Note from Yoda's Wife

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
Just a bandage that has this little grippy texture and "self-adheres" so you don't need any tape:

They showed me how to wrap it before I left, seems easy, and it doesn't cost much. I was impressed throughout all this by how much better a lot of the little things like this are, compared to when I was younger. They have this moist yellow bandage thing you put on the wound before covering it with gauze that stops it from getting "stuck" on the wound so you have to hurt yourself pulling it off later. Tiny thing, but really helpful.
I didn't realize these bandages had their own name. I used them a few times when I turned my ankle. We just called them self-adhesive Ace bandages. They're nicer than using Ace bandages that need the little metal clips.

Could the swelling be related to whatever that "bone puncture" thing is? And, are we talking balloon-freakish swelling or just tight-skin, feels-weird swelling?

Hope you're continuing on the mend!

It was freakish swelling before, but now it's down to the tight-skin part. And it still looks weird next to the normal index finger on the other hand. But it all sounds normal, puncture or no. We've got some vitamin E and bandages arriving from Amazon tomorrow and that'll be part of the daily routine for a few weeks.

@Yoda, a week later, how is your hand doing now?

Not bad. The wound is closed up (it's amazing how fast it closed up after the first week, where I suppose all the healing was internal) more or less entirely. Very noticeable scar, and it's still tight and occasionally hurts. The knuckle hurts with much of any use. But I can do most things by myself, opening jars or tight lids is just about the only thing I can't do. I've been able to play softball without restraining myself too much, as well, even if a few activities there are uncomfortable.

All in all, it's a lot better than it could've been.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Not bad. The wound is closed up (it's amazing how fast it closed up after the first week, where I suppose all the healing was internal) more or less entirely. Very noticeable scar, and it's still tight and occasionally hurts. The knuckle hurts with much of any use. But I can do most things by myself, opening jars or tight lids is just about the only thing I can't do. I've been able to play softball without restraining myself too much, as well, even if a few activities there are uncomfortable.

Huh. I figured softball would come much later. Was that your throwing or catching hand? Are you batting?? If so, how is the pull or twisting motion affecting your pain? Is the pain affecting your control? Just pushing through it? Or is it more about joint and muscle stiffness that eases with effort?

lol sorry for so many questions. not much going on here at work today... yet.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Huh. I figured softball would come much later. Was that your throwing or catching hand? Are you batting?? If so, how is the pull or twisting motion affecting your pain? Is the pain affecting your control? Just pushing through it? Or is it more about joint and muscle stiffness that eases with effort?

Throwing, and index finger, so maybe the worst finger for all this. They told me two weeks and it was a little hard to believe, but they were right. Hand stuff can heal really quick.

I took a swing and hit a ball eight days after the injury, and even with some bandage padding and a batting glove it hurt a lot worse than I'd expected, so I stopped. I did it again six days later (IE: two weeks after the injury) and it felt, not good but not that bad either.

It was a little worse the last time I hit (Tuesday), but not awful. It hurts a little to grip anything tight but I'm supposed to do it anyway. I'm not really sure how much it might be hurting my actual performance. Presumably some. But at this point it's more moderate pain and a lot of stiffness.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Very cool. Not the pain, but that you're able to do that already. I really assumed the jarring impact would be more than enough to give it up for a season. I'm a wimp tho lol. my standards are low

Thanks for the update. I'm sure it will become even easier with a bit more time and effort.

The trick is not minding

You sound like the manager of his team trying to decide if he should be benched 😜

Sounds like you're recovering fairly well - got to be honest I'd probably still be milking it and getting my food cut up for me, shoes and buttons done up, lawn mowed etc. for at least another fortnight if not a bit longer