Do you still own your very first DVD?

Tools    

I think a lot of people are in the same boat as me.

When DVD first came out mainstream in 1996, by 1999 VHS was pretty much redundant. Within 3 years DVD smashed the tech-war.

Blu-Ray became mainstream in 2006.
11 years later, and DVDs are still outselling Blu-Rays.

Says a lot.

DVDs have less on them these days because the companies can make Blu-Ray for less and they can charge more to buy them.
You also need to buy a new TV, player, internet connection to play Blu-Ray as well.

It's all cash cash cash and stalwart DVD users like us are punished for not forking out £1500 yearly into the suits' pockets.
Erm... no. You do not need to have an internet connection to play Blu rays. What a bizarre idea.
Some (very few) offer exclusive special features that might be accessed from particular sites, but nothing major. What strange ideas people have!

I was a Blu ray skeptic until my old TV died three years ago and I had to upgrade to a HD TV, and got a bigger one too. It's true that many modern DVDs are fine (though that may be less so if you've got a TV bigger than mine) but there are oodles of old DVDs of older films that just do not cut the mustard anymore and, indeed, look like absolute **** on a bigger HD TV. I've still got hundreds of DVDs (esp TV ones) but I wouldn't buy one over a Blu ray for a favourite film if given the option.

Erm... no. You do not need to have an internet connection to play Blu rays. What a bizarre idea.
Some (very few) offer exclusive special features that might be accessed from particular sites, but nothing major. What strange ideas people have!

I was a Blu ray skeptic until my old TV died three years ago and I had to upgrade to a HD TV, and got a bigger one too. It's true that many modern DVDs are fine (though that may be less so if you've got a TV bigger than mine) but there are oodles of old DVDs of older films that just do not cut the mustard anymore and, indeed, look like absolute **** on a bigger HD TV. I've still got hundreds of DVDs (esp TV ones) but I wouldn't buy one over a Blu ray for a favourite film if given the option.
What size is your hdtv?

I agree that some dvd's upscale beautifully on a blu ray deck. Others look horrible, pixelated, mushy and overly sharpened. It's all in the authoring (ever catch those ugly 30fps movements on a badly flagged signal?)

Another thing I love about DVDs is that, IMO, there is nothing more satisfying than a boxed set. They are usually packaged and produced very nicely and they look great on the shelf. Just bought the boxed set of ...

Another thing I love about DVDs is that, IMO, there is nothing more satisfying than a boxed set. They are usually packaged and produced very nicely and they look great on the shelf. Just bought the boxed set of ...

Agree with this... one thing that gets me though, is stuff like Netflix advertising that you can have a "box set" for x amount of cash and a an online password.

I had no idea that a non-physical online stream of a TV series that you use a password to access, online, in a non-physical way... like, something that is not in a box... or presented any kind of actual physical set... could be classed as a box set.
That's either incredibly amazing, or false advertising.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Agree with this... one thing that gets me though, is stuff like Netflix advertising that you can have a "box set" for x amount of cash and a an online password.

I had no idea that a non-physical online stream of a TV series that you use a password to access, online, in a non-physical way... like, something that is not in a box... or presented any kind of actual physical set... could be classed as a box set.
That's either incredibly amazing, or false advertising.

IMO, it's false advertising. If it's not actual DVDs in some type of box (or similar container), it's not a box set.

What size is your hdtv?

I agree that some dvd's upscale beautifully on a blu ray deck. Others look horrible, pixelated, mushy and overly sharpened. It's all in the authoring (ever catch those ugly 30fps movements on a badly flagged signal?)
39.5 inches. Not exactly massive, but still a lot bigger than my old one and the difference was very noticeable on a number of older DVDs. Some that seemed fine before looked absolutely terrible on a bigger screen.

39.5 inches. Not exactly massive, but still a lot bigger than my old one and the difference was very noticeable on a number of older DVDs. Some that seemed fine before looked absolutely terrible on a bigger screen.

Adjust the tracking

I hear you.

Another thing I really hate is when a box set is offered that is actually nothing more than all six season DVDs packaged together. That is not a box set. A box set is something that has been specially designed & packaged. Some very good ones have been The Sopranos, The Wire, SATC, The Shield, Mad Men, etc., etc. Breaking Bad had a great box set, but only in Blu Ray, which I don't have.

My families first DVD was Legally Blonde, think it might have came with the DVD Player. It might still be in my parents i dunno. Can't remember what my first DVD was.

Based on the truth.. and lies.
I think it was either the matrix or the day after tomorrow when they came out and I have both still.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
No, I don't own the old director's edition DVD of The Wrath of Khan anymore since Dad sold it off back in the day, but it hardly matters since I now own the Blu-ray that has both cuts.

I do. First DVD I bought was The Shawshank Redemption and I bought it before I even had a DVD player because it was £10 back when DVD's were closer to £25.

I believe it was Reservoir Dogs, a very basic dvd edition with a cover I didn't like. Upgraded to a collector's edition digipack foldout style dvd before blu-ray came about and still got that edition. The first Reservoir Dogs dvd I think I managed to sell on ebay.

No.

My first DVD was this edition of Sergio Leone's The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

For the first time it had some of the deleted footage not used in the 177 minute cut. Since MGM elected not to release it on Laser Disc, of which I had nearing a thousand at the time, I got my first DVD player. It was actually a combo LD/DVD player. And this disc.

In the subsequent years better quality editions of the Leone classic were released, so I sold off that first DVD.

I do still have my first ever LDs. I have a MUCH greater affection for my laser discs than my DVDs.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

A system of cells interlinked
Negative.

The first DVD I ever bought was Blade Runner : The Director's Cut, which I bought in 1997-98 or so. Anyone who has had the misfortune of watching the first release on DVD of this film knows who abysmal that transfer was. Good luck reading the scrolling text at the start of the film! Not willing to pass this abomination on to someone else, it ended up exactly where it belonged: In the trash.