The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame

Tools    

F for Fake 1973 ‘Vérités et Mensonges’ Directed by Orson Welles

A video essay and an intimate philosophy session with Orson Welles. Not really a documentary but more of an art piece. Orson Welles trying out a new form of film making and storytelling. A re-editing exhibition done by Welles himself.

Can't go into plot or what it's about at all, you really have find out / interpret this one yourself.
There are a few things I can go into and really loved about this 'artwork';

It's packed with beautiful artful shots and locations like 1970’s Ibiza and the epic Chartres cathedral in France. Really enjoyed Orson Welles narrative voice here. He's right up there with some of my favorite narrative voices like; Morgan Freeman, Cate Blanchet, Sir David Attenborough, Frederick MacMurray (Double Indemnity) and Dick Powell (Murder my Sweet) to name a few. There are many great quotable lines and pearls of wisdom spread throughout the whole thing.

The Last Picture Show director Peter Bogdanovich said about this film;

"If you fight it and expect a linear kind of thing then you're not going to enjoy it.
If you're a willing participant it takes you someplace great."

I agree with Peter here, and I can say i'm one the viewers that experienced this as great.
Very curious which artful mofo nominated this and how she/he knew I would like it.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
F for Fake 1973 ‘Vérités et Mensonges’ Directed by Orson Welles

A video essay and an intimate philosophy session with Orson Welles. Not really a documentary but more of an art piece. Orson Welles trying out a new form of film making and storytelling. A re-editing exhibition done by Welles himself.

Can't go into plot or what it's about at all, you really have find out / interpret this one yourself.
There are a few things I can go into and really loved about this 'artwork';

It's packed with beautiful artful shots and locations like 1970’s Ibiza and the epic Chartres cathedral in France. Really enjoyed Orson Welles narrative voice here. He's right up there with some of my favorite narrative voices like; Morgan Freeman, Cate Blanchet, Sir David Attenborough, Frederick MacMurray (Double Indemnity) and Dick Powell (Murder my Sweet) to name a few. There are many great quotable lines and pearls of wisdom spread throughout the whole thing.

The Last Picture Show director Peter Bogdanovich said about this film;

"If you fight it and expect a linear kind of thing then you're not going to enjoy it.
If you're a willing participant it takes you someplace great."

I agree with Peter here, and I can say i'm one the viewers that experienced this as great.
Very curious which artful mofo nominated this and how she/he knew I would like it.

Haven't seen it yet but that has CR written all over it

Yes, that was my initial reaction too, but he surprisingly nominated the excellent Galaxy Quest for me .

Seems like it would be me, but nope. I admired F for Fake but it's more experimental art, so it's cool but hard to rate against movies.

The trick is not minding
Maybe I would join something like this if I could do a foreign film. I got a very very good one in mind.
There’s plenty of foreign films available to pick from the various lists provided, but if your particular pick isn’t included in it, I’ll remind you of the HOF thats regularly held where you could always nominate it.

There’s plenty of foreign films available to pick from the various lists provided, but if your particular pick isn’t included in it, I’ll remind you of the HOF thats regularly held where you could always nominate it.
I rarely participate anyway. @Citizen Rules and I host the 80s teen HOFs.

the narrow margin ruled. the platonic ideal of the lean and mean b-noir. a moving train is just about the best setting in all of cinema and richard fleischer uses it well, cleverly evoking the claustrophobia of the narrow, pseudo-labyrinthine corridors in which characters are constantly opening doors of which they can never be certain who is on the other side. and the kineticism of the constant forward motion. the whole film is an exercise in building tension economically, and fleischer has plenty of filmmaking tricks up his sleeve, such as the way he uses reflection at the end or the propulsion of the train itself. there's a particularly memorable cut in which the sound of marie windsor filing her nails turns into the sound of the train chugging along the tracks. the way he uses the car driving alongside the tracks to play with perspective and location at the climax is also masterful. he also films one of the more visceral hand-to-hand brawls i've seen from the 1950s. the whole cast really brings it, with mcgraw giving just the right amount of intensity to his take on the no-nonsense detective, and windsor is quite good as the subversion of the femme fatale. haven't seen a lot of reviews mention jacqueline white's performance, but she's quite charming and i think is just as good as anybody here. great movie, it's been on my radar for a while, but i probably wouldn't have gotten around to watching it for a long time so i'm glad it was nominated.

