Views:	75
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	58391   Click image for larger version

Name:	bullet.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	58392  

The Mandalorian counts, right?
My brother put the show on after college football on Saturday. Apollo Creed was in the first episode!

Worth a shot, starring Karl Malden, Slim Pickens, Pina Pellicer, & Marlon Brando

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jacks.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	348.6 KB
ID:	58395  

One-Eyed Jacks will most surely be on some ballots! Cinemaniacs can't help but wonder what it might have turned into had Kubrick not been fired, but as Marlon Brando's sole directorial credit is is definitely memorable.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I don't know if this will help quell some of the eligibility questions or not? I added this explanation to the third post (clicky HERE). But I will reprint it here for discussion...

The IMDb lists all of these next categories and titles as Westerns...

Western Comedies and Parodies ARE Eligible
Just because it's funny doesn't mean you can't vote for it. This includes titles such as but not limited to Blazing Saddles, Destry Rides Again, Cat Ballou,ˇThree Amigos!, Rustlers' Rhapsody, Goin’ South, McLintock!, Apple Dumpling Gang, The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again, Hot Lead and Cold Feet, The Shakiest Gun in the West, The Paleface, Son of Paleface, Heller in Pink Tights, The Frisco Kid, Lightning Jack, "The Cherokee Kid", A Million Ways to Die in the West, The Ridiculous 6, Support Your Local Sheriff!, Support Your Local Gunfighter, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, My Name is Nobody, They Call Me Trinity, Trinity is Still My Name, Wagons East, Almost Heroes, The Adventures of Bullwhip Griffin, Zorro: The Gay Blade, Lust in the Dust, The Villain, Shanghai Noon, Shanghai Knights, Waterhole #3, Rango, City Slickers, and Carry On Cowboy.

Westerns Set Places Other than the United States ARE Eligible
Films that contain the same themes and tropes of the "American" Western but are set in parts of the world that did not become the U.S. of A. are fair game. These can include but are not limited to such titles as Quigley Down Under, Ned Kelly, Australia, The Castaway Cowboy, The Mask of Zorro, Bandidas, Duck, You Sucker/A Fistful of Dynamite, Viva Zapata!, El Topo, Hidalgo, The Proposition, Sukiyaki Western Django, The Man from Snowy River, Walker, Death Hunt and The Good, the Bad and the Weird.

Western Musicals or Animated Westerns ARE Eligible
Singing and dancing or animation aimed primarily at children are not excluded from the genre. Some of the qualifying titles include Oklahoma!, Annie Get Your Gun, Calamity Jane, Paint Your Wagon, The Harvey Girls, Love Me Tender, The One and Only, Genuine, Original Family Band, Rango, Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron, Home on the Range and An American Tail: Fivel Goes West.

Westerns Set in the Modern Day ARE Eligible
Potentially debatable in genre terms to purists, but films set in the 20th or 21st century that have the same themes, archetypes, structure, and settings are potentially Westerns. For some examples, the IMDb lists all of these as Westerns: Giant, Hud, Junior Bonner, The Misfits, The Lusty Men, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, 8 Seconds, My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys, Lonely Are the Brave, Bad Day at Black Rock, The Rider, Little Woods, Old Yeller, Coogan's Bluff, The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada, Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, Comes a Horseman, The Electric Horseman, Extreme Prejudice, Thunderheart, Wanda Nevada, All the Pretty Horses, Billy Jack, Bronco Billy, The Hi-Lo Country, Hell or High Water, Pocket Money, and El Camino Christmas.

Genre Benders Including Western Elements ARE Eligible
This will be the most debatable subset, but films that blend multiple genres including Science Fiction may be included if one of those genres is very clearly the Western. For example the IMDb lists these titles as Westerns: Cowboys & Aliens, Back to the Future Part III, The Dark Tower, Dust Devil, Jonah Hex, and Wild Wild West. Unless or until any title is debated and discussed, they should be considered eligible.

The genre merits of individual titles are always up for debate, but in general it should be understood that comic, foreign, musical, and modern day Westerns are eligible. Whether you choose to include them on your ballot or not is a matter of personal taste, not eligibility.

If you have a question about a specific film you don't see listed above that you think warrants inclusion, either message Holden Pike privately or post it in this thread. But for the sake of brevity and sanity, let's not debate titles for the sake of debating them. If you have a title you want on your ballot that you are unclear whether or not it is eligible, please bring it forward. If you're only asking for the sake of argument and it's nothing you would even want to vote for let's just leave it be, Pilgrims.

