do you collect ?

Tools    

With music I manage to find it much more easy to embrace virtual ownership but with fillums I still very much prefer physical ownership so I guess I kinda do collect. That's not to say I don't stream through legal/safe means though, as I find the availability via that route especially helpful when preparing for things like the MoFo period/genre countdowns for instance.

Almost famous for having nailed Madonna once

"Money won is twice as sweet as money earned."

...I kind of stopped collecting when I realized that once I owned a movie, I rarely ever watched it again...
Me too...I wonder why owning a movie causes a non desire to watch it?

Me too...I wonder why owning a movie causes a non desire to watch it?
Generally speaking it's because you know you can watch it whenever you want, which also means you can put off watching it until 'another time' as often as you want.

Generally speaking it's because you know you can watch it whenever you want, which also means you can put off watching it until 'another time' as often as you want.
Probably true for me. Back when I first got into older movies I wanted to watch all the Busby Berkeley musical movies I could find...only my library didn't have many. So I ended up buying three boxed sets. 15 years later and there are still some movies in that set that I haven't watched. And that's why I gave up buying movies.

all the movie chain stores as far as i know in the states are gone there are some random ones here and there and new england has bullmoose which is still hanging on but isnt strictly a movie place they have video games and music and books too. making a stand for a physical media lol

I've never heard of Bullmoose. Is that just a local store? It sounds like it's similar to Game Stop, before they stopped selling DVDs.

I buy a lot of DVDs, but I'm cheap, so I usually only buy them at garage sales, flea markets, and on Black Friday if they have good sales. I haven't counted them, but I probably have around 1000 DVDs.

I still have a lot of my old VHS tapes too, and I even still have a working VCR. I rarely watch them, but I just haven't decided to give them up yet.

A bucket of anxiety
I collect popular movies I've never seen if I catch them in a thrift shop. I also grab my favorite movies to own if I see them. I also started buying some favorites on YouTube. I also put movies I've always wanted to see on my Netflix list if it's on there but they usually end up sitting around like a DVD too. But that's mainly because I find myself not in the mood for them until it's too late.

I'm also cheap when it comes to picking up dvd's/blu rays. Make a trip a couple times a year to the previously owned movie shop and won't spend more than $.99 on a dvd or more than $2.99 on a blu ray. If I see a blu ray for $.99 and it's something I've heard of there's a good chance I'm grabbing it unless I've already seen and hated it. Sometimes I'll splurge on a 3D movie (has to be under $10) or a Criterion edition (gone as high as $15) if it's something I really like. I take all my VHS to Goodwill once I have them on DVD and don't like buying digital copies at all.

I dig where you're coming from as I too miss the old days of movie rentals,but I do collect and love it.

I still have lots of disks and it has a lot to do with my psychology and, yes, this makes NO sense. After a day of doing almost everything on-line, there's something about having media that doesn't come from the web that's appealing on a completely psychological level, like being cut off from news, entertainment (other than what I'm watching) and the world in general. After midnight, I want something that's not coming in from outside. I have lots of physical media, much of it really bad, especially old horror-sci-fi, completely disorganized and my choices of what to watch are completely arbitrary. That's the point of it.