+
criticker

Yahoo! I watched another one...and here's what I thought...

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943)

This was a good movie choice for me. I had planned on watching it anyway, so thanks to whoever chose it. Choosing a film is a gamble and in this case, sorry to say the gamble didn't pay off.

I just plain didn't like this. I was so bored in the first 30 minutes that I didn't know how in the world I could make it through the full 2 hours and 43 minutes. Well I did of course and luckily the film got more interesting as it went, starting with the sword duel.

I general don't like this type of British dry humor, and it didn't help that I couldn't make out half of the dialogue either. The accents were to hard for me to pick up. And the scenes went on and on and on and on and well you get it...they went on a long time. It's like this was 90 minutes of story stretched out to nearly 3 hours. And all to deliver the 5 minute war message that: Nazis are bad and the British better fight dirty or they won't win the war. I did at least find the historical aspects of that message interesting and the makeup was first class too.

There's has been British comedy-dramas that warm the heart while they entertain such as Goodbye Mr Chips...but The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp didn't do a thing for me. Sorry to whoever picked this, it was a good guess, but just didn't pan out.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	MV5BNDQzZmMxMGQtYzAyMy00NjU4LWJjMjItYThkZTQzOGI1OTU1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTI3MDk3MzQ@._V1_.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	62342  

Although I loved The Narrow Margin, I thought it was an odd and random choice for Inmate. It turns out the person who nominated it knew what they were doing.

I also loved Colonel Blimp and I thought it was a great choice for CR.

Shows how much I know

Although I loved The Narrow Margin, I thought it was an odd and random choice for Inmate. It turns out the person who nominated it knew what they were doing.

I also loved Colonel Blimp and I thought it was a great choice for CR.

Shows how much I know
I have you to blame? Ha
I had really planned on watching this for years, so glad to have had the motivation. Odd movie though, you loved it? I wouldn't have guess that.

I have you to blame? Ha
I had really planned on watching this for years, so glad to have had the motivation. Odd movie though, you loved it? I wouldn't have guess that.
I think it made it onto my 40's ballot but I don't remember for sure. Either way, don't blame me! Nobody has guessed me correctly yet, but I know it will happen.

I think it made it onto my 40's ballot but I don't remember for sure. Either way, don't blame me! Nobody has guessed me correctly yet, but I know it will happen.
OK

Oh and I just realized that I was the one who picked The Narrow Margin for Inmate. I figured when in doubt go with a noir.

Hotel Rwanda (2004)

I was glad to have this nominated for me. I've always wanted to see it but it just never made it to the top of the list. I enjoyed it a lot, I really did, but I don't think it's close to great.

I love Don Cheadle as he's one of my favorite character actors of the last 30 years. I don't know if he can carry a movie like this the way he needed to and I'm not sure it's his fault. It didn't seem completely authentic and I think it had a lot to do with the accent. I believe the movie would have been better with an unknown lead, ala Ben Kingsley when Gandhi came out. I also believe for the movie to be great, the lead performance had to be amazing, also like the aforementioned Kingsley. I understand that Cheadle was nominated for best actor, but I didn't see it. I thought the supporting cast was fine but without any standouts.

The big problem was the director. Whoever he is, he should be directing Lifetime movies because that's what I saw the production value as equal to. Hotel Rwanda is set in Africa. It should look incredible and it doesn't at all. It just looks merely average. The worst part was the musical score. I thought it was overbearing and inappropriate, more suited for a Steven Spielberg movie. Speaking of Steven Spielberg, this movie is on the top 100 Cheers list, and after watching the way it was done, I get it. I just think the story is way too horrific for it to end up that way, even if the focus of the story ended well. I mean, something like a million people were slaughtered. That's nothing to cheer about. Anyway it's the true life story that made me enjoy the movie quite a bit despite what I see as multiple important shortcomings. It is intense and heartbreaking.

