The Equalizer 2

Tools    

Release Date: September 29, 2017
Studio: Columbia Pictures
Director: Antoine Fuqua
Screenwriter: Richard Wenk
Starring: Denzel Washington
Plot: Unknown at this time. This is a sequel to the the 2014 film, "The Equalizer", which is based on the TV series about a retired agent who's a hired gun for vengeance.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
Melissa Leo is returning to her role of retired CIA operative Susan Plummer. While her role in the original was small, her role is bigger in the sequel.

Shooting begins this fall.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
Nice to see this is still going ahead.
This film is why Antoine Fuqua left the Scarface reboot. Sony wants him and Denzel to get ready for it.

This is the first I've heard of this...the first film was a lot of fun, thanks to Denzel.
Yeah, he and his input was a big part of its success. I also think Marton Csokas added a lot.

One of the best action films of this decade for sure! I'm looking forward to this
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

I liked The Equalizer very much, despite it not being quite as good as I hoped at the time. It's still a favourite of mine that I enjoy going back to.

When the sequel was announced I decided I would do everything possible to avoid spoilers. I didn't read anything about the film and its plot during production and release. I didn't watch the trailer and even managed to blot out any relevant details when it came on during the adverts .

I think The Equalizer 2 is one of the best sequels I've seen. It's solid and for me 9/10. Just like the first film, it will be something I can go back to and find more to like every time, especially watching Denzel Washington, who gave another really deep and riveting performance.

One interesting thing is that it reminded me of the Dirty Harry films. So as not to spoil those films I'll tell you what I'm thinking of in spoiler tags:

WARNING: spoilers below
Magnum Force (1973), itself an excellent sequel, opted to make the threat come from within rather than without. When McCall's new enemies were revealed to be his own ex-colleagues, I immediately thought of the similar confrontation scene between Callahan and the motorcycle cops.