The MoFo Westerns List

→ in
Tools    

...I'd also like clarification on the eligibility of City Slickers (1991), and also The Frisco Kid (1979) and Back to the Future Part III (1990).
City Slickers (1991)...I've not seen it.
The Frisco Kid (1979)...Definitely a western. Damn good movie too.
Future Part III (1990)...It's been too long since I seen it, I don't think of it as a western.
Future III is certainly a Western, IMDB even lists it as such.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Not taking any stance on The Gold Rush but I'd doubt that happening in Canada would be an issue. At least I consider several films taking place in Australia as westerns.
Very true.
One that leaps to mind is The Proposition with Guy Pearce.
One I'd highly recommend.

Very true.
One that leaps to mind is The Proposition with Guy Pearce.
One I'd highly recommend.
Yes. Posted the trailer for it earlier and just today rewatched it. Very good movie.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Yes. Posted the trailer for it earlier and just today rewatched it. Very good movie.
Saw that - but not before posting about and had a strong feeling it'd be on a list, should you post one.
And yes, D@MN good movie. Excellent Western.

Since I'm on my phone, I WILL be checking on the other trailers later.

As for City Slickers -- a comedy and in Modern Times, but I'd say YES.
Frisco Kid -- ABSOLUTELY
Back To The Future -- This is Time Travel. So I would say NO.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
This will give me an excuse to FINALLY watch Unforgiven.

Suspect's Reviews

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Well, Westerns are not my favourite genre, in fact the Westerns list is the one which I have the lowest percentage of movies seen of any mofo list, but maybe preparing for this countdown will change that! I've got an initial off-the-top-of-my-head list of about 15, but that includes Young Guns so plenty of watching to do...

A couple of quick eligibility questions: do The Revenant (2015) and Ravenous (1999) count as Westerns?

Welcome to the human race...
I would think anything that takes place on a remote frontier kind of location stands a good chance of qualifying so I'd allow Ravenous - what's really stopping it from counting? Likewise with Back to the Future Part III, which takes place almost entirely in the West with only two time travelers in the cast who have to face up to the usual Western tropes so it's got at least as much claim to being a Western as the likes of, say, Blazing Saddles.

Does that video I made and posted a few years ago count, y'all?

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	The West.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	58373  

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
City Slickers YES
The Frisco Kid YES
Back to the Future Part III YES
The Revenant YES
Ravenous YES
The West NO

For those of you with access, Turner Classic Movies has some bonafide classic Westerns on their schedule the next couple days. Tomorrow night (Wednesday November 20th) is McCabe & Mrs. Miller (8pm EST) and The Wild Bunch (3:00am EST) early in the morning. Thursday has The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (8pm EST) and The Searchers (10:15pm EST) with Cheyenne Autumn (4:00am EST) at dawn.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra