A female directors thread, because why not.

Tools    

I love the Little Women story and have seen every movie made about it, and there's been a lot. I was so bored with the 2019 version that I must have checked the time remaining, a dozen times. I think Greata literally copied the 94 movie and then in the editing room rearranged the scenes to make it look like she had some sort of originality. It's true that I'm not a fan of out of sequence movies, it seems like a fad thing to do.
Have you seen Lady Bird? That's even better than Little Women and proves to me that Gerwig is one of the best directors working today. Her next project is... a Barbie movie

Have you seen Lady Bird? That's even better than Little Women and proves to me that Gerwig is one of the best directors working today. Her next project is... a Barbie movie
No, I haven't seen that one, but I was thinking about checking it out.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
To be honest if you are talking about just a casual conversation with non-movie buff, they don't even know Kurosawa is. So in that regard, Varda and Kurosawa are at the same level popularity-wise. Leone, a lot of people know coz of his westerns. So just coz a casual watcher doesn't know who they are, doesn't diminish them by any means. And a lot of it may just be down to gender, although I would not like to think so.
But I thought that people liked the movies for the movies themselves, rather than the gender of the the director. If Seven Samurai, and The Good, the Bad, and The Ugly, were direct by women for example, wouldn't those movies be just as popular, regardless of the director's gender?

But I thought that people liked the movies for the movies themselves, rather than the gender of the the director. If Seven Samurai, and The Good, the Bad, and The Ugly, were direct by women for example, wouldn't those movies be just as popular, regardless of the director's gender?
But that’s not how life works. If they were directed by someone else - man or woman, just any different person - they would be very different movies.

No, I haven't seen that one, but I was thinking about checking it out.
I thought Ladybird was not bad, but again, for me it lacked excitement... even with teenager-led films, there’s Ladybird, and then there’s Donnie Darko...

I thought Ladybird was not bad, but again, for me it lacked excitement... even with teenager-led films, there’s Ladybird, and then there’s Donnie Darko...
Wow, the Gerwig hate needs to stop, she's a queen!!!

Lady Bird is also in my top 50 movies, and the 2019 Little Women in my top 100. I think Little Women brought a lot of modern appeal to the story, made it warm and loving, definitely one of the most personal experiences I've had at the theater.

Gerwig also co-wrote Frances Ha, so I sorta credit her for it. That's her "best" movie in my opinion, one of my all time favs.

Ida Lupino

Mostly known for acting but also a good director. Her most well known film would probably be The Hitchhiker (1953), about two ordinary men who are at the mercy of a mere man with a gun.
I liked The Hitchhiker, I felt it delved into themes of a very weird human concept, how a weakling can become the most powerful being imaginable with a heavy piece of metal.

Also to note she directed an episode of 'The Twilight Zone' called 'The Masks'

(emphasis mine).

What influences would you list off?

Because tensions have been high of late, I'll issue the following clarifications so that folks don't use my question as some kind of excuse to get (yet again) offended.

1. I'm not saying that they didn't have huge influence in Hollywood.
2. I'm not trying to mitigate whatever impact they did have, influential or not.
3. I'm not interested in any pro or anti social justice arguments.

I just want to know what those influences are.
he technically baby boomers-filmmakers favorite director, especially in context of 'New Hollywood' generation.
if there was no kurosawa, then there was no george lucas created star wars, which mean he probably wouldn't create @Yoda either, which mean this forum wouldn't exist in the first place.

Now that chop in Hollywood is already huge deal even to this day, how about the breath he gave to german reject like werner herzog, arthouse mafia like tarkovsky, or even chinese cartoonist which is miyazaki..

I guess let's talk more for the feminine lens shall we. Kurosawa's is just undeniable unless one just too new or hard try contrarian.

Ida Lupino

Mostly known for acting but also a good director. Her most well known film would probably be The Hitchhiker (1953), about two ordinary men who are at the mercy of a mere man with a gun.
I liked The Hitchhiker, I felt it delved into themes of a very weird human concept, how a weakling can become the most powerful being imaginable with a heavy piece of metal.

Good to see some respect for the pioneer of women directors. Ida Lupino also directed a couple episodes of TV's Bewitched back in the 1960s. It was one of the better episodes too.

Wow, the Gerwig hate needs to stop, she's a queen!!!

Lady Bird is also in my top 50 movies, and the 2019 Little Women in my top 100. I think Little Women brought a lot of modern appeal to the story, made it warm and loving, definitely one of the most personal experiences I've had at the theater.