Nobody knows how good King Creole (1958) is, it's too bad really, they could have their beignets attitude jazz right down home now on the strip

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	bayou.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	263.1 KB
ID:	58401  

Getting off topic as King Creole most definitely ain't a Western, but yes, out of all of Elvis' movies it is the grittiest and the music in it mostly organic. Matthau is a terrific, charming heavy (as he usually was, early in his career) and Carolyn Jones is outrageously sexy. It's a good flick, for sure.

Elvis Presley did make one "straight" Western early on. Flaming Star (1960), directed by Don Siegel adapted from a Clair Huffaker novel (Huffaker also wrote The War Wagon, Rio Conchos, Seven Ways from Sundown, 100 Rifles, and Chino).

Another one that people may have not heard of (I found out only a few days ago). An Austrian western set somewhere in the Alps. Very spaghetti-like.

The Dark Valley

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I don't know if this will help quell some of the eligibility questions or not? I added this explanation to the third post (clicky HERE). But I will reprint it here for discussion...

Just because it's funny doesn't mean you can't vote for it. This includes titles such as but not limited to Blazing Saddles, Destry Rides Again, Cat Ballou,ˇThree Amigos!, Rustlers' Rhapsody, Goin’ South, McLintock!, Apple Dumpling Gang, The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again, Hot Lead and Cold Feet, The Shakiest Gun in the West, The Paleface, Son of Paleface, Heller in Pink Tights, The Frisco Kid, Lightning Jack, "The Cherokee Kid", A Million Ways to Die in the West, The Ridiculous 6, Support Your Local Sheriff!, Support Your Local Gunfighter, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, My Name is Nobody, They Call Me Trinity, Trinity is Still My Name, Wagons East, Almost Heroes, The Adventures of Bullwhip Griffin, Zorro: The Gay Blade, Lust in the Dust, The Villain, Shanghai Noon, Shanghai Knights, Waterhole #3, Rango, City Slickers, and Carry On Cowboy.

Films that contain the same themes and tropes of the "American" Western but are set in parts of the world that did not become the U.S. of A. are fair game. These can include but are not limited to such titles as Quigley Down Under, Ned Kelly, Australia, The Castaway Cowboy, The Mask of Zorro, Bandidas, Duck, You Sucker/A Fistful of Dynamite, Viva Zapata!, El Topo, Hidalgo, The Proposition, Sukiyaki Western Django, The Man from Snowy River, Walker, Death Hunt and The Good, the Bad and the Weird.

Singing and dancing or animation aimed primarily at children are not excluded from the genre. Some of the qualifying titles include Oklahoma!, Annie Get Your Gun, Calamity Jane, Paint Your Wagon, The Harvey Girls, Love Me Tender, The One and Only, Genuine, Original Family Band, Rango, Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron, Home on the Range and An American Tail: Fivel Goes West.

Potentially debatable in genre terms to purists, but films set in the 20th or 21st century that have the same themes, archetypes, structure, and settings are potentially Westerns. For some examples, the IMDb lists all of these as Westerns: Giant, Hud, Junior Bonner, The Misfits, The Lusty Men, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, 8 Seconds, My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys, Lonely Are the Brave, Bad Day at Black Rock, The Rider, Little Woods, Old Yeller, Coogan's Bluff, The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada, Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, Comes a Horseman, The Electric Horseman, Extreme Prejudice, Thunderheart, Wanda Nevada, All the Pretty Horses, Billy Jack, Bronco Billy, The Hi-Lo Country, Hell or High Water, Pocket Money, and El Camino Christmas.

This will be the most debatable subset, but films that blend multiple genres including Science Fiction may be included if one of those genres is very clearly the Western. For example the IMDb lists these titles as Westerns: Cowboys & Aliens, Back to the Future Part III, The Dark Tower, Dust Devil, Jonah Hex, and Wild Wild West. Unless or until any title is debated and discussed, they should be considered eligible.

The genre merits of individual titles are always up for debate, but in general it should be understood that comic, foreign, musical, and modern day Westerns are eligible. Whether you choose to include them on your ballot or not is a matter of personal taste, not eligibility.

