the awards season that year: SHE WAS ROBBED FOR BEST ACTRESS COUNTLESS TIMES!
31) Happy People: A Year in the Taiga (2010)
I liked the one trapper thought getting attached to your dogs was just plain silly, they are work tools. Although later in the film he reveals, the two best dogs he ever had, took on a grizzly when it wandered into the village, and were mauled to death defending it.
32) The Square (2017)
33) Blue Valentine (2010)
34) Lean on Pete (2017)
35) Senna (2010)
36) Paterson (2016)
37) Headhunters (2011)

Thanks to @SpelingError and @Yoda for running this! Thanks to all who contributed. Thanks to everyone for putting up with my vague posts about liking and not liking movies.

But now it's time for the airing of grievances.

Actually most of my list made it so I can't be too salty.

1. Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)
2. Get Out (2017)
3. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (2010)
4. One Cut of the Dead (2017) This movie is just too cool to make it anyway.
5. Shin Godzilla (2016) Everyone go watch this and then we'll redo the countdown.
6. The Cabin in the Woods (2012)
7. It Follows (2015)
8. The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)
9. Dredd (2012)
10. The Raid 2 (2014)
11. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019)
12. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)
13. What We Do in the Shadows (2014)
14. Attack the Block (2011)
15. Toy Story 3 (2010)
16. The Edge of Seventeen (2016)
17. Thor: Ragnarok (2017) This is the most entertaining and rewatchable MCU movie and I thought it was popular enough to make the countdown but I guess not.
18. Uncut Gems (2019)
19. Parasite (2019)
20. John Wick (2014)
21. The Witch (2015)
22. 13 Assassins (2010) I keep forgetting I put this on here so I can't blame anyone else for not voting for it but it is great.
23. Inception (2010)
24. The Invitation (2015)
25. Revenge (2017) 1 pointer

And a quick note about John Wick. I rewatched the trilogy recently and 2 is definitely my favorite. So I kinda regret not putting 2 on instead of the first one.

Victim of The Night
But putting the first film aside, where Max is still a normal, family man, I didn't really see much of a difference between Gibson and Hardy's portrayals. After the events of the first one, Max pretty much becomes the hardened, stoic wanderer that rarely emotes, and is reluctantly dragged into this or that conflict; something that can be equated to, say, The Man with No Name...? That said, I do think that Hardy, like Gibson in Parts 2 and 3, does show some "slight" emotion as we see the character understand the struggle of those he's helping.
I don't necessarily agree but you're making me wonder if it's actually Hardy's fault. To me, in Road Warrior and Thunderdome, Max has charisma and conveys feeling, savvy, even a bit of charm and seems to always be scheming and planning... I don't know I just didn't get any of that from this Max. And that may have been intentional by Miller so as not to overshadow or take too much attention away from Furiosa but, man, it really took the air out of the movie for me.
Additionally, while I liked the look of Immortan Joe and really appreciated that they got my favorite Max villain, Toecutter, to come back and be Immortan Joe, I just really didn't feel like there was enough of Immortan Joe for me to care much.

I don't necessarily agree but you're making me wonder if it's actually Hardy's fault. To me, in Road Warrior and Thunderdome, Max has charisma and conveys feeling, savvy, even a bit of charm and seems to always be scheming and planning... I don't know I just didn't get any of that from this Max. And that may have been intentional by Miller so as not to overshadow or take too much attention away from Furiosa but, man, it really took the air out of the movie for me.
Additionally, while I liked the look of Immortan Joe and really appreciated that they got my favorite Max villain, Toecutter, to come back and be Immortan Joe, I just really didn't feel like there was enough of Immortan Joe for me to care much.
I think Hardy portrays a nice little transformation of Max throughout the film. At the beginning he’s barely a person, he’s like a feral animal. And the more he helps and gets involved the more human he becomes, until at the end when
WARNING: spoilers below
he gets truly emotional saving Furiosa’s life and telling her his name. His arc of returning to the living world is complete.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
1. Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)
2. The Social Network (2010)
3. Parasite (2019)
4. Inception (2010)
5. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)
6. The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)
7. Get Out (2017)
8. What We Do in the Shadows (2014)
9. Nightcrawler (2014)
10. Paddington 2 (2017)
11. Sing Street (2016)
12. Spotlight (2015)
13. Toy Story 3 (2010)
14. The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)
15. Her (2013)
16. Pride (2014)
17. Shutter Island (2010)
18. Prisoners (2013)
19. The Imposter (2012)
20. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (2010)
21. Green Room (2015)
22. Interstellar (2014)
23. Ex Machina (2015)
24. The Avengers (2012)
25. The Cabin in the Woods (2012)

Paddington 2 - This one hurts MoFos. Paddington and Paddington 2 are genuine, two of the most feel-good, well-directed, and awesome movies to come out in the last decade. I have a constant smile on my face from beginning to end with both movies. I opted to go with Paddington 2 which had Hugh Grant play the over-the-top theatre villain. This movie is too good to not be on a list like this while a few MCU movies seem a bit too populated.

Sing Street - I knew this one would not make it but I really love the film. It has toe-tapping music, a love letter to the era of the 80s, and a cute relationship at the centre.

Pride - A film I feel that not too many people know about and people who have seen it think it's "pretty good". I wanted to spread the love and give it some points.

The Imposter - I wanted some documentaries on my list and this one is the one that stands out the most to me. Shocking to say the least.

Green Room - I wanted to get some horror/thrillers represented on the list. I thought this 'might' have had an outside chance of being between 100-90. When it didn't show up, I knew this violent thriller wasn't going to make it. Stewart is bone-chillingly good as the villain.

Suspect's Reviews

I don't necessarily agree but you're making me wonder if it's actually Hardy's fault. To me, in Road Warrior and Thunderdome, Max has charisma and conveys feeling, savvy, even a bit of charm and seems to always be scheming and planning... I don't know I just didn't get any of that from this Max.
I felt the same way, but I don't like Tom Hardy so I don't think he really had a shot at impressing me anyway.

I don't find him and his mumbling as irritating now as I did the last time I saw Fury Road however, so maybe I should give it a rewatch. I do own it on Blu-Ray for some reason.