Gerwig also co-wrote Frances Ha, so I sorta credit her for it. That's her "best" movie in my opinion, one of my all time favs.
I was expressing my personal opinion, no ‘hate’ involved. I watch many films and Gerwig didn’t have an impact on me. ‘Modern appeal’ is not in itself a virtue, in my opinion. Neither is ‘warm and loving’, if it doesn’t result in a high-quality product. I’ve seen Frances Ha and again, I find Gerwig’s work may well be controlled and well-executed - to an extent - but what I said is I simply didn’t enjoy it, and I stand by that. If we must go into detail, there is no conflict in Ladybird, in my opinion - and the same applies to the Olivia Wilde-directed Booksmart. It’s just young women doing things. I’m sure if it was worth someone’s time to explore that question academically, I.e. why most (before I’m accused of generalising and missing out Bigelow, who to me is an exception that proves the rule) films directed by women are less plot-driven, there are fewer events with forward ramifications for the plot, less action, and the conflict element is less prominent. These things to me are the main ingredients of good movies, and hence I don’t enjoy Gerwig’s work, or Wilde’s.

I was expressing my personal opinion, no ‘hate’ involved. I watch many films and Gerwig didn’t have an impact on me. ‘Modern appeal’ is not in itself a virtue, in my opinion. Neither is ‘warm and loving’, if it doesn’t result in a high-quality product. I’ve seen Frances Ha and again, I find Gerwig’s work may well be controlled and well-executed - to an extent - but what I said is I simply didn’t enjoy it, and I stand by that. If we must go into detail, there is no conflict in Ladybird, in my opinion - and the same applies to the Olivia Wilde-directed Booksmart. It’s just young women doing things. I’m sure if it was worth someone’s time to explore that question academically, I.e. why most (before I’m accused of generalising and missing out Bigelow, who to me is an exception that proves the rule) films directed by women are less plot-driven, there are fewer events with forward ramifications for the plot, less action, and the conflict element is less prominent. These things to me are the main ingredients of good movies, and hence I don’t enjoy Gerwig’s work, or Wilde’s.
Ahwell was just joking around, he's a good guy! One of the nicest people around here

I usually like films directed by women as they are more character driven with emphasis on humanity vs car chases and explosions. Though I'm still not sold on Greata

The pioneer was alice guy blache. Not only the first known woman director but also one of the very first that make narrative films.

Ahwell was just joking around, he's a good guy! One of the nicest people around here

I usually like films directed by women as they are more character driven with emphasis on humanity vs car chases and explosions. Though I'm still not sold on Greata
I don’t know why I got so annoyed tbh, it’s the Coronavirus in the air. No offence intended, Ahwell.

Definitely more character driven. I’ve just remembered I really liked Julia Durournau’s Raw, that was brilliant. I interpreted it as a bit of a satire on vegans, but either way, it was great.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper

Ida Lupino

Hey, that's my favorite Twilight Zone episode!

But do people really care if a movie was directed by a man or a woman though? That doesn't really effect the movie does it? I just found out that my favorite Twilight Zone was directed by a woman. Still my favorite one, doesn't change anything.

But maybe a lot of women are not interested in being directors nowadays perhaps and that is why there is a shortage? Even when I went to film school, it was all males in the class, so maybe there is just a lack of interest? Kind of how the make up department is mostly women for example, where as the directors are mostly men? Just different genders prefer different jobs... Is that the reason for the shortage?

Hey, that's my favorite Twilight Zone episode!

But do people really care if a movie was directed by a man or a woman though? That doesn't really effect the movie does it? I just found out that my favorite Twilight Zone was directed by a woman. Still my favorite one, doesn't change anything.

But maybe a lot of women are not interested in being directors nowadays perhaps and that is why there is a shortage? Even when I went to film school, it was all males in the class, so maybe there is just a lack of interest? Kind of how the make up department is mostly women for example, where as the directors are mostly men? Just different genders prefer different jobs... Is that the reason for the shortage?
It's still fun to draw attention to female directors; People can experience films they might not be aware even existed.

Yeah sorry if that came across as rude, I was joking , of course you’re entitled to that opinion and it’s valid! I just love me some Gerwig.

Yeah sorry if that came across as rude, I was joking , of course you’re entitled to that opinion and it’s valid! I just love me some Gerwig.
I thought I came across as rude tbh. Anyway, glad we’re good.

Account terminated on request
That's how I read it. (Joking, etc.)

I usually like films directed by women as they are more character driven with emphasis on humanity vs car chases and explosions.
Hmmmmm.....

Is that then the reason that they aren't more common? The movie-going-watching public more often than not wants car chases and explosions?
They'll say "I don't care if he's a poet or cowboy, so long as he's a nice guy. But oh, I'm so attracted to that bad guy over there."
Understand this last part, and you'll get them all.