If you have a question about a specific film you don't see listed above that you think warrants inclusion, either message Holden Pike privately or post it in this thread. But for the sake of brevity and sanity, let's not debate titles for the sake of debating them. If you have a title you want on your ballot that you are unclear whether or not it is eligible, please bring it forward. If you're only asking for the sake of argument and it's nothing you would even want to vote for let's just leave it be, Pilgrims.

That is some SERIOUS researching, Holden!!
And definitely clears up a lot of gray area for eligibility -- THANKS!!!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Thanks for the info about these movies. I haven't watched a lot of western movies, but I could almost send in a list just from these movies. But I have six months to watch movies for this list, so I'm going to try to watch some western movies, and send in a more diverse list, including some of the more "standard" westerns.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

That's great and all....but what everyone really wants to know is where does the film Priest fall under?

Right guys?? Right?????

Suspect's Reviews

The Western is a genre that is pretty underrepresented in The Criterion Collection, but here's what they do have...

Stagecoach (1939)
My Darling Clementine (1946)
Red River (1948)
I Shot Jesse James (1949)
Baron of Arizona (1950)
The Furies (1950)
Jubal (1956)
Forty Guns (1957)
3:10 to Yuma (1957)
One-Eyed Jacks (1961)
The Shooting (1966)
Ride the Whilrwind (1966)
McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971)
The New Land (1972)
Heaven’s Gate (1980)
The Ballad of Gregorio Cortez (1982)
Walker (1987)
Dead Man (1995)

Welcome to the human race...
Wow, I'd forgotten about Walker. Remember thinking it was trash when I first saw it forever ago but I have been meaning to give it another chance. While we're on the subject of "unconventional" Westerns, I feel I should remind people that Bubba Ho-Tep counts as a Western according to IMDb.

Another title for the "is this a Western" pile would be Logan. It's not tagged as Western on IMDb, but it's drawn enough comparisons to the genre with its use of tropes and settings (to say nothing of how the film and its characters openly invoke Shane as an influence) that it may merit consideration.

What about the General? IMDB lists it as such and I love it... but don’t really think of it as a Western.

The National Film Registry was established by the United States Congress and is maintained by The Library of Congress working to ensure the survival, conservation, and increased public availability of America's film heritage. These are the Westerns that have been added to the Registry, having been deemed culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant…

The Great Train Robbery (1903)
Hell’s Hinges (1916)
Wild & Woolly (1917)
The Mark of Zorro (1920)
The Iron Horse (1924)
The Big Trail (1930)
Ruggles of Red Gap (1935)
Under Western Stars (1938)
Destry Rides Again (1939)
Stagecoach (1939)
The Mark of Zorro (1940)
Melody Ranch (1940)
The Ox-Bow Incident (1943)
My Darling Clementine (1946)
Red River (1948)
Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)
Winchester ‘73 (1950)
High Noon (1952)
The Naked Spur (1953)
Shane (953)
Johnny Guitar (1954)
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954)
Bad Day at Black Rock (1955)
Oklahoma! (1955)
Giant (1956)
The Searchers (1956)
3:10 to Yuma (1957)
The Tall T (1957)
Rio Bravo (1959)
One-Eyed Jacks (1961)
The Magnificent Seven (1961)
How the West Was Won (1962)
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)
Ride the High Country (1962)
Hud (1963)
Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)
The Wild Bunch (1969)
Little Big Man (1970)
McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971)
Blazing Saddles (1974)
The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)
Unforgiven (1992)

Treasure of the Sierra Madre and Bad Day at Black Rock are two of my favorite films. And while they are certainly "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant", IMO they are not westerns.

Perhaps the NFR considers any film in which someone wears a cowboy-type hat to be a "western".. One wonders if There Will Be Blood will make their list..

Treasure of the Sierra Madre and Bad Day at Black Rock are two of my favorite films. And while they are certainly "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant", IMO they are not westerns.
The National Film Registry does not bother to label films by genre. That was just me looking at their list and reconciling it with what the IMDb lists as Westerns.

We have already accepted Treasure of the Sierra Madre as a Western for the purposes of this MoFo list/ballot. Bad Day at Black Rock hasn't been specifically addressed yet but the IMDb (and other sources) cite it is a modern Western.

If Madre and Black Rock are eligible that doesn't mean you have to consider them for YOUR ballot. If they don't meet your personal definition leave them off, even if you love them.