+

Fargo (1996)
My guess: I'm lost at this point, I've forgotten who has confirmed and who hasn't lmao, so uh... Captain Spaulding!

Before Fargo, I had yet to see the Coen Brothers on their true comedic side. Fargo being my fourth, the other three have been Blood Simple, No Country for Old Men, and the Ballad of Buster Scruggs. Ballad has comedic touches, and I did laugh a couple times, but Blood Simple and No Country are the Coens at their blackest and grimmest.

And to see that style mixed with their delightful comedic writing makes for a masterpiece. Every character in this film just oozes with personality and uniqueness, a delightful flavor that makes everyone pop out to you. In another thriller with the same story directed by a lesser director, I might have forgotten the characters, gotten confused about the plot, and gotten - frankly - bored.

But the Coens are brilliant. At barely over an hour and a half (including credits), there is no dilly-dallying. We get concise, wonderfully constructed scenes that flow perfectly. There are a ton of characters to balance, but it is balanced effortlessly. The dialogue is snappy! The scenes are concise! Am I starting to sound like a broken record? Yes! But that's okay because this was amazing!

Set aside the ingenuity and stunning polished craft itself, and you get a marvelous analysis into themes the Coen Brothers seem to touch on a lot - the morality of crime, making decisions, fate and how it plays into our lives, and the often inevitability of death. While it's a "light" movie, there are seriously dark and gripping themes underneath the surface. At the heart is the moral dilemma that Jerry Lundegaard faces. He's a nice enough guy, sort of nervous, fidgety. He's not "evil" by any means. Yet he causes all the bloodshed in the film, whether intentionally or not.

There are scenes when we sort of sympathize with Jerry, and other moments when we want someone to just shoot him already. However, did he need the money? Was his plan that "evil"? And does it matter when innocent people died from it? As I said, Fargo masks all these themes in "Minnesota nice" and "Yah"s and huge midwestern buffets. But it also doesn't give us easy answers to its underlying questions about morality and mortality.

This cinematographer dude, pretty damn good. Wonder if he'll ever win an Oscar?? But yeah, Deakins is the man, proves his genius once again with sweeping, long distance shots of icy Minnesota, and fantastic use of blood in contrast with the snow.

Also, I would PAY to have Marge/Frances McDormand come interrogate me for a couple hours... one of the sweetest, most likable Coen characters out there!

+

This is in my Coen top three for me. Number one is whichever of the three I've seen most recently. Right after I saw it for the first time I recommended it to my Ma. Told it was fantastic and really funny. She watches it, really likes it but didn't think it was funny. Then she starts telling a friend of hers about it and as she's relaying the story she starts laughing and says to her friend "Maybe it was funny. I have to watch it again." Now she gets the humor. It's dark. It's one of those great films that has you laughing at all the wrong things/moments.

The trick is not minding
I’m one of the few who has never liked Fargo since it was first released on vhs more then 20 years ago. I’ve watched it multiple times over the years in an attempt to see if maybe it ever clicks for me but after about 4 watches I’ve decided I just don’t like it. 🤷

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Fargo (1996)
My guess: I'm lost at this point, I've forgotten who has confirmed and who hasn't lmao, so uh... Captain Spaulding!

Before Fargo, I had yet to see the Coen Brothers on their true comedic side. Fargo being my fourth, the other three have been Blood Simple, No Country for Old Men, and the Ballad of Buster Scruggs. Ballad has comedic touches, and I did laugh a couple times, but Blood Simple and No Country are the Coens at their blackest and grimmest.

And to see that style mixed with their delightful comedic writing makes for a masterpiece. Every character in this film just oozes with personality and uniqueness, a delightful flavor that makes everyone pop out to you. In another thriller with the same story directed by a lesser director, I might have forgotten the characters, gotten confused about the plot, and gotten - frankly - bored.

