Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Tools    

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I get that I'll never have something replace the amaze and wonderment of seeing the original films as a kid. There was no chance that I wouldn't be hooked.

In fairness to the new movies, I wonder if the kids today are having that experience? If they are, that's great. I'll always have the original three (unmolested by any 90's cgi chicanery). These characters just don't seem to pop like the old ones. Maybe because I'm older...?

Its hard and a bit unfair to expect anyone but Lucas to come up with new great Star Wars characters.

Lucas came up with Darth Maul. Its really hard to expect also new Characters to be as good as A Luke Skywalker, Han Solo or Darth Vader.

All i ask is the Characters make like they belong in the Universe that is Star Wars. Think mistake was leaving out Han and Leias 2 other children and not having a child of Luke. If its to end the Skywalker saga where is the Skywalkers.

One Kylo Ren.Least make Rey his sister which would make some since. The Legends book writers wrote all these set ups and cant steal from those great books.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I get that I'll never have something replace the amaze and wonderment of seeing the original films as a kid. There was no chance that I wouldn't be hooked.

In fairness to the new movies, I wonder if the kids today are having that experience? If they are, that's great. I'll always have the original three (unmolested by any 90's cgi chicanery). These characters just don't seem to pop like the old ones. Maybe because I'm older...?

My brother-in-law's nephew likes the Prequels over the Originals because they look better.

I think I was in grade 6 when The Phantom Menace came out and when the teacher asked if anyone had seen it a friend of mine answered yes and he was disappointed because it lacked a good story and focused too much on special effects. He was surprised that kids wanted more story and less spectacle.

That was 1999, this is 2019. Kids are different man.

Suspect's Reviews

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Good to see you speak for all of em

I don't think a comparison using the prequels works when comparing to the OG 3. Especially when they aren't a phenomena. Then again, I'm not much of a intellectual...

A system of cells interlinked
I watched the trailer another time or two, this time specifically looking for instances that could be used as misdirection.

When Rey and Kylo smash the statue/sculpture/display with Vader's helmet on it, she seems to be holding a...dagger? Seems out of place. Anyone know what is up with that?

When we see Rey backing away from Palpatine, we just get an over-the-shoulder of Palpatine. Perhaps it isn't actually him in the flesh? Maybe he has possessed someone, after all, just not Rey?

That said, I clearly hear his voice speaking new lines, so... I dunno, I sill want to see how they explain his presence if he is still alive.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Dothraki in space......

https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/co..._and_suddenly/

I guess its got to be inside a planets atmosphere.

I watched the trailer another time or two, this time specifically looking for instances that could be used as misdirection.

When Rey and Kylo smash the statue/sculpture/display with Vader's helmet on it, she seems to be holding a...dagger? Seems out of place. Anyone know what is up with that?
Rey and Ren seem to be meeting in too many places for it to be legit.

When we see Rey backing away from Palpatine, we just get an over-the-shoulder of Palpatine. Perhaps it isn't actually him in the flesh? Maybe he has possessed someone, after all, just not Rey?

That said, I clearly hear his voice speaking new lines, so... I dunno, I sill want to see how they explain his presence if he is still alive.
Dark Rey is sitting on the throne no? seems to fit, wearing a cloak and all.

Yeah, something like that (the cavalry thing).

Really wish that hadn't been in the trailer because that'd be a pretty awesome moment to be surprised by.

Luke was not very smart when i lowered his guard to the emperor and Yoda. Rey backing up and being causious is one of the smartest things a Jedi has ever done.

When Rey and Kylo smash the statue/sculpture/display with Vader's helmet on it, she seems to be holding a...dagger? Seems out of place. Anyone know what is up with that?.
If the leaks are true, then it propels the story.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I took my nephew to see Rogue One at the theater whenever it was out. He was 11 or 12. Anyway, afterwards we were at a grocery story picking up a few things and I made a Star Wars reference. He didn't pick up on it but offered a fake laugh and an awkward come back that made no sense in the context of what I had said so I asked him if he knew wtf a Wookiee was. He admitted that he did not.

We left to go to Best Buy and I bought the OT boxed set to watch that weekend. A month or so later I made him watch the prequels. He said he liked the original trilogy more, for whatever reason. I think he said the prequels were too silly with Jar Jar, but the saber fights were better. But no, I do not think he was enraptured with any of it the way I was at his age watching the OT on VHS. But then again, I'm not sure space existed before Star Wars came out. Kids today just take it for granted. Same with special effects.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

You have to remember that today's kids are used to live-action fantasy films with elaborate special effects. Not only do they see them in theaters; they can see them on TV and on video every day. In 1977 the first film set the bar for the many that followed and it would not be seen on cable TV for a couple of years and on regular TV for about five. (We oldtime fans should remember we've also seen many films since then.)