But the Coens are brilliant. At barely over an hour and a half (including credits), there is no dilly-dallying. We get concise, wonderfully constructed scenes that flow perfectly. There are a ton of characters to balance, but it is balanced effortlessly. The dialogue is snappy! The scenes are concise! Am I starting to sound like a broken record? Yes! But that's okay because this was amazing!

Set aside the ingenuity and stunning polished craft itself, and you get a marvelous analysis into themes the Coen Brothers seem to touch on a lot - the morality of crime, making decisions, fate and how it plays into our lives, and the often inevitability of death. While it's a "light" movie, there are seriously dark and gripping themes underneath the surface. At the heart is the moral dilemma that Jerry Lundegaard faces. He's a nice enough guy, sort of nervous, fidgety. He's not "evil" by any means. Yet he causes all the bloodshed in the film, whether intentionally or not.

There are scenes when we sort of sympathize with Jerry, and other moments when we want someone to just shoot him already. However, did he need the money? Was his plan that "evil"? And does it matter when innocent people died from it? As I said, Fargo masks all these themes in "Minnesota nice" and "Yah"s and huge midwestern buffets. But it also doesn't give us easy answers to its underlying questions about morality and mortality.

This cinematographer dude, pretty damn good. Wonder if he'll ever win an Oscar?? But yeah, Deakins is the man, proves his genius once again with sweeping, long distance shots of icy Minnesota, and fantastic use of blood in contrast with the snow.

Also, I would PAY to have Marge/Frances McDormand come interrogate me for a couple hours... one of the sweetest, most likable Coen characters out there!

+
Very happy to hear you enjoyed it, ahwell!! I was hoping it would have been up your alley for enjoyment.

This is one of my favorites for the Coen Brothers, even the TV series was excellent.
This is in my Coen top three for me. Number one is whichever of the three I've seen most recently. Right after I saw it for the first time I recommended it to my Ma. Told it was fantastic and really funny. She watches it, really likes it but didn't think it was funny. Then she starts telling a friend of hers about it and as she's relaying the story she starts laughing and says to her friend "Maybe it was funny. I have to watch it again." Now she gets the humor. It's dark. It's one of those great films that has you laughing at all the wrong things/moments.
LOL
Now THAT is a typical Coen response FROM a Coen film!

Hotel Rwanda (2004)

I was glad to have this nominated for me.

Anyway it's the true life story that made me enjoy the movie quite a bit despite what I see as multiple important shortcomings. It is intense and heartbreaking.

+
I'm surprised you didn't like it better. I've only seen it once so I can't comment on the technical aspects of it. But I can comment on what you said:

The big problem was the director. Whoever he is, he should be directing Lifetime movies because that's what I saw the production value as equal to. Hotel Rwanda is set in Africa. It should look incredible and it doesn't at all. It just looks merely average.
I would think a fancy cinamatography style that looked incredible would be ill suited to the subject matter. It should IMO look like a documentary with hand held camera and close range shots. But like I said I haven't seen it in ages, so I'm only speculating.
The worst part was the musical score. I thought it was overbearing and inappropriate, more suited for a Steven Spielberg movie.
I don't remember the score, but I would totally agree that a movie like this should have an understated score, or mostly no scoring at all.

this movie is on the top 100 Cheers list, and after watching the way it was done, I get it. I just think the story is way too horrific for it to end up that way, even if the focus of the story ended well. I mean, something like a million people were slaughtered. That's nothing to cheer about.
That's weird, it should not be on 100 Cheers list. Did you happen to have the DVD with extras, if so I highly recommend watching them as the full story of the racial genocide in Rwanda is something that's very important and yet most of the world doesn't know about it.

Fargo # 211 on my all time list, top 3 Coen movie with The Man Who Wasn’t There and No Country for Old Men, also big fan of the series which is starting again April 19.