But Star Wars was popular not only for its special effects. Others tried to top the special effects and weren't as popular. The key to Star Wars' success is its fun and heart.

My son is going to be 3 by the end of this year. He knows what Star Wars is...how I have no idea. He sees it on tv and yells STAH WARZ. So I will one day sit him down and watch them...in what order? I do not know yet. I'm just trying to figure out a good age that it will be an "awe" moment for him and not a "yawn" moment. I have to keep modern movies away from him until I show him Star Wars, hahaha.

I think a big question asked elsewhere is do you watch the OT first or start with 1,2 and 3 and ruin one of films greatest surprises.

Welcome to the human race...
Have you heard of the "451236" order? That way you don't get "spoiled" by the prequels and the prequels essentially play as one big flashback, plus that way you don't have to go straight from the OT's great ending to three straight movies of inferiority and then end on the prequels' downer note.

I relented and read all the leaks on reddit, in part because I'm not particularly bothered at all about spoiling this film. Obviously I'll refrain from posting any spoilers or predictions, but the latest trailer seems to confirm at lot of the leaks that came out a while ago.

The leaks obviously need to be met with scepticism but if they are on point then I think Rise will manage something I didn't think possible, to be just as bad or worse than TLJ.

It's gonna have to be about 3 hours + aswell.

Have you heard of the "451236" order? That way you don't get "spoiled" by the prequels and the prequels essentially play as one big flashback, plus that way you don't have to go straight from the OT's great ending to three straight movies of inferiority and then end on the prequels' downer note.
I have and I worry if I make him watch 4,5, then 3 prequel movies...he'll forget how Empire ended. I'll need to do a recap of some sort. I've also heard you can basically skip 1 all together...but meh.

I relented and read all the leaks on reddit, in part because I'm not particularly bothered at all about spoiling this film. Obviously I'll refrain from posting any spoilers or predictions, but the latest trailer seems to confirm at lot of the leaks that came out a while ago.

The leaks obviously need to be met with scepticism but if they are on point then I think Rise will manage something I didn't think possible, to be just as bad or worse than TLJ.

It's gonna have to be about 3 hours + aswell.
If the leaks are true, this movie will be terrible.

Welcome to the human race...
I have and I worry if I make him watch 4,5, then 3 prequel movies...he'll forget how Empire ended. I'll need to do a recap of some sort. I've also heard you can basically skip 1 all together...but meh.
I guess so. I don't remember the first time I watched any of the OT, let alone if it was before or after watching Phantom Menace in theatres.

If the leaks are true, this movie will be terrible.
I mean its hard to read something on paper and come to a definitive conclusion, JJ could nail the execution, nail the comedy (unlike TLJ) and Williams score could be tugging our emotions at the right moments. It could really be a "battle of winterfell" type deal, fantastic episode but afterwards you're like, hang on......wut?

I think its really gonna be a real shame that JJ didn't just do the whole thing, and he's unfortunately been left with a bit of an unsalvageable mess to clean up. I mean TFA wasn't perfect but it won acclaim from everywhere (yes there were dissenters) and made gazillions of dollars, so I wonder what JJ REALLY thought about TLJ.

I've been reading some of the reddit stories about in house drama at Lucasfilm regarding this trilogy, obviously to be taken with a grain of salt as they aren't verifiable, but aren't proven to be false either.

-JJ preferred to work alone at Bad Robot offices annoying KK and Lucasfilm
-JJ and KK don't get along, don't speak
-Leads to decision for separate directors
-Rian comes in. has JJ change ending of TFA (I'm not clear on how)
-Rian and JJ don't get along either and never meet up discuss plans
-Rian takes over, works at Lucasfilm much more friendly with KK etc
-Rian seemingly out of pure ego/pettiness along with KK set out to undo JJ's work or at least completely go their own way story wise.
-TLJ happens, Solo happens
-KK now apparently has diminished role
-Iger (Disney CEO) steps in cancels planned prequels, brings JJ back

Obviously some public statements made by JJ etc contradict the above, but I think JJ is at least smart enough not to anger Disney by stating how he really feels, and is probably tied to confidentiality agreements.

I really hope that this hasn't all happened because JJ and KK aren